• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

That was my guess as well.  A lot of mid-grade SA Marvels being offered.  I'd be surprised if they reach GPA.  Makes for an unusual group of comics to appear in the same auction.

.....probably the best time for more financially "challenged" collectors, like myself, is actually before these big mega auctions..... when folks are letting go of books they normally wouldn't... to stock the war chest. This also occurs right after the auction as well... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu 

7 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

.....probably the best time for more financially "challenged" collectors, like myself, is actually before these big mega auctions..... when folks are letting go of books they normally wouldn't... to stock the war chest. This also occurs right after the auction as well... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu 

For myself, I have learned the hard way to wait until after to sell. I have presold in the past only to lose out in the auction. Talk about a punch in the nuts. 

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

For myself, I have learned the hard way to wait until after to sell. I have presold in the past only to lose out in the auction. Talk about a punch in the nuts. 

happened to me on a Cap 3 that unfortunately i missed twice. Still think about that one but happily it has resided in good homes since then and a great boardie now owns it!! I sold a few books then lost the auction I wasn't sad as they were all SA keys which can easily be reacquired some of which have but it taught me a lesson for the future especially now collecting GA as they are not nearly as easy to locate. It also taught me to keep my mouth sealed a bit more about what i was chasing as I came on here asking too many questions not even realizing how gigantic some of the folks were that are on this site in the hobby. This is the first and only social media type site i had ever used and remains that way today. It was a very humbling and eye opening experience for me but i am glad it happened personally it only made me appreciate how many more geeks there were out there and that I was about to dive into a vast new world of comicdom i had never chartered before and i had so much more to learn 

Well, I learned something from looking at the Jon Berk collection on CConnect: I never realized that the first appearance of Andy Panda was in Crackajack Funnies! (I may be the only one who cares.)

The book that stood out to me the most (other than the Fantastic #3) was the Punch #12. I won't be a contender, but I'll be curious to see what it sells for. I think it's safe to say that it'll leave the guide price in the dust.

12 hours ago, Silver Surfer said:

There will be some as people will always refer to said books as from the Berk collection that was auctioned off by CC.

i interpreted the question to mean whether people would pay a premium for the books because they were owned by jon.  in my opinion, the answer is no.

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I can see your being disappointed if you sold a book that was important to you, or if you sold a book from a run because you were hoping to upgrade, but I've rarely felt bad about being outbid in an auction or about selling a book that wasn't a key part of my collection. I try to bid what I think a book is worth—maybe a little more—but if the only way to "win" a book is to overpay, I'm always happy to let someone else overpay. I'll wait until the next time it sells, or until another copy comes along, or until a different book that I like just as much comes along. (Sometimes a book will take off in value weeks or months later, and then I'll start to kick myself.)

Edited by jimbo_7071

It is my understanding there are 18,000 books but only 3,000 listed. Will the collection be spread out over several more auctions? I have noticed some key books missing in runs (like Startling 49). Are these books missing because he kept them or will some books from titles that are present in this auction be in the future auctions? If this was already addressed I apologize.

25 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

It is my understanding there are 18,000 books but only 3,000 listed. Will the collection be spread out over several more auctions? I have noticed some key books missing in runs (like Startling 49). Are these books missing because he kept them or will some books from titles that are present in this auction be in the future auctions? If this was already addressed I apologize.

I think ComicConnect has reserved the next 3 years (:insane:) going through those 15,000 remaining books (all unslabbed) and assigning grades to them. And then they will show up in subsequent auctions. But I think all (pretty much all?) of the A list material is in the June auction. That was my sense from what I heard on "Berk Night" at the CC headquarters, but I can't confirm this.

3 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

happened to me on a Cap 3 that unfortunately i missed twice. Still think about that one but happily it has resided in good homes since then and a great boardie now owns it!! I sold a few books then lost the auction I wasn't sad as they were all SA keys which can easily be reacquired some of which have but it taught me a lesson for the future especially now collecting GA as they are not nearly as easy to locate. It also taught me to keep my mouth sealed a bit more about what i was chasing as I came on here asking too many questions not even realizing how gigantic some of the folks were that are on this site in the hobby. This is the first and only social media type site i had ever used and remains that way today. It was a very humbling and eye opening experience for me but i am glad it happened personally it only made me appreciate how many more geeks there were out there and that I was about to dive into a vast new world of comicdom i had never chartered before and i had so much more to learn 

Nice confessional, Gino! At least you do have a Cap 3 in your sig line!! Same here, this has been the only social media site I've ever used, and am very pleased to be here (though my wife is not so pleased... a recurrent theme of mine I know O.o)

28 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

I think ComicConnect has reserved the next 3 years (:insane:) going through those 15,000 remaining books (all unslabbed) and assigning grades to them. And then they will show up in subsequent auctions. But I think all (pretty much all?) of the A list material is in the June auction. That was my sense from what I heard on "Berk Night" at the CC headquarters, but I can't confirm this.

Cool, very helpful to know.  Had been wondering why there were no Marvel Mysteries up !

28 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Cool, very helpful to know.  Had been wondering why there were no Marvel Mysteries up !

I think Jon had sold most of his timelys already

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

Just by looking at the lineup of books being offered this month, I'd say so as well.

31 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Saw a good number of Subbies, Torches, and the more minor titles  : )

Caps,mmc,USA , all select, all winners etc seem void of runs 

27 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Hope they're being saved up... gotta leave some of the good stuff for round 2 !

I don't believe he has any more of those than what's already posted in the auction ...my understanding is Jon sold most of this timely sometime ago

5 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I don't believe he has any more of those than what's already posted in the auction ...my understanding is Jon sold most of this timely sometime ago

But there should be plenty of Little Lulu's and ROM SpaceKnights to satisfy everyone in round 2!!  :D