• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modern ASM #667 variant sells for $9K

429 posts in this topic

To Valiantman's point, however, at least the 608 is the kick off issue to the Hush saga, one of the top Bats storylines of the last 20 years. The comparison kinda crumbles at that point. And if the art is such a driving force then the foreign editions have the same cover art for next to nothing.

So I guess I'm in the this is unsustainable hype category of observer. Where's my cane? :preach:

To Valiantman's point, however, at least the 608 is the kick off issue to the Hush saga, one of the top Bats storylines of the last 20 years. The comparison kinda crumbles at that point. And if the art is such a driving force then the foreign editions have the same cover art for next to nothing.

So I guess I'm in the this is unsustainable hype category of observer. Where's my cane? :preach:

Art is a determining factor for some collectors though. They want the first iteration of the cover art not a foreign variant or bootleg. People can easily buy a marvel milestone of af #15 for next to nothing as well.

Also , I don't own the asm 667. Don't want one either fwiw. However , I am in the camp that doesn't dismiss moderns. I collect modern, copper , bronze and silver.

1. The storyline is irrelevant. People are buying it because of the rarity.

2. The cover is available on the foreign editions, that are worthless, so no one cares.

3. Batman 608 RRP = ASM 667 Dell'Otto

The craziest thing to me about some of these "rare cool cover" modern sales is that you could get an actual OA piece from the same artist for a similar price.

At $9k you could buy 2 decent Dell'Otto published covers.

To each their own but I know what I would choose.

2. The cover is available on the foreign editions, that are worthless, so no one cares.

If you say so, Dan.

Batman 608 RRP has the story line, the art and the rarity, while this one has.....rarity. So, yeah exactly the same thing! meh

I'm the "seller" in question and I don't think anyone would call me crazy for not jumping at the highest offer with whom I felt comfortable selling to. The last time WD emailed me on eBay was Jan 1. The next time WD emailed me was Jan 4. Should I wait? You snooze, you lose. I was getting bombarded with emails with hard to pass up offers. Most people would say, "why the hell is a modern like this even worth this much?" I bet all of those people would agree my sale made a lot of sense.

I think you are might be the smartest person in the world. Seriously... now the question is what will you do with that money? That is what will MAKE you the smartest man in the world.

This artificial rarity created with variants boggles my mind.

Newsstand and 35 cent 'variants' boggle my mind.

ASM #667 was a company saying "let's make something rare and people will want it".

Newsstand and 35 cent variants are a company saying "let's make something for a different market and see if it works over there".

ASM #667 is artificial rarity from day one, newsstands and 35 cent variants are organic rarity decades later.

There is a difference... but I know... STFU because I'm asking for people to wait decades before any book is worth $9,000.

If you say so, Dan.

Batman 608 RRP has the story line, the art and the rarity, while this one has.....rarity. So, yeah exactly the same thing! meh

Exactly. It has nothing going for it except the (apparent) rarity. History says that's a bad bet.

I don't quite see this as the sky is falling scenario that many make it out to be. I don't really collect variants, and I agree that there are some crazy prices being realized for what are essentially just pin-ups. But in this particular case I can explain the mania to myself because this is an impossible to find variant of a Spider-Man comic in the actual original Amazing Spider-Man title run, and Spidey collectors are legion and INSANE. :insane:

It's not a book I'd be interested in at all for my personal collection, and of course I PERSONALLY would rather buy another AF15 or Hulk 1 or whatever your flavor is. But if you're a Spidey collector that's already finished up the main ASM run and are hunting down the truly rare odds and ends, I could see how this would get your motor running.

That being said, I don't get the appeal of the guy's art, and don't really like the cover. Hope the buyer is happy and congrats to the seller!

How do you figure? Last I checked, 667 (a bull:censored: number anyway - see my sig ;) ) is higher than 441.

But yes, the cover is unremarkable, especially with all that pasted on top of the art.

