• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Not to quibble but that Action 1 being called "conserved" with a "cleaned cover" is no bueno.

-J.

Conservation Repairs

Conservation repairs are performed with the intent of preserving the structural or chemical integrity of a comic book using professional techniques and materials. It excludes aesthetic repairs such as color touch and piece fill. All conserved grades must satisfy the CGC quality scale of "A" and quantity scale of "1".

• Tear seals
  • Spine split seals
  • Reinforcement
  • Piece reattachment
  • Some cover or interior cleaning (water or solvent)
  • Staples cleaned or replaced
  • Some leaf casting
  • De-acidification

Articles List

33 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Conservation Repairs

Conservation repairs are performed with the intent of preserving the structural or chemical integrity of a comic book using professional techniques and materials. It excludes aesthetic repairs such as color touch and piece fill. All conserved grades must satisfy the CGC quality scale of "A" and quantity scale of "1".

• Tear seals
  • Spine split seals
  • Reinforcement
  • Piece reattachment
  • Some cover or interior cleaning (water or solvent)
  • Staples cleaned or replaced
  • Some leaf casting
  • De-acidification

Articles List

All of the above really is just a "kind" of restoration.

Particularly "cleaning" a cover, which is the epitome of a purely aesthetic improvement, no matter how much CGC strains to thread the needle to make it appear as otherwise. 2c

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

21 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Jon has been an active contributor to the boards for a long time. Wonder why he hasn't chimed in hm

Perhaps because Berk  cashing out is a Royal knee in the nuts to the other "Big"  collections (verzyl Anderson etc) ?

39 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Perhaps because Berk  cashing out is a Royal knee in the nuts to the other "Big"  collections (verzyl Anderson etc) ?

I wouldn't think that is it at all

49 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Particularly "cleaning" a cover, which is the epitome of a purely aesthetic improvement, no matter how much CGC strains to thread the needle to make it appear as otherwise. 2c

-J.

Good news is the market will determine value regardless, so kind of just splitting hairs in a label 

“Whether you are a collector, investor or just a fan, I invite you all to enjoy my collection at this amazing auction preview. I built this collection to honor the legends behind and on the pages. Now it is time for me to share the collection with the next generation. I hope you will appreciate and safeguard it as much as I have” shares owner, Jon Berk.

Well, I for one would <3<3<3<3 to "safeguard" that Action 1.

The problem is that if I spent the kind of $$$$ that would require, someone would have to "safeguard" me from a wife who might do me serious harm.  :roflmao:

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:
1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Good news is the market will determine value regardless, so kind of just splitting hairs in a label 

I still remember the good old days or were they the bad old days now when restoration was viewed in the marketplace as something that added value to a book.  hm

Definitely not the case anymore of course, or is it  actually even much more prevalent today and simply hidden under a different name and viewed in today's marketplace as maximization of potential.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

17 hours ago, woowoo said:

Interesting to note that many of the media articles seemingly quotes Jon as expecting the collection to sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more.  :whatev:

I think we all know better than that, as a few of the items by themselves alone could possibly go for hundreds of thousands of dollars.   hm

1 hour ago, Hudson said:

“Whether you are a collector, investor or just a fan, I invite you all to enjoy my collection at this amazing auction preview. I built this collection to honor the legends behind and on the pages. Now it is time for me to share the collection with the next generation. I hope you will appreciate and safeguard it as much as I have” shares owner, Jon Berk.

Well, I for one would <3<3<3<3 to "safeguard" that Action 1.

The problem is that if I spent the kind of $$$$ that would require, someone would have to "safeguard" me from a wife who might do me serious harm.  :roflmao:

Wow your sig line is huge now love it.

3 hours ago, Mmehdy said:
6 hours ago, drbanner said:

He's selling over 18,000 books in one auction? Seems like this collection will take a year or two to sell! Anyone know when a complete list of books will be available?

this should be done over a one year period is my guess, but I think the very high profile stuff is going to go first in the upcoming auctions

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I believe the bulk will be sold via lots/bulk. The best books will likely fill a nice auction. 

+1

Since the article clearly states that he was collecting Spidey right up to the current issue, I doubt that any of this MA drek is going to get anywhere close to CGC for slabbing and individual auction.

It would certainly be nice, but clearly it would appear that we are not talking about all 18,000 books being of GA and SA vintage collectible quality here. 

6 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I still remember the good old days or were they the bad old days now when restoration was viewed in the marketplace as something that added value to a book.  hm

Definitely not the case anymore of course, or is it  actually even much more prevalent today and simply hidden under a different name and viewed in today's marketplace as maximization of potential.  :devil:

4 hours ago, PUNYHUMAN said:

Well I for one would rather have a book with Sleight or Moderate Resto then falling apart . But that's me. And as Rick says the market will determine value regardless.

The label on Tec 27 also reads like more than "slight A-1", given color touch, spine split sealed, cover cleaned, etc., but as noted, the market will determine value. If I had the moolah, I'd certainly go after it!

As for restoration vs. conservation, it does seem like splitting hairs. Whatever it's called, the process clearly isn't adding dollar value these days, as lou_fine points out, but in many instances it is adding physical longevity (another form of value) to the books, which many (all?) of us might agree is extremely valuable -- as Punyhuman says, having a book with slight or moderate (or even extensive?) resto is better than a book falling to pieces, and helps preserve the book. Given the increasing scarcity and naturally crumbling condition of these venerated GA beauties, I would think that more consideration be given to the role, "value," and implementation of restoration techniques in the funny-book business... as it has for many centuries in the "fine art" world. (FYI: no conflict here: I buy both universal and restored books, and I have no clue how to restore a book!!)

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Interesting to note that many of the media articles seemingly quotes Jon as expecting the collection to sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more.  :whatev:

I think we all know better than that, as a few of the items by themselves alone could possibly go for hundreds of thousands of dollars.   hm

5 hours ago, PUNYHUMAN said:

You got that right. Maybe 10 million or more . (shrug)

At the same time, maybe not quite that much as it's quite evident that many of the DC and Timely keys have varying degrees of restoration work done on the books.  In addition, it would also appear that some of the runs would be in the form of bound volumes.  hm

So, my guess is more than hundreds of thousands of dollars, but most likely also less than $10M dollars.  But then, who really knows at this point in time.   (shrug)

19 hours ago, detective35 said:

He just said he feels it's the right time.  As Alan said, John is not coming on the boards right now because he's busy, and he just needs a little time to process everything as he's been so busy!

Is he still busy packing up some of his book and sending them to CGC for grading as it sounds like he has a ton of books to go though?  Especially since the Census Population Report is still not showing high grade copies for quite a few of the Mystery Men and Wonderworld books.  Or is CGC also behind in terms of grading this collection?  If either of these is the case, I imagine it's going to be hard to get all of the books done up and catlogued in time for the May auction.

19 hours ago, detective35 said:

I can't even imagine what a Fantastic #3 will sell for.  I can tell you this, no matter what, Fishler will win this book!

It's been stated that in the state of New York, you cannot bid in your own auctions.  So, I don't see how Fishler will be winning this book, although I am quite sure there are simple legal loopholes to get around this.  For example, book auctioned off by CC, book won by Fishler.........two completely different legal entities.  :idea:

BTW:  Dwight, if this is you, why don't you merge your old and new board account names?  :gossip: