• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

On 7/8/2022 at 8:31 PM, Domo Arigato said:

A poll has been created to possibly add a new rule to the Forum Marketplace.

You can view and vote on it here.

A new poll has been created regarding this issue.

You can view and vote on it here.

On 7/24/2022 at 5:24 PM, miraclemet said:

Not a fan of stealth price changes. Especially increases. Raise your price sure. But don't make me think I'm crazy for remembering a listing from 14 hrs ago at one price that is now a different price. 

Someone probably lowballed him and he jacked it up as punishment .... that'll teach 'em. :sumo: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Retracting a bid.

What are the guidelines to retracting a bid on the sales forum?

I've recently had some bad experiences with making people offers. Correct me if I am wrong but as a buyer, what's wrong with offering what I feel the book is worth? I don't mind being told "NO". A sale has to work for both sides. I do mind it when a seller finds it necessary to lecture me on how good a deal their price is and try to make me feel like a cheap sob.

At that point I'd rather not buy anything from that seller.

Any thoughts?

On 8/26/2022 at 10:48 AM, mytastebud said:

Retracting a bid.

I've recently had some bad experiences with making people offers. Correct me if I am wrong but as a buyer, what's wrong with offering what I feel the book is worth? I don't mind being told "NO". A sale has to work for both sides. I do mind it when a seller finds it necessary to lecture me on how good a deal their price is and try to make me feel like a cheap sob.

Any thoughts?

retracting a bid (as in an auction) or retracting an offer?  They're not the same thing and should be dealt with differently.  

Lectures about offers (whether too low or too high) are maybe not best business practices, but I don't think should be regulated or moderated unless threats or abusive language is used, in which case the mods should be notified.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:48 PM, mytastebud said:

Retracting a bid.

Any thoughts?

If a seller is willing to entertain offers and it's clearly stated in their sales post, they should be willing to entertain all offers with grace.

On 8/26/2022 at 12:12 PM, revat said:

That's not a 'bid', that's a claim (and theoretically a done deal) on that specific issue.  The difference in nomenclature matters.  Nothing wrong with trying to negotiate more AFTER the fact for more stuff, but the understanding should be that at minimum, there is an agreement to purchase that item (or items) previously claimed at the originally agreed upon prices.

If they attempt to pull out after that, then that is bad form and possibly (if one should choose to attempt to enforce) worthy of the probation thread. Or certainly a warning to other boardies.  As some have stated, it might be easier to just let them out of the deal than to deal with returns or disgruntled buyers, but that's totally up to the seller at that point.  But the behavior of pulling out of agreed upon deals is HEAVILY FROWNED UPON here.

I don't agree with that but if that is the rule, I am happy to comply or purchase elsewhere. The reason I don't agree is it is very common to make a purchase and ask afterwards to add to the purchase at a little better price. You are not technically done with the purchase until the thread is complete or you walk away.2c

On 8/26/2022 at 2:11 PM, seanfingh said:

If I were the Seller, I would let him out of everything. Avoids any future problems with someone already disgruntled.

good approach. I do think once you say take it you have done took it, but this is a great approach as a seller

On 8/26/2022 at 12:41 PM, seanfingh said:

That's your opinion. What it sounds like to me is someone who is willing to "purchase" books at full price knowing full well they are going to try and "negotiate" a big discount on other book(s) thereby making everything a better deal - and then to top it all off, when the "negotiating" doesn't work, you bail on the whole deal.

Completely unsavory - and why I would let you bail.  And then you would see Fingh screaming from the rooftops to let everyone know what my experience was.

See I knew I would open myself up to personal attacks. I think I have a valid concern. Even the seller in question sent me a PM and wants to back out. 

Just on this page alone I have purchased from Bird and JimJum12. Had great experiences both times. Don't worry Sean I won't buy from you.

On 8/26/2022 at 3:24 PM, mytastebud said:

I don't agree with that but if that is the rule, I am happy to comply or purchase elsewhere. The reason I don't agree is it is very common to make a purchase and ask afterwards to add to the purchase at a little better price. You are not technically done with the purchase until the thread is complete or you walk away.2c

I have to respectfully disagree. A claim is a claim, regardless of what transpires after the fact. I'm not looking to pile on but that is the proper etiquette.