• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

When will they list Jon's low grade run of later print Classics Illustrated and Classics Juniors? Probably worthy of their own catalog.

43 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

When will they list Jon's low grade run of later print Classics Illustrated and Classics Juniors? Probably worthy of their own catalog.

I thought those books were already listed on your site. hm

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I thought those books were already listed on your site. hm

Beauties...all of 'em!

Jon was kind enough to sell me some Canadian Whites back in the early part of this century, including the elusive Colossal Comics and a few others pictured below.

I guess if I am not successful winning any of the books in the upcoming Comicconnect auction, I can be appreciative of these books that I acquired from his collection. :cloud9:

Colossal Cover.jpg

Colossal BC.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 011.jpg

Picture 012.jpg

Picture 013.jpg

Picture 014.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

Joke7.jpg

TRIUMPH 25.jpg

Edited by eccomic

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I see some suspicious looking boardies lurking in that video.  Who in his right mind let them so close to that valuable art?! doh!

They let in a lot of riffraff that night! Those boardies (though quite handsome) should've shown better manners, swinging their backpacks around and all! :ohnoez::frustrated:

MORE IMPORTANTLY: there is a typo in the video at time 2:11. The footer text reads "John Berk" - should be "Jon Berk".

9 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
10 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I see some suspicious looking boardies lurking in that video.  Who in his right mind let them so close to that valuable art?! doh!

They let in a lot of riffraff that night! Those boardies (though quite handsome) should've shown better manners, swinging their backpacks around and all! :ohnoez::frustrated:

MORE IMPORTANTLY: there is a typo in the video at time 2:11. The footer text reads "John Berk" - should be "Jon Berk".

You can catch some glimpses of boardies chatting with Berk.  I overheard one conversation.  Berk was filling in tiny gaps in a boardie's knowledge of comic book history:  "No, no, no.  Superman wore the red and blue costume.  Batman's costume was black and gray."

The video was well-put together.  After hearing what Jon had to say, you can tell how passionate he was when he was putting his collection together and how much love he had for his books because he wanted to know EVERYTHING about it from the art work, to the artists, to the writers, etc.  Towards the end of the video in the last segment where Jon was talking, I sensed that it was difficult for him to let go of it all after all these years compiling it together, especially the Centaurs (20 years!).  I can feel how much he will miss his collection. 

10 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Towardss the end of the video in the last segment where Jon was talking, I sensed that it was difficult for him to let go of it all after all these years compiling it together, especially the Centaurs (20 years!).  I can feel how much he will miss his collection. 

He not only showed us his books (for many people, including me, via these boards), he now shows us how to part with a collection worthily and uprightly.

At the very end of the video he says that he would continue to have the passion for the subject. Rather not surprising, so I guess fandom will still hear from him in the future. At least, if he wishes so, he would easily be able to travel the world and to "visit" his former collectibles with their new owners ... and have a good time!!

Edited by Pickie
Grammar problems

On May 11, 2017 at 7:39 PM, eccomic said:

Jon was kind enough to sell me some Canadian Whites back in the early part of this century, including the elusive Colossal Comics and a few others pictured below.

I guess if I am not successful winning any of the books in the upcoming Comicconnect auction, I can be appreciative of these books that I acquired from his collection. :cloud9:

Colossal Cover.jpg

Colossal BC.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 011.jpg

Picture 012.jpg

Picture 013.jpg

Picture 014.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

Joke7.jpg

TRIUMPH 25.jpg

"Nelvana and the ether people" love it! That bound volume is slick!