• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, jsilverjanet said:

maybe the people who don't buy and sell on these boards should be the ones to mind their own business and let the buyers and sellers that do make sure that people follow the rules

(shrug)

Sellers and buyers or did you mean, sellers and flippers? 

On 9/1/2022 at 11:57 AM, jsilverjanet said:

how hard is it to show a picture of what you are sending people? do that and mystery is solved

I don't know why it's so difficult for you to stick to this rule

how many threads is this now that moderation deletes because you don't follow them

i did not delete your thread, moderation did. so obviously they agreed that you violated the rule.

I was selling nothing and had already filled the slots.  All this because you drew the short stick in a raffle that you knew was going to have winners and losers. 

On 9/1/2022 at 1:59 PM, CAHokie said:

You seem a little hot under the collar there about a guy giving away some free books. Sorry that it bothered you so much. Since you felt the need to use 3 question marks even though I can usually understand with the use of only one, I will answer.

I understand there is a huge difference between someone trying to make a quick buck on selling mystery boxes and someone doing something nice. Maybe you should get a hobby. I would suggest collecting comics but maybe that’s just to make a buck. (shrug)

you are the one that implied something beyond what it was, that does bother me a little. because you are are always saying indirect shots and never truly saying what you want

like what i bolded above - you don't know the first thing about me, yet you feel compelled to make take a shot at me or what you perceive to be a shot. what do you know about what i collect and what i sell. who are you to stand and make that judgement.

On 9/1/2022 at 2:01 PM, shadroch said:

I was selling nothing and had already filled the slots.  All this because you drew the short stick in a raffle that you knew was going to have winners and losers. 

take a picture and lets see what you are offering, why can't you do that?

On 8/28/2022 at 1:27 PM, thehumantorch said:

Absolutely.  And I understand that many other online sites operate differently but this site considers a :takeit:a commitment to buy and expects buyers to follow through.  Just as we consider that a commitment on the sellers part and expect him to ship the book.

I don’t know of any group that allows that.   If you claim an item you buy it or your name is passed around at the minimum or you are banned from the group.   I’m in at least fifteen dedicated buy sell trade groups on Facebook and whenever something like that happens the person is no longer in good standing. 

@mytastebud what you describe happened to me last summer in Facebook group.  The admins asked for screen shots of the PM where the buyer pulled this.  Upon reading the screen shots the buyer was banned from the group.  What a shame for him since the group has over 15,000 members and lot of traffic.  If you agree to buy something and claim it that means that prospective buyers that were interested in that item may buy it elsewhere thinking my item is no longer available.  Claiming an item and then essentially holding it hostage to use as leverage to negotiate another book will not be looked upon favorably in any circle other than your circle of one.

As a seller I would not tolerate this and would kick you to the curb then tell everyone I know what you did. You reneged on a deal because you couldn’t get the discount you wanted on a separate purchase. 

As a buyer I would never consider using this tactic. 

On 9/1/2022 at 1:48 PM, Buzzetta said:

I don’t know of any group that allows that.   If you claim an item you buy it or your name is passed around at the minimum or you are banned from the group.   I’m in at least fifteen dedicated buy sell trade groups on Facebook and whenever something like that happens the person is no longer in good standing. 

@mytastebud what you describe happened to me last summer in Facebook group.  The admins asked for screen shots of the PM where the buyer pulled this.  Upon reading the screen shots the buyer was banned from the group.  What a shame for him since the group has over 15,000 members and lot of traffic.  If you agree to buy something and claim it that means that prospective buyers that were interested in that item may buy it elsewhere thinking my item is no longer available.  Claiming an item and then essentially holding it hostage to use as leverage to negotiate another book will not be looked upon favorably in any circle other than your circle of one.

As a seller I would not tolerate this and would kick you to the curb then tell everyone I know what you did. You reneged on a deal because you couldn’t get the discount you wanted on a separate purchase. 

As a buyer I would never consider using this tactic. 

I was thinking more of eBay or mycomicshop

On 9/1/2022 at 5:07 PM, thehumantorch said:

I was thinking more of eBay or mycomicshop

True that.  

I want to know what group he actually thinks that such behavior is permissible, acceptable, and celebrated ?

Edited by Buzzetta

On 9/1/2022 at 12:59 PM, CAHokie said:
On 9/1/2022 at 12:18 PM, jsilverjanet said:
  • Mystery boxes are not allowed. You must list everything you are selling exactly as the buyer will receive it.

