• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modern ASM #667 variant sells for $9K

429 posts in this topic

It looks like some of you don't follow Moderns.

Prepare to have your gaskets blown.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9589044#Post9589044

If you all like Dell Otto moderns,check out the Dell Otto variants for ASM 683,684,687 and 688. whitch by the way are nicer than the 667 variant.

The 'Ends of the Earth' variants start at 682 and end at 687.... I think.

For the uninitiated, with regard to the 667 Dell'otto, I did a little research piece on it last year. Here is the link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9184753&fpart=8

(towards the bottom of the page)

In a nutshell, not only is Dell'otto one of the best and most popular artists around, the 667 was only his second cover on the title and it was the last 1:100 on the title. So it was already going to be rare. Contrary to a few of the comments in this thread, the book was also a "Part 1" of the Spider Island storyline. Marvel's big crossover event that year that later got its own title during the Secret Wars.

This Dell'otto variant was not announced in any dealer solicitation for ordering at any point before the initial final order cut-off for that month. The only announced variant for 667 that month was a Fantastic Four 50th anniversary variant , which could be ordered in unlimited quantities as long as retailers hit a certain percentage of orders from the prior month (not very hard to do). This is how most of Marvel's variants are offered now. High ratio Incentive variants like the 667 are being phased out.

On the day of the final order cut-off , Marvel announced the Dell'otto as a last minute addition, and extended the order cut-off on just that one book by only one week. Assuming dealers even noticed the book, they would have had to gone back into their accounts again just to order this one variant. And that's only if they ordered 100 copies of the regular cover of the 667- that means that all those orders of the unrestricted FF variant would not count.

This triple whammy of occurrences has led to the extraordinary rarity of the book. It turned a book that would have had "manufactured rarity" regardless, into something unexpectedly special. If you've followed this book, you know that it's been a four figure book since basically 2012 (it came out in 2011) and has been a phenomenon unto itself virtually since the day it was released. If you are an ASM collector/completionist, a Dell'otto fan/collector, a rare variant hunter, you know about this book and you want this book. Five and a half years on, the book selling for thousands the few times it comes up for sale in a year, and still just 29 slabs to go around. Compared to Bats 608RRP, a book also rarely sold, but with nearly 300 slabs (10X more!). It's not hard to see why the 667 is at the top of whole lot of lists.

-J.

Thanks for the explanation. Still not understanding why it would command $9000 in 9.8, but that provides some context.

(thumbs u

The modern market is driven almost entirely by cover, artist, and rarity. We have the advent of CGC to partially thank for that.

For the modern variant collector, the 667 is the Holy Grail, even more so in a 9.8, with only 14 graded copies. (As compared to 64 for the also very rare and desirable Bats 608RRP, and that is a $4k++ book in a 9.8 now with 50 more potential copies to hit the market, that also almost never do). As Flying Donut has stated , both books feature A list characters, are rare, and are buried deep within their respective characters' flagship titles' core run.

Except one (the 667) has one-tenth the amount of available slabs than the other has (Bats 608RRP).

-J.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9589044#Post9589044

If you all like Dell Otto moderns,check out the Dell Otto variants for ASM 683,684,687 and 688. whitch by the way are nicer than the 667 variant.

yeah! very nice Dell Otto covers.

Congrats to the seller, 9K ludicrous. I am now taking offers on mine. :whistle:

What grade is your copy?

Jerome

Its as NM as one can get, but alas I am one of those completists that has to have everything in my ASM run.

yeah! very nice Dell Otto covers.

Agreed :cloud9:

Though it still drives me nuts that #685, part four of six... says five of six on the cover. :ohnoez:

Congrats to the seller, 9K ludicrous. I am now taking offers on mine. :whistle:

What grade is your copy?

Jerome

Its as NM as one can get, but alas I am one of those completists that has to have everything in my ASM run.

:headbang: Come join us in the Dell'Otto thread and show off your book!

*one of us....one of us......*

Jerome

This book will be at beanie baby value in 10 years.

Thread over.

Which Beanie Baby?

The best of the best beanie babies still routinely sell for over $1,000 or more. The ones before the over saturation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Ty-Inch-Inchworm-Beanie-Babies-Baby-1995-Pvc-Pellets-Style-4044-Swing-Tag-/302149528449?hash=item465983eb81:g:VOgAAOSw4GVYOdou

JIM

This book will be at beanie baby value in 10 years.

Thread over.

Which Beanie Baby?

The best of the best beanie babies still routinely sell for over $1,000 or more. The ones before the over saturation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Ty-Inch-Inchworm-Beanie-Babies-Baby-1995-Pvc-Pellets-Style-4044-Swing-Tag-/302149528449?hash=item465983eb81:g:VOgAAOSw4GVYOdou

JIM

Zero feedback "winner" and quite a few unsold at much cheaper BINs. Probably a fake sale.

...but yeah, some of them do sell for $1000+ still. Just not that one probably. :grin:

Congrats on the sale or whatever.

I still say its an ugly Dell'Otto cover, who I regard as a very good modern comic book painter... but to each his own.

Not sure anyone was saying it 'would not sell', I think the argument all along was that people were touting it as a good value, when... well, to each his own. Some of us have been around long enough to see the repeat behavior of things like this....

For the uninitiated, with regard to the 667 Dell'otto, I did a little research piece on it last year. Here is the link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9184753&fpart=8

In a nutshell, not only is Dell'otto one of the best and most popular artists around, the 667 was only his second cover on the title and it was the last 1:100 on the title. So it was already going to be rare. Contrary to a few of the comments in this thread, the book was also a "Part 1" of the Spider Island storyline. Marvel's big crossover event that year that later got its own title during the Secret Wars.

This Dell'otto variant was not announced in any dealer solicitation for ordering at any point before the initial final order cut-off for that month. The only announced variant for 667 that month was a Fantastic Four 50th anniversary variant , which could be ordered in unlimited quantities as long as retailers hit a certain percentage of orders from the prior month (not very hard to do). This is how most of Marvel's variants are offered now. High ratio Incentive variants like the 667 are being phased out.

On the day of the final order cut-off , Marvel announced the Dell'otto as a last minute addition, and extended the order cut-off on just that one book by only one week. Assuming dealers even noticed the book, they would have had to gone back into their accounts again just to order this one variant. And that's only if they ordered 100 copies of the regular cover of the 667- that means that all those orders of the unrestricted FF variant would not count.

This triple whammy of occurrences has led to the extraordinary rarity of the book. It turned a book that would have had "manufactured rarity" regardless, into something unexpectedly special. If you've followed this book, you know that it's been a four figure book since basically 2012 (it came out in 2011) and has been a phenomenon unto itself virtually since the day it was released. If you are an ASM collector/completionist, a Dell'otto fan/collector, a rare variant hunter, you know about this book and you want this book. Five and a half years on, the book selling for thousands the few times it comes up for sale in a year, and still just 29 slabs to go around. Compared to Bats 608RRP, a book also rarely sold, but with nearly 300 slabs (10X more!). It's not hard to see why the 667 is at the top of whole lot of lists.

-J.

I'm a bit confused about you claiming that this was the last 1:100 variant in the ASM 1-700 line, because that would be the ASM 700 Quesada variant, which was 1:100 (Ditko was 1:200, and I believe the Quesada Sketch Variant was 1:150)

-J.

I'm a bit confused about you claiming that this was the last 1:100 variant in the ASM 1-700 line, because that would be the ASM 700 Quesada variant, which was 1:100 (Ditko was 1:200, and I believe the Quesada Sketch Variant was 1:150)

Never let the facts ruin a good story.