• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I'm almost 100% sure that Ayman is aware of the Berk CC auction in a few months.  Who knows how many calls and reminders Metro will do to remind him of the auction as it approaches.  I can see him winning some if not all of the higher graded rare books (pedigrees) that would fit his Impossible Collection and key books.

I doubt he's interested in much of the offbeat material in Jon Berk's collection. He seems far more interested in mainstream books. Now, if the Dentist's books are auctioned off, then I think he'll be a player, assuming he's still in the hobby at that time.

3 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I doubt he's interested in much of the offbeat material in Jon Berk's collection. He seems far more interested in mainstream books. Now, if the Dentist's books are auctioned off, then I think he'll be a player, assuming he's still in the hobby at that time.

+1 on this

On 3/6/2017 at 7:38 PM, batman_fan said:

I don't understand why people want more than one copy either.  Can some please explain it to me?  :whistle:

batman25home.jpg

On 3/6/2017 at 8:02 PM, Hudson said:

I have no idea.

Jo Jo 25 group of 10 (3).jpg

My humble question about hoarding multiple copies of a comic book... ... only now I realize I'm guilty of the same hoarding tendency!! Here is my Mr. Potato Head "in box" collection, all 30 of them. As you can see, most of them are graded, with highest-graded 9.8 in the center (only copy at 9.8 in the census), plus a few restored, and one NG which I'm hoping to upgrade soon! ;)(:

mr_potato_head_many2_150_5q_zpsk7u3snaf.

22 hours ago, Dark Knight said:
23 hours ago, lou_fine said:

If Ayman Hariri truly wanted to have an Impossible Collection that lived up to its name, then he should really consider picking up some of these rare and HTF runs, especially in terms of the pedigree runs.  (thumbsu

After all, most DC and Timely books, even in high grade are really not that Impossible to find.  hm

I'm almost 100% sure that Ayman is aware of the Berk CC auction in a few months.  Who knows how many calls and reminders Metro will do to remind him of the auction as it approaches.  I can see him winning some if not all of the higher graded rare books (pedigrees) that would fit his Impossible Collection and key books.

10 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
13 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

+1 on this

+2

Like most other high profile big money collectors coming into this marketplace, their interest is generally limited to only the mainstream superhero books from DC and Marvel only.  Take a look at Danny Kramer, Jay Parinno, and all of the other so-called money players who came into this comic book marketplace.  One thing they all had in common is that their purchasing was generally limited to only the Big 2 and really nothing after that.

Now, with Ayman it's quite possible that he might be different since it states that he has been doing this for 16+ years.  All evidence though indicates that his collecting sights has also not wandered beyond the Big 2 so far.  This is the easiest part of the marketplace to understand and also the easiest part of the marketplace by far from which to buy.  To go beyond the DC's and the Marvel's and into books like the early Fox and Centaurs requires a more sophisticated collector who has a much deeper appreciation for the comic book hobby itself. 

Not sure where Ayman Hariri would fall on this scale in terms of being a comic book collector.  Of course, there's an outside chance he might go after some of these early Fox books since they are still superhero books after all, of pedigree status in the Church copies, and also probably be subject to a crash course on the importance and rarity of these books (except for Fantastic 3 of course  lol) , courtesy of Fishler himself.  I guess we'll just have to wait to find out.  :taptaptap:  (shrug)

Parino bought much outside of the Big 2.

Based on what I have observed in the past, I'm sure that Metropolis will be promoting this collection among their client base and that people who might not have otherwise been focused on some of these books will be involved in the bidding.

Edited by adamstrange

23 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Based on what I have observed in the past, I'm sure that Metropolis will be promoting this collection among their client base and that people who might not have otherwise been focused on some of these books will be involved in the bidding.

This.

On 2017-02-25 at 1:03 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Schmell fetched what, 5-6 Mil with his collection. Will we see more, less ?

Schmell fetched $4MIL

He did have an X-men #1 9.8 go for $492K so that was a big chunk.

Still too hard to tell how big Berk's collection is.

10 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:03 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Schmell fetched what, 5-6 Mil with his collection. Will we see more, less ?

Schmell fetched $4MIL

He did have an X-men #1 9.8 go for $492K so that was a big chunk.

Still too hard to tell how big Berk's collection is.

I believe when you add in the OA, this collection will easily surpass 4mil

2 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Correct. At one of the early Greg Manning auctions (if not the first), Jay practically bought every high grade pre-code horror Bethlehem book in the auction (there were a ton of these in the auction. Early CGC days when they were up in Parsippany, NJ and Manning was doing comic auctions).

Almost every classic pre-code horror cover from all companies was represented in the auction.

On 2017-02-25 at 7:10 PM, lou_fine said:

Any idea if he also has the Church Wonderworld's or is that run sort of scattered between various collectors? 

Has this been answered? I heard that these were destroying when the World Trade Towers went down 9/11

33 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Has this been answered? I heard that these were destroying when the World Trade Towers went down 9/11

He has most of the run of Wonderworlds.  They've already shared scans of the 3 and 7.

41 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I believe when you add in the OA, this collection will easily surpass 4mil

+1

45 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Please share the back story on this part

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:10 PM, lou_fine said:

Any idea if he also has the Church Wonderworld's or is that run sort of scattered between various collectors? 

nope

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

And with this post, this thread has officially jumped the shark. :ohnoez:

3 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

And with this post, this thread has officially jumped the shark. :ohnoez:

@G.A.tor

@adamstrange I had heard that a significant collection was lost completely during 9/11 but was never able to substantiate. I also can't really say who told me except that they were involved in the hobby back in the 80's and 90's.

Apologies if it was incorrect.

I'm also still getting caught up on this thread. I've been on the road quite a bit and haven't been in the GA forum since the new Forum was started.

On 2017-02-25 at 7:36 PM, adamstrange said:

He has all/nearly all of the Church Wonderworlds though "settled" for the Allentown Wonder 2.  (Note:  It's gorgeous.)

I stand corrected by the space man. :baiting:

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

He has most of the run of Wonderworlds.  They've already shared scans of the 3 and 7.

Don't see any scans for the Church Wonderworld 3, although I do see the ones for the Church copies of Wonderworld 7 and the Mystery Men 1 which you may have actually been thinking about.  :cloud9:

Would I be correct in assuming that the Church WW 3 must be the second CGC 9.4 that is showing up in their census population report?  The Heritage archives indicate that the first 9.4 graded copy of WW 3 was sold at auction for just over $25K back in 2002.  Looks like this copy was then regraded with a new serial number a month later at the same CGC 9.4 grade and then subsequently resold at Heritage for $15.5K in 2005. 

Interesting to note that for both Heritage sales, the book was not described as a pedigree copy, yet the CGC census population report now identifies this book as being the Allentown copy.  I guess they must have dug up some documentation or traced the lineage of the book to authenticate the pedigree in the interim.  hm

Is it true that the Church Planet run was destroyed in the Challenger disaster, or were they on the Malaysian Airline flight that disappeared over the Indian Ocean?