• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modern ASM #667 variant sells for $9K

429 posts in this topic

For the uninitiated, with regard to the 667 Dell'otto, I did a little research piece on it last year. Here is the link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9184753&fpart=8

(towards the bottom of the page)

In a nutshell, not only is Dell'otto one of the best and most popular artists around, the 667 was only his second cover on the title and it was the last 1:100 on the title. So it was already going to be rare. Contrary to a few of the comments in this thread, the book was also a "Part 1" of the Spider Island storyline. Marvel's big crossover event that year that later got its own title during the Secret Wars.

This Dell'otto variant was not announced in any dealer solicitation for ordering at any point before the initial final order cut-off for that month. The only announced variant for 667 that month was a Fantastic Four 50th anniversary variant , which could be ordered in unlimited quantities as long as retailers hit a certain percentage of orders from the prior month (not very hard to do). This is how most of Marvel's variants are offered now. High ratio Incentive variants like the 667 are being phased out.

On the day of the final order cut-off , Marvel announced the Dell'otto as a last minute addition, and extended the order cut-off on just that one book by only one week. Assuming dealers even noticed the book, they would have had to gone back into their accounts again just to order this one variant. And that's only if they ordered 100 copies of the regular cover of the 667- that means that all those orders of the unrestricted FF variant would not count.

This triple whammy of occurrences has led to the extraordinary rarity of the book. It turned a book that would have had "manufactured rarity" regardless, into something unexpectedly special. If you've followed this book, you know that it's been a four figure book since basically 2012 (it came out in 2011) and has been a phenomenon unto itself virtually since the day it was released. If you are an ASM collector/completionist, a Dell'otto fan/collector, a rare variant hunter, you know about this book and you want this book. Five and a half years on, the book selling for thousands the few times it comes up for sale in a year, and still just 29 slabs to go around. Compared to Bats 608RRP, a book also rarely sold, but with nearly 300 slabs (10X more!). It's not hard to see why the 667 is at the top of whole lot of lists.

-J.

I'm a bit confused about you claiming that this was the last 1:100 variant in the ASM 1-700 line, because that would be the ASM 700 Quesada variant, which was 1:100 (Ditko was 1:200, and I believe the Quesada Sketch Variant was 1:150)

Never let the facts ruin a good story.

doh! Ah look at that, ya got me. Ya got me on the one trifling point that actually does not have anything to do with the book's desirability.

So I'll clarify it for you- it was the last (and only) 1:100 on the title until the run's final big event issue at 700, and the only 1:100 between issues 649 and 699.

All better now? Gooooood. lol

-J.

Saved The Fees Underhandedly

Do you know this for certain?

I know the last two listings of the book that were on e-bay ended without a sale.

I don't know for certain that either sale occurred nor do I know the prices paid, I am basing that on what has been posted by the buyer/seller.

hm

Saved The Fees Underhandedly

Do you know this for certain?

I know the last two listings of the book that were on e-bay ended without a sale.

I don't know for certain that either sale occurred nor do I know the prices paid, I am basing that on what has been posted by the buyer/seller.

hm

Most comic book sales are private.

And $9k for a 9.8 (first 9.8 offered publicly since 2013) is certainly commensurate with the $4k for a 9.6 shown on GPA from seven months ago), and the $2500 paid publicly for the raw F copy more than one year ago. (thumbs u

-J.

This 'reported' sale is pure BS.

I simply don't believe it, nor does GPA recognize it.

Most comic book sales are private, and not reported on GPA. And no one cares what you believe. (thumbs u

-J.

This post is... amazing!

Everyone, you quite possibly just witnessed the pinnacle of human comedy. You may not appreciate it without the context of the long build-up, but my mind is blown!

This artificial rarity created with variants boggles my mind.

Newsstand and 35 cent 'variants' boggle my mind.

Jerome

Paying silly money for 9.8 modern slabs like the Saga 1 in your sig line boggle my mind.

"What I collect rules, what you collect drools."

I'm not at all of this mindset, though I do acknowledge these variant markets tend to have so many competing variables that determine how hot or cold they get. They are followed and collected by a very narrow niche, that itself is divided-up on one side by those who want to buy them for nothing and sell them for the world, and on the other, the buyers paying those otherwordly prices. It tends to skew the dynamics so much, that these drastic price resets on highest or best grade specimen is relative, but there's a lot more underreported activity in these markets, and the only incidents that get eyes and coverage tend to be the wins. If it was consistently as lucrative, there would be no way some of the big dealers wouldn't want a piece of the action, and yet the best indicator of what I'm describing above is they don't walk, but run from this kind of stuff. 2c

This 'reported' sale is pure BS.

I simply don't believe it, nor does GPA recognize it.

Most comic book sales are private, and not reported on GPA. And no one cares what you believe. (thumbs u

-J.

This post is... amazing!

Everyone, you quite possibly just witnessed the pinnacle of human comedy. You may not appreciate it without the context of the long build-up, but my mind is blown!

Irony! Thy name is Jaydog!