• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

On 3/8/2017 at 2:02 PM, MrBedrock said:

Is it true that the Church Planet run was destroyed in the Challenger disaster, or were they on the Malaysian Airline flight that disappeared over the Indian Ocean?

lol

On 2017-03-06 at 3:02 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm clearly missing something: why would anyone want to hoard dozens of the same book?

For the same reason that one drink, one donut or one hit of your favorite drug is never enough.

On 2017-03-08 at 0:23 PM, adamstrange said:
On 2017-03-08 at 11:41 AM, G.A.tor said:

I believe when you add in the OA, this collection will easily surpass 4mil

+1

As do I. When I spoke to Harley (when we first found out about the collection I was on the road) I immediately said it will probably be the biggest collection to date.

On 2017-03-08 at 2:31 PM, lou_fine said:

The Heritage archives indicate that the first 9.4 graded copy of WW 3 was sold at auction for just over $25K back in 2002.  Looks like this copy was then regraded with a new serial number a month later at the same CGC 9.4 grade and then subsequently resold at Heritage for $15.5K in 2005. 

A perfect example of how not everything can go up, up, up. Even the best of the best needs a break once in a while. GA was in a bit of a slump for a while there.

On 2017-03-08 at 7:57 PM, lou_fine said:

Speaking from a competition point of view, I guess the CGC Mods must be really happy that Jon decided to go with their company for having his collection graded.  :whee:

Otherwise, they would be busy here all day deleting threads and handing out strikes as boardies continue talking about this generational collection here.  (tsk)  lol

Metro does use the competition so it's definitely a conscious choice.

On 3/4/2017 at 0:32 PM, lou_fine said:

I still remember the good old days or were they the bad old days now when restoration was viewed in the marketplace as something that added value to a book.  hm

Definitely not the case anymore of course, or is it  actually even much more prevalent today and simply hidden under a different name and viewed in today's marketplace as maximization of potential.  :devil:

Uh-huh. Sing that song to masterchief and RedHook, they lost that battle eons ago, but still love to hum the tune. lol

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:41 AM, originalisbest said:

That's a lotta Jo-Jo's. Guess I'm lucky I managed to get my one copy!

Anyone going to the Auction preview? If anyone gets any pics of the artwork or books please post them(thumbsu

16 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

+1, would love to see pictures of all the various items coming up.

+ 2 / not to forget a picture of Jon Berk most hopefully while sketching the complete provenience of the Church Suspense #3 on a flip chart lol 

Wish I was there! :cry:

5 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Was the Wonder Comics 1, Whiz 1 and Detective 1 universal?

I think yes on the Wonder, no on the Whiz and Tec.

Shows how crappy my pictures are that it's hard to tell!

Edited by Sqeggs