• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

If i send an offer on a book that is raw but based on GPA and I send an offer that subtracts out grading and shipping fees does that mean I lowballed?

No, quite the opposite...such an offer would be very fair, perhaps even generous.

edit: although, in fairness, I suppose "it depends" on the book, etc., etc....for example, low dollar books where there's no point in slabbing them to begin with, I could see not discounting by the full slabbage fees, etc.

Edited by edowens71

If i send an offer on a book that is raw but based on GPA and I send an offer that subtracts out grading and shipping fees does that mean I lowballed?

I've sold many a book that way. (thumbs u

No, quite the opposite...such an offer would be very fair, perhaps even generous.

edit: although, in fairness, I suppose "it depends" on the book, etc., etc....for example, low dollar books where there's no point in slabbing them to begin with, I could see not discounting by the full slabbage fees, etc.

I would say quite generous. The premium given slabs is not based only on the added costs of slabbing, but the value added intangibles of the check for restoration ("congrats, its blue") and the easier resale ("it is what it is"). Some people only buy slabs because they don't want the risk of buying or selling raw books. People are paying premium values for slabs because its reduced risk.

IMO unless the book is a significant key or "hot key" the raw is worth substantially less than its recorded GPA values. Whether its even appropriate to cite GPA for raw books is a big question.

Just was wondering why I didn't get a reply on a PMd offer. Definitely read. Definitely several hours ago. Just was curious. Thanks!

Seller might be weighing options. (shrug)

I don't mind if someone doesn't get back to me right away. If it's more than a day then I'd probably wonder what's going on.

Just was wondering why I didn't get a reply on a PMd offer. Definitely read. Definitely several hours ago. Just was curious. Thanks!

Seller might be weighing options. (shrug)

I don't mind if someone doesn't get back to me right away. If it's more than a day then I'd probably wonder what's going on.

It's a courtesy to respond. Even if, "Hi, thanks, I've gotten your message. Still looking at options but I'll be in touch."

And no, that's not lowballing.

My issue with GPA vs raw is that raw is often overstated. Yes, some sellers are excellent and fair graders, but generally I count on books being at least .5 overgraded, if not a full point. Again, that depends on the seller. Some are very conservative, but we all know, a book in the hand is worth two in the thread.

Anyhow, I'm rambling .Someone sell me keys at last year's prices.

My issue with GPA vs raw is that raw is often overstated. Yes, some sellers are excellent and fair graders, but generally I count on books being at least .5 overgraded, if not a full point. Again, that depends on the seller. Some are very conservative, but we all know, a book in the hand is worth two in the thread.

When a bargain is no bargain.

When a bargain is no bargain.

No kidding. Generally, if you want CGC graded prices get the book graded.

I put the :takeit: for a book in a seller's thread after a PM discussion a week ago. I have not received any response from the seller (even though they have read the PM messages) as of yet.

My question is, do I;

Forget about it and move on

OR

Expect the seller the honor the agreement

???

thread for reference

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=359517&Number=8142490#Post8142490

I put the :takeit: for a book in a seller's thread after a PM discussion a week ago. I have not received any response from the seller (even though they have read the PM messages) as of yet.

My question is, do I;

Forget about it and move on

OR

Expect the seller the honor the agreement

???

thread for reference

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=359517&Number=8142490#Post8142490

He's probably just waiting to invoice everyone at the same time.

My first time buying from him I was very eager to pay and he told me to wait.

How do we get that helmet wearing to stop bumping 6 month old WTB threads? He has been pm'd by several members to stop.

We could be more diligent about closing our WTB threads if we are indeed no longer seeking the book. That way it'll be clear to him when an OP is no longer seeking a response. (shrug)

I find more irritation in the way he's responding (e.g., "If you're interested, please respond"), rather than the fact that he is responding. Also, strange that the only posts he has ever made are responses to WTBs...still, hard to fault a guy for responding to WTBs that aren't closed. It's perfectly plausible that those OPs are still looking for those books, and might even appreciate the response. There are other things going on in the WTB thread that I find infinitely more irritating than a guy who quite possibly is sincerely trying to help someone out.

:foryou:

How do we get that helmet wearing to stop bumping 6 month old WTB threads? He has been pm'd by several members to stop.

I had to see what all the fuss was about... that guy is a rock star! :headbang:

:facepalm:

Ask mod HarveySwick to give him a strike

:eyeroll: