• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:12 PM, adamstrange said:

Ranked #3 is a recent poll of top Golden Age comic book covers

Drawn by Lou Fine, considered one of the finest comic book artists ever

Giant red killer robots

Best condition copy from the greatest Golden Age pedigree collection

yeah, but why else?

On 2/28/2017 at 10:49 PM, tth2 said:
On 2/27/2017 at 8:14 PM, lou_fine said:

Still not good timing from my point of view.  doh!

Being the nice guy that I am, I probably would have made the announcement 2 or 3 weeks earlier then.  If I was going to end up "messing up" my own auction that is just about to open, then I may as well "mess up" the competitor's auction as well, instead of waiting until their auction is closing and all of the bids are pretty well already in.  :devil:

Appears to be a "worst of both worlds" scenario from a timing point of view.  hm

I wish the announcement had been made before the Heritage auction.  I spent money in that auction that I would now prefer to have not spent to save up for the Berk auction.

I guess it's quite possible that potential bidders might just hold back on some of their bids, especially for books that should be coming up for auction from Jon's collection here.  (shrug)

For example, I noticed that the Wonderworld 11 in the CL auction is just sitting at only $700 while the CGC 7.0 copy of Wonderworld 12 is sitting at only $1,900.  Wonder if both of these graded books will go past the almost $3K figure that they were able to hit for raw VG copies on eBay last summer.  Also interesting to note that the the second highest graded copy of Fantastic Comics #2 is still sitting at only $215 in the CC auction, albeit still tons of time left to bid.  

Any bets that these types of books would most likely have ended up selling for more money than what they will be getting here if the Berk Collection was not on the horizon.  hm

On 2/28/2017 at 0:21 PM, Scrooge said:

If you want to see the grades Chuck listed the Mystery Men at in his original list, look at Rob's data posted on GitHub -

https://github.com/roblarsen/Edgar-Church-Collection-Data/blob/master/src/M-O.csv

They are uniformally in high grade except for # 11 (listed as FN). So, unless something happened, they should all grade high.

Looks like you've been doing a bit of sleuthing here.  (thumbsu

Yes, looks like Chuck had it not guide graded at the lowest out of all of the books in the Mystery Men run, but also priced by far the lowest at almost half of the next lowest price books in the run.  This would also line up with Geppi and Overstreet's assessment as they also had the Mystery Men 11 priced at by far the lowest out of all of the Church copies sold from this run. 

Based upon the CGC Census Report, it looks like the highest graded copy for Mystery Men 11 is probably going to be the 2 CGC 9.0 graded copies that's been sitting there for more than a decade.  One of these 9.0 copies is the Allentown copy which sold on Heritage way back in 2005 while the other 9.0 copy must be from even further back as it was showing up on CBG's Census Population report that they used to do when CGC first started up.  There might not be another higher graded copy out there since this issue is the only early Mystery Men book that is absent from the Larson list.  hm

There are two reasons that their price might be influenced by Berk's collection:  1) people will skip this auciton to see if they can't get Berk's copy and 2) they skip this auction thinking they will find something more desirable in Berk's auction.

For Wonderworld 11 and 12, Berk has the Church copies which are quite nice and will attract bidders who have little interest in the clink copies and will have a lot of money to spend.  For most bidders, I would not suggest skipping the clink auction for Reason #1.

Hammer prices in Clink's current appear to be unphazed by the announcement of Berks collection. Books selling for multiples of GPA are a testament to that. Or perhaps the word hasn't made it around the playground yet. In any event it would be nice to catch a preview of Berks lineup. 

Just now, Junkdrawer said:

Hammer prices in Clink's current appear to be unphazed by the announcement of Berks collection. Books selling for multiples of GPA are a testament to that. Or perhaps the word hasn't made it around the playground yet. In any event it would be nice to catch a preview of Berks lineup. 

I guess the OA will be on display at Metro next Saturday night.  Maybe they'll also show some of the books.  I assume they will have at least some of them in house.  

16 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I guess the OA will be on display at Metro next Saturday night.  Maybe they'll also show some of the books.  I assume they will have at least some of them in house.  

I'm down for that. I even called metro to let them know I was dropping by after the Carb show, just to be sure I had access.

14 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I would assume if he has Planet 1 cover OA that there will be a strong complete run of Planet Comics in this collection. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I heard it's a bound edition

Just now, Junkdrawer said:
18 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm down for that. I even called metro to let them know I was dropping by after the Carb show, just to be sure I had access.

Apparently anybody who wants to can come by.  It's not a very big space so it may get pretty crowded in there. 

36 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

I heard it's a bound edition

Correct.  A set of bound volumes.

9 hours ago, adamstrange said:

For Wonderworld 11 and 12, Berk has the Church copies which are quite nice and will attract bidders who have little interest in the clink copies and will have a lot of money to spend. 

Seeing as how the Church Wonderworld 11 and 12 are graded as 9.6 and 9.4 copies respectively, I would have to say that "quite nice" is most likely an understatement when talking about these 2 books.  :cloud9:

The only copies that could possibly have a chance at even being in the same ballpark might be the Allentown and Larson copies.  Okay, probably not so much for issue #11 as the Allentown copy apparently has a rip at the top and the Larson copy apparently has a water stain on the back cover at the spine.  hm

On 3/1/2017 at 8:31 AM, ciorac said:

I can remember standing next to Bob Overstreet when the "vault" was opened at the Gallery and he said to me "A 30 year collection, down the drain". 

It was a very weird (and sad) scene - grown men diving into Bob's books like crazed madmen.  Thankfully I had drunk enough that I was simply bemused by the whole thing instead of participating!

22 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The only copies that could possibly have a chance at even being in the same ballpark might be the Allentown and Larson copies.

Wonderworld11.jpg

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The only copies that could possibly have a chance at even being in the same ballpark might be the Allentown and Larson copies.

Wonderworld11.jpg

Is that your own personal high grade copy of WW 11 from your personal collection?  hm  :cloud9:  :takeit:

It's mine.  If I post someone's else book I always note it as such.