I am out of the small and illustrious ASM 667 club, but I'm $9,000 richer... who was saying that this wouldn't sell? You wouldn't believe how many emails I received. You also wouldn't believe how many offers north of $7.5K I received. I am sure I will regret selling it. To anyone who says that it is "absurd" that a modern can fetch this much... here's a warm glass of STFU. Thanks :)

:o Well that settles that then. lol

I saw when it first hit ebay. Something like 50 views an hour with 40 watchers in 18 hours, and the book sold in under a day. Flipping books is not my thing, but I'd say yours was a successful one.

Congrats on the sale, and yeah I'll be taking your membership key to the club house on your way out the door. :grin:

-J.

Before anyone pops champagne corks for this individual, take note of the following:

Item listed for sale. I contact with an offer. Seller says fine, contact via CGC boards. I am tied up with family business for a day and in different timezone.

Seller sends a message via Ebay, asking if I still want the item. I say yes, and follow up with another email.

Then I learn via my good friend Master Jay here the item has been sold. I check the thread, and sure enough, here's the seller gloating ( :boo: ) When I advise this is unprofessional, I am advised "it is what it is" and that I am letting my emotions "get the better of me", which is ridiculous as anyone who has done business with me would know.

So, one seller with more $ (albeit temporarily I'm guessing) but far less credibility.

I think I will now go and snap up another AF#15 in the 2.0-3.0 grade. With a professional seller...

:popcorn:

If World Devourer is going to buy an AF15 instead then I say he got lucky that the situation ended up this way. If the seller was gloating before informing potential buyers then that is some weak sauce!

And that right there is why the book sold for so much. Any day of the week you can get an Amazing Fantasy. The 667 however you cannot.

I am out of the small and illustrious ASM 667 club, but I'm $9,000 richer... who was saying that this wouldn't sell? You wouldn't believe how many emails I received. You also wouldn't believe how many offers north of $7.5K I received. I am sure I will regret selling it. To anyone who says that it is "absurd" that a modern can fetch this much... here's a warm glass of STFU. Thanks :)

:o Well that settles that then. lol

I saw when it first hit ebay. Something like 50 views an hour with 40 watchers in 18 hours, and the book sold in under a day. Flipping books is not my thing, but I'd say yours was a successful one.

Congrats on the sale, and yeah I'll be taking your membership key to the club house on your way out the door. :grin:

-J.

Before anyone pops champagne corks for this individual, take note of the following:

Item listed for sale. I contact with an offer. Seller says fine, contact via CGC boards. I am tied up with family business for a day and in different timezone.

Seller sends a message via Ebay, asking if I still want the item. I say yes, and follow up with another email.

Then I learn via my good friend Master Jay here the item has been sold. I check the thread, and sure enough, here's the seller gloating ( :boo: ) When I advise this is unprofessional, I am advised "it is what it is" and that I am letting my emotions "get the better of me", which is ridiculous as anyone who has done business with me would know.

So, one seller with more $ (albeit temporarily I'm guessing) but far less credibility.

I think I will now go and snap up another AF#15 in the 2.0-3.0 grade. With a professional seller...

:popcorn:

If World Devourer is going to buy an AF15 instead then I say he got lucky that the situation ended up this way. If the seller was gloating before informing potential buyers then that is some weak sauce!

And that right there is why the book sold for so much. Any day of the week you can get an Amazing Fantasy. The 667 however you cannot.

Bingo. You can find a AF 15 literally any minute of the day. A Dell'Otto 667 (or a Batman 608 RRP)? You cannot.

Or the Ditko ASM 700 variant. How is that one doing?

Pretty good for a 1:200:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=spider%20man%20700%20ditko&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

I also think it's a very psychological phenomenon that people think the covers on these lower print are "better" than the regular prints. I mean do these companies really save the "cooler" covers for the variants???

You're right. Ramos is a much better artist than Dell 'Otto.

bad_boys_20.gif