• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 4/14/2022 at 8:39 PM, miraclemet said:
On 4/14/2022 at 8:32 PM, Wipple said:

What happened to FT’s golden age F collection thread? 

I came here wondering the same thing....

It was due to 4 notifications I received about multiple active FS threads on the first page.  After I removed it, the OP marked the other active thread closed so, I told him I would move the thread back.  

On 4/14/2022 at 9:00 PM, CGC Mike said:

It was due to 4 notifications I received about multiple active FS threads on the first page.  After I removed it, the OP marked the other active thread closed so, I told him I would move the thread back.  

Thanks 😊 

On 4/18/2022 at 6:59 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

Sales Threads

A poem, by me.

Overgrade and underprice

And your sales thread will come out nice.

Just mail them out and you will find

That people make their own peace of mind.

I think this makes me the boards poet laureate.

Yeah but look at the competition.

On 1/1/2022 at 1:17 AM, grebal said:

Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses.

So not trying to stir any pots just was curious whether media mail was acceptable as a shipping method if exact method of shipping is not noted in a sales post? 

I know there is always the risk of having your purchase shipped via media mail on eBay but I was curious to see if there was any rules around it on here since I’m pretty sure everyone is well aware of it not being technically allowed. 

On 4/22/2022 at 11:56 PM, Rezin1234 said:

So not trying to stir any pots just was curious whether media mail was acceptable as a shipping method if exact method of shipping is not noted in a sales post? 

I know there is always the risk of having your purchase shipped via media mail on eBay but I was curious to see if there was any rules around it on here since I’m pretty sure everyone is well aware of it not being technically allowed. 

It’s not breaking any defined rule.

On 4/23/2022 at 2:56 AM, Rezin1234 said:

Best to be sure, so why not ask the seller about shipping, generally you can have them shipped however you want if you are paying.

On 4/23/2022 at 2:56 AM, Rezin1234 said:

For the record, rule 7 does specify that "Estimated shipping costs, times, and methods must be listed." Technically a seller is supposed to spell out the shipping options at the start, although it varies from seller to seller how much specific info is given, sometimes a seller will simply give the buyer the choice of how they want it shipped, other sellers can insist on a specific carrier, as long as its  clear in the rules. I'm in Canada, and to the best of my knowledge we have no equivalent to "media mail". I do associate it with a kind of "cheap but at your own risk" method....but I've never been clear on what is properly "media" and what is not...?

On 4/23/2022 at 11:08 AM, crassus said:

For the record, rule 7 does specify that "Estimated shipping costs, times, and methods must be listed." Technically a seller is supposed to spell out the shipping options at the start, although it varies from seller to seller how much specific info is given, sometimes a seller will simply give the buyer the choice of how they want it shipped, other sellers can insist on a specific carrier, as long as its  clear in the rules. I'm in Canada, and to the best of my knowledge we have no equivalent to "media mail". I do associate it with a kind of "cheap but at your own risk" method....but I've never been clear on what is properly "media" and what is not...?

Media was always for books without ads, vhs tapes, sheet music.  I was told at the PO at one time, it was geared towards sending stuff to kids in college. Some places accepted comics, some did not...it depended on whether they determined that 50 year old ads were still "advertisements" .

I used it for years without a problem for comics ...because MY PO said it was fine, however...someone mailed me a package once, that was for another person who lived out of the U.S.and the shipper wouldn't ship out of the U.S.and that package ..which was not cheap...was shipped to me media and it got lost. It took about 2 months to find it. They don't track it the same way.

Last time I looked, I think Media specifically excluded comics...although I don't know if some places interpret that as "new comics" with valid ads. 

I have not looked in a few years, could have changed.

Have you ever had something shipped to you by "M Bag"?  Maybe 20 years ago, I bought a ton of cheap books somewhere and someone in Canada had me ship that way. It is supposed to be for "books" but there didn't seem to be a problem with comics and it was very reasonable. I think they still have them.

On 4/23/2022 at 12:08 PM, skypinkblu said:

Media was always for books without ads, vhs tapes, sheet music.  I was told at the PO at one time, it was geared towards sending stuff to kids in college. Some places accepted comics, some did not...it depended on whether they determined that 50 year old ads were still "advertisements" .

I used it for years without a problem for comics ...because MY PO said it was fine, however...someone mailed me a package once, that was for another person who lived out of the U.S.and the shipper wouldn't ship out of the U.S.and that package ..which was not cheap...was shipped to me media and it got lost. It took about 2 months to find it. They don't track it the same way.

Last time I looked, I think Media specifically excluded comics...although I don't know if some places interpret that as "new comics" with valid ads. 

I have not looked in a few years, could have changed.

Have you ever had something shipped to you by "M Bag"?  Maybe 20 years ago, I bought a ton of cheap books somewhere and someone in Canada had me ship that way. It is supposed to be for "books" but there didn't seem to be a problem with comics and it was very reasonable. I think they still have them.

Thanks  for clarifying that Sha, and while I've never received anything like  that, a few years ago a close friend of mine did receive comics in that way, if I remember correctly, he told me the delivery guy showed up at his door holding a bag, like a cloth bag or sack you would tie together at the top, and the comics inside had just been placed in raw and loose, and the bag was tied at the top with rope or something....he couldn't believe it, if I remember the comics inside had all been folded somewhat as per the shape of the "sack" they were placed in....

On 4/23/2022 at 12:23 PM, crassus said:

Thanks  for clarifying that Sha, and while I've never received anything like  that, a few years ago a close friend of mine did receive comics in that way, if I remember correctly, he told me the delivery guy showed up at his door holding a bag, like a cloth bag or sack you would tie together at the top, and the comics inside had just been placed in raw and loose, and the bag was tied at the top with rope or something....he couldn't believe it, if I remember the comics inside had all been folded somewhat as per the shape of the "sack" they were placed in....

It's actually the bag mail carriers use to carry mail, it's canvas and the top is leather and has a rope closure. 

I would put the comics IN BOXES and put the boxes in the bag...

At least they didn't use a cereal box.

I know what bag he means. Early in my selling I was given one by the usps but it seemed absurd to actually use it. I think you can send whatever you can fit in the bag.