• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

Metropolis has the books in their possession or has sent them on to CGC.

7 hours ago, PUNYHUMAN said:

You got that right. Maybe 10 million or more . (shrug)

I'm thinking BILLIONS!

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:
8 hours ago, PUNYHUMAN said:

You got that right. Maybe 10 million or more . (shrug)

I'm thinking BILLIONS!

Richard;

I believe it would have been BILLIONS, except that it looks like his Church copy of Wonderworld 13 still can't beat your Allentown 9.6 copy.  So, I guess we back back into only the Millions for Jon's collection. 

Unless of course, you went and crack your Wonderworld 13 out of its tomb, which would then make Jon's copy the highest graded copy.  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

...except that it looks like his Church copy of Wonderworld 13 still can't beat your Allentown 9.6 copy. 

Wonderworld 13 is such a great book (Joe Simon signed cover); the Larson is the 9.2 on the census, fyi.

3 hours ago, sacentaur said:
4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

...except that it looks like his Church copy of Wonderworld 13 still can't beat your Allentown 9.6 copy. 

Wonderworld 13 is such a great book (Joe Simon signed cover); the Larson is the 9.2 on the census, fyi.

So, I assume the Church copy must then be the 9.4 that is showing up in the CGC Census Population Report.  hm

I still remember standing at Harley's booth trying to decide between the Allentown copies of Wonderworld 13 and 14.  Looking back at it now, it's quite obvious that I made a mistake by just taking the WW 13 when I should have taken both of them.   doh!

BTW:  I assume you must still have all those nice Larson copies of the early Mystery Men and Wonderworld books.  :cloud9:

On 3/4/2017 at 8:48 AM, tth2 said:
On 3/3/2017 at 11:27 PM, detective35 said:

BTW:  I can't even imagine what a Fantastic #3 will sell for.  I can tell you this, no matter what, Fishler will win this book!

I thought that one of Jon`s criticisms of Heritage was that employees could bid on their auctions.  Wouldn`t allowing the owner of the auction site to bid on his books be hypocritical of Jon?

I don't believe under New York law, you can bid in an auction if you work for (or, in this case, are the owner of) the auction house.  

21 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

The label on Tec 27 also reads like more than "slight A-1", given color touch, spine split sealed, cover cleaned, etc., but as noted, the market will determine value. If I had the moolah, I'd certainly go after it!

As for restoration vs. conservation, it does seem like splitting hairs. Whatever it's called, the process clearly isn't adding dollar value these days, as lou_fine points out, but in many instances it is adding physical longevity (another form of value) to the books, which many (all?) of us might agree is extremely valuable -- as Punyhuman says, having a book with slight or moderate (or even extensive?) resto is better than a book falling to pieces, and helps preserve the book. Given the increasing scarcity and naturally crumbling condition of these venerated GA beauties, I would think that more consideration be given to the role, "value," and implementation of restoration techniques in the funny-book business... as it has for many centuries in the "fine art" world. (FYI: no conflict here: I buy both universal and restored books, and I have no clue how to restore a book!!)

If the book was a clean blue label it would bring a record price..I would say at least one mil......look for a 25% discount on the CGC APPROVED RESTORATION....this really should be a purple label book...and you are a SUCKER if you look at the label because we are hair splitting and pressing is just down the hall from us....CGC loses credibility when it does this..and it BLURRS the blue with purple...one solution, like the other guy does...ONE COLOR LABEL .....and like it or not that is what is really happening here over time.....a big blue sucker book...for somebody that does not understand , does not read the fine print, or is stupid enough to believe a color label with his own eyes.

let me be clear about this, if collectors are going to pay X's of guide or GPA or whatever for a blue label book, then get value not semantics......unrestored should mean just that....

Edited by Mmehdy

12 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't believe under New York law, you can bid in an auction if you work for (or, in this case, are the owner of) the auction house.  

I  can tell you this Steve would not be buying this book for resale, this is his favourite comic book.  

He has multiple copies of this,  and I remember back in the early 90s when he bought a nice copy from me, he was overjoyed!

For someone to say that as a collector he can't buy his favourite comic book is ridiculous.  

Yes, so big deal if he wants the book he could have anyone else bid on it for him. He would not be shill bidding the book up, so he  can make more money off it, he is buying it for his collection.

In my opinion he deserves to get it, it's been his favourite book for the last 30 years and now the most sought after copy will be coming up for auction, So I hope he gets it.

I would be happy if any other collector would get a book that they have been waiting to to acquire over a lifetime!

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF

46 minutes ago, detective35 said:

In my opinion he deserves to get it, it's been his favourite book for the last 30 years and now the most sought after copy will be coming up for auction, So I hope he gets it.

I would be happy if any other collector would get a book that they have been waiting to to acquire over a lifetime!

Spoken like a true collector!  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, detective35 said:

Yes, so big deal if he wants the book he could have anyone else bid on it for him.

Although I'm not a criminal lawyer, my vague memories from Crim Law during law school a couple of decades ago indicates that this sounds like a text book example of conspiring to violate a law (to the extent there really is a NY law prohibiting employees (and presumably owners) of auction houses from bidding on items offered by the auction house--I have not bothered to independently verify this).

I have no  Idea if Steve will try and get this book or not, I was just speculating seeing that is his favourite book.

i'm sure that Steve will abide by auction house law, let it ride out and see what it goes for.  In Years to come he could always try to acquire it on a trade, Who knows!

i do  know that this is his favourite book!

I've spent 30 years in the hobby enjoying seeing people trying to acquire the  books that they really want, and I've never wished any other collector Ill will.

I know that Jon's collection is going to do very well at auction, and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

46 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Although I'm not a criminal lawyer, my vague memories from Crim Law during law school a couple of decades ago indicates that this sounds like a text book example of conspiring to violate a law (to the extent there really is a NY law prohibiting employees (and presumably owners) of auction houses from bidding on items offered by the auction house--I have not bothered to independently verify this).

I'm sure that Fishler will get that book by hook or by crook. After years of hoarding that issue he is not going to let the white whale slip by. But he will at least be paying what the marketplace dictates in a true auction format. Anyone can jump in and give him a run for his money

3 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Metro has won CC books in the past. That's why they are 2 separate companies.

Would a classic example of this be the case of the Atlantic City copies of Action 10 and Action 13 which were auctioned off by CC at over $250K and almost $200K respectively?  :gossip:

Would Metro have purchased both of these books on behalf of Ayman Hariri, since Steve and Vincent of Metropolis were identified as the men behind the compiling of the Impossible Collection?  hm

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Would a classic example of this be the case of the Atlantic City copies of Action 10 and Action 13 which were auctioned off by CC at over $250K and almost $200K respectively?  :gossip:

Would Metro have purchased both of these books on behalf of Ayman Hariri, since Steve and Vincent of Metropolis were identified as the men behind the compiling of the Impossible Collection?  hm

Can't say. I know I have lost CC auctions and found the items in the Metro store the next day.