• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modern ASM #667 variant sells for $9K

429 posts in this topic

:roflmao: Even though nothing they have ever said or predicted about the book has ever been correct (or perhaps because of that), the level of angst this one book causes a small but loud clique of people on these boards will never cease to amuse and amaze me (even if three of them are all actually one person). lol

-J.

Ok, c'mon now... common sense needs to prevail.

If this person paid $9,000 USD for a modern comic book and

he/she has the money to waste then good on them.

$9,000 is a large sum of cash to many people and there are

infinitely better things that $9,000 can be used for.

This person is at the end of the line for passing the hot potato.

If he/she did it for investment purposes. It is one of the worst decisions

they could have made.

Has nothing to do with "hot potato". The few copies there are of this book very rarely change hands and are resting firmly in PC's for the most part. This was the first 9.8 to hit the open market in nearly four years. Hence the feeding frenzy.

-J.

Jaydogrules is the supreme champion of "If it's not public, it didn't happen" and "If it's not recorded (in the right place), it doesn't exist."

Hi RMA. :hi:

This is supposed to be a quote from me?

That's funny because I have literally never said this or anything remotely like this.

-J.

I wish I could find that Sandman #8 Editorial Thread where you (basically) refused to acknowledge the existence of any copy that wasn't on the census. :baiting:;)

You were nice to me today, you can have a nice thing back :)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8040467#Post8040467

Jaydogrules is the supreme champion of "If it's not public, it didn't happen" and "If it's not recorded (in the right place), it doesn't exist."

Hi RMA. :hi:

This is supposed to be a quote from me?

That's funny because I have literally never said this or anything remotely like this.

-J.

I wish I could find that Sandman #8 Editorial Thread where you (basically) refused to acknowledge the existence of any copy that wasn't on the census. :baiting:;)

You were nice to me today, you can have a nice thing back :)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8040467#Post8040467

Already posted.

I wish he would come back and post. :(

He can't or he won't?

He won't as he's on his final strike. One more and he's been told he would be banned

So he banned himself before the actual ban?

Or is he waiting until the strike meter resets?

I would imagine just being carefully after the ban on Valiant boards years ago.

I was told that both this sale, and the one where the book was acquired, both started on eBay then were completed privately.

:eyeroll: Tell that to the boardie who was ready to pay $8500 for it and got publicly pissed off when the seller ended up going with the higher $9k offer without any notice to him.

-J.

And the seller backed out of a deal in progress..

Tread carefully

:roflmao: Even though nothing they have ever said or predicted about the book has ever been correct (or perhaps because of that), the level of angst this one book causes a small but loud clique of people on these boards will never cease to amuse and amaze me (even if three of them are all actually one person). lol

-J.

they could have made.

Has nothing to do with "hot potato". The few copies there are of this book very rarely change hands and are resting firmly in PC's for the most part. This was the first 9.8 to hit the open market in nearly four years. Hence the feeding frenzy.

-J.

You keep saying it's the first 9.8 to hit the open market in nearly four years, but the same book sold only months ago :shrug:

-J.

they could have made.

-J.

You keep saying it's the first 9.8 to hit the open market in nearly four years, but the same book sold only months ago :shrug:

Exactly. (thumbs u

-J.

This 'reported' sale is pure BS.

I simply don't believe it, nor does GPA recognize it.

Yeah, That's what sucks about private sales. GPA doesn't record it.

I think GPA is a good starting point but it is not a complete data set. It misses many eBay sales, nor does it get several auction sites results. I subscribe most of the time but IMO it isn't even close to getting an accurate picture of sales overall. I track the books I'm interested with ebay, CC, CL, P, and HA myself. It is where I start for a quick look, especially if it is something that is out of my wheelhouse of knowledge.

I wish he would come back and post. :(

He can't or he won't?

He won't as he's on his final strike. One more and he's been told he would be banned

So he banned himself before the actual ban?

Or is he waiting until the strike meter resets?

I would imagine just being carefully after the ban on Valiant boards years ago.

Did he blame that one on mod corruption as well?

This 'reported' sale is pure BS.

I simply don't believe it, nor does GPA recognize it.

Yeah, That's what sucks about private sales. GPA doesn't record it.

I think GPA is a good starting point but it is not a complete data set. It misses many eBay sales, nor does it get several auction sites results. I subscribe most of the time but IMO it isn't even close to getting an accurate picture of sales overall. I track the books I'm interested with ebay, CC, CL, P, and HA myself. It is where I start for a quick look, especially if it is something that is out of my wheelhouse of knowledge.

I've been using GPA for years - I'm fairly certain they don't "miss many eBay sales" (seeing that they grab their eBay data directly from the eBay API).

Of the other sites you mention, isn't clink the only one they don't get sales data from?

-J.

I believe Jay is saying that the first sale was a private sale which was not open to the public, while the second sale was indeed a public sale in the open market. hm

To Jay, this is an indication of a strong demand for this so-called "rare" book since it can command these high prices in both private and public market sales. (shrug)

3 or 4 guys fighting over a copy of a book that 99% of collectors either can't afford or don't want, doesn't make a book hot. Throw 10 copies of this book on eBay for $5000 each and you'd be lucky to sell more than 2.

Who said it was "hot"?

In the near future there will not be be enough copies that come to the market for it to be considered "hot/cold".

-J.

I believe Jay is saying that the first sale was a private sale which was not open to the public, while the second sale was indeed a public sale in the open market. hm

To Jay, this is an indication of a strong demand for this so-called "rare" book since it can command these high prices in both private and public market sales. (shrug)

I was told, by Jay, the first sale started on eBay as well, then was removed and sold privately.

Exactly the same as the second sale.