I do not see how this isn't clear. If you don't like it @CAHokiethen request the rule to be changed.

Does this make sense now????

You seem a little hot under the collar there about a guy giving away some free books. Sorry that it bothered you so much. Since you felt the need to use 3 question marks even though I can usually understand with the use of only one, I will answer.

I understand there is a huge difference between someone trying to make a quick buck on selling mystery boxes and someone doing something nice. Maybe you should get a hobby. I would suggest collecting comics but maybe that’s just to make a buck. (shrug)

The problem is that the thread did violate the rules as written.  I think we can all see the difference between mystery boxes sold to make money and mystery boxes given away in a kind and fun manner.  Perhaps the rules can be altered?

Edited by thehumantorch

this reminds me of Columbia house where I got 10 CDs for free and all I had to pay was shipping and handling.

I thought they were free?

imagine at the super market, free samples, ok now pay 10 cents for the toothpick

On 9/1/2022 at 6:08 PM, thehumantorch said:

I think we can all see the difference between mystery boxes sold to make money and mystery boxes given away in a kind and fun manner

You would think so but obviously some can’t.   If we go by the letter of the rule it says “selling.”  He is selling nothing and making nothing.

I did not see the original post, did it contain something that made it seem shady?  Even if it slightly (which is stretch) was outside of the rules, why would it bother anyone? People wonder why this place sucks lately, yet someone does something nice and they still get their undies in a wad.

On 9/1/2022 at 6:36 PM, jsilverjanet said:

this reminds me of Columbia house where I got 10 CDs for free and all I had to pay was shipping and handling.

I thought they were free?

imagine at the super market, free samples, ok now pay 10 cents for the toothpick

You thought they were free? Interesting. I remember it saying you had to agree to buy X number of CD’s over a set time.

52A31122-888E-4AE1-84EC-ADB8574C9A82.thumb.jpeg.01a131ba2419ea98cc54ca746a04022c.jpeg9CBF448D-D404-4297-BD78-B9CEF1080AB6.thumb.jpeg.a2fcac703f44d38318edca1ea9d0869a.jpeg

@shadroch Did you have a subscription component? First box free if you agree to buy 2 boxes this year? 

On 9/1/2022 at 5:23 PM, CAHokie said:

You would think so but obviously some can’t.   If we go by the letter of the rule it says “selling.”  He is selling nothing and making nothing.

I did not see the original post, did it contain something that made it seem shady?  Even if it slightly (which is stretch) was outside of the rules, why would it bother anyone? People wonder why this place sucks lately, yet someone does something nice and they still get their undies in a wad.

Mike did pull the thread so I assume he felt it did violate the rules.  And sorry, I didn't see the thread either, just the fallout.  Can't we edit the rules to allow mystery giveaways - it's a fun idea - as long as there's no profiting in the shipping?

On 9/1/2022 at 4:23 PM, CAHokie said:

My offer was this - I'll fill five flat rate boxes with assorted leftovers as I pack up.- scratch and dents,  this I just dont have room for, and someone pays the postage.  Wasn't making a dime, I just hate to throw stuff away.  When six people said yes, I cut it off and said I'd give away the sixth box ,as well.  Only one person could see thru the ruse I was pulling. Thank gawd he has everyones back.

On 9/1/2022 at 3:08 PM, thehumantorch said:

The problem is that the thread did violate the rules as written.  I think we can all see the difference between mystery boxes sold to make money and mystery boxes given away in a kind and fun manner.  Perhaps the rules can be altered?

List everything I was selling.  I was selling nothing so how is this a violation? One person takes a fun thread and ruins it over a petty ten year grudge. 

Edited by shadroch

Hi Shadroch - I am a new member to the forum.  I came across a thread from many years ago regarding Jack Kirby's personal collection of "long lost" bound comic books (eg AF#15, ASM, etc.) and wanted to know more about this supposed collection if you are okay to share?  I didn't know how to reach you otherwise & the previous thread from long ago is closed to new comments.  

It’s not free to buyer if you have to pay shipping 

I don’t see how people don’t see that 

he may not be making a profit but the buyer is still paying something ($21.50) for what they are getting 

Yet this same board nominated someone to the HOS for not sending their secret Santa gift