• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Certainly not as high profile as the Action 1 or the Fantastic 3, but this looks to be a killer copy of what is now recognized as the classic cover in the entire Wonderworld run.  Unfortunately, I was never able to find a nice enough copy at a reasonable price to put a copy in my personal collection.  :cry:

My bet is that somebody is going to have to dig mighty deep into their pockets to acquire this book here.  :blush:

OW/W pages. I am going to hold out for a better copy. 

44 minutes ago, jgallo said:

Where is the detective 27 any idea on the grade details.????

James G

I already posted it but here it is again 

IMG_4440.PNG

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Ok, I don't know him, so I'll take your word that he has no mixed emotions about selling off his collection. (thumbsu

From what I know of Jon, having met him back in 2000 at ComicCon and then, realizing we lived a town part, having been to his house twice to look through his stash of books (with a regular invitation to return anytime), he has an amazing collection.  Deep runs of very many titles - popular and off-beat - and multiple copies of some books, including some keys and otherwise significant books.  In terms of mixed feelings, this was a monumental decision, given the 45 year journey.  But Jon strikes me as someone who looks forward (onward and upward).

1 hour ago, october said:

OW/W pages. I am going to hold out for a better copy. 

Don't forget that annoying distributor mark.

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Certainly not as high profile as the Action 1 or the Fantastic 3, but this looks to be a killer copy of what is now recognized as the classic cover in the entire Wonderworld run.  Unfortunately, I was never able to find a nice enough copy at a reasonable price to put a copy in my personal collection.  :cry:

My bet is that somebody is going to have to dig mighty deep into their pockets to acquire this book here.  :blush:

I agree :cry:

1 hour ago, LearnedHand said:

From what I know of Jon, having met him back in 2000 at ComicCon and then, realizing we lived a town part, having been to his house twice to look through his stash of books (with a regular invitation to return anytime), he has an amazing collection.  Deep runs of very many titles - popular and off-beat - and multiple copies of some books, including some keys and otherwise significant books.  In terms of mixed feelings, this was a monumental decision, given the 45 year journey.  But Jon strikes me as someone who looks forward (onward and upward).

Well said (thumbsu

9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Ok, I don't know him, so I'll take your word that he has no mixed emotions about selling off his collection. (thumbsu

I talked with Jon on the phone for about 40 minutes today and he is completely at peace with selling his collection.

He just said he feels it's the right time.  As Alan said, John is not coming on the boards right now because he's busy, and he just needs a little time to process everything as he's been so busy!

BTW:  I can't even imagine what a Fantastic #3 will sell for.  I can tell you this, no matter what, Fishler will win this book!

Edited by detective35DF

A week now since the announcement and I'm still awe-stricken. It's like you know for sure that Atlantis will emerge in two months. IMHO it's not possible for such a collection to be appreciated in a museum as much as in the hands of a thousand or so individual collectors around the world. The spirit of this collection is going to spread bit by bit and by that - hopefully - will be thriving.

11 hours ago, woowoo said:

He's selling over 18,000 books in one auction? Seems like this collection will take a year or two to sell! Anyone know when a complete list of books will be available?

9 hours ago, detective35 said:

BTW:  I can't even imagine what a Fantastic #3 will sell for.  I can tell you this, no matter what, Fishler will win this book!

I thought that one of Jon`s criticisms of Heritage was that employees could bid on their auctions.  Wouldn`t allowing the owner of the auction site to bid on his books be hypocritical of Jon?

2 hours ago, drbanner said:

He's selling over 18,000 books in one auction? Seems like this collection will take a year or two to sell! Anyone know when a complete list of books will be available?

this should be done over a one year period is my guess, but I think the very high profile stuff is going to go first in the upcoming auctions

Edited by Mmehdy

6 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

this should be done over a one year period is my guess, but I think the very high profile stuff is going to go first in the upcoming auctions

I believe the bulk will be sold via lots/bulk. The best books will likely fill a nice auction.