• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

On a different topic...

I am finding it increasingly difficult to even peruse the WTB threads, much less not say anything, to WTB "offers" that are substantially less than current market prices.

It's to the point where I don't even look at the whole sub-forum anymore.

People...if you need to put out what you want to buy, don't insult people by offering them significantly less than market price. eBay is only 10% at most. Asking for 20% or more off, especially on regularly traded books, is gauche.

Better to not list a price at all.

On a different topic...

I am finding it increasingly difficult to even peruse the WTB threads, much less not say anything, to WTB "offers" that are substantially less than current market prices.

People...if you need to put out what you want to buy, don't insult people by offering them significantly less than market price. eBay is only 10% at most. Asking for 20% or more off, especially on regularly traded books, is gauche.

at least when they list a ridiculous "offer" i can easily move on. the WTB threads that make me want to scream are the ones when i waste time: finding the book, grading the book, pricing the book, scanning the book, sending a PM and then hearing ....................................

On a different topic...

I love it when they tell you they can "pay right away", after offering you 70% or 80% of FMV for your hot, key book.

On a different topic...

I love it when they tell you they can "pay right away", after offering you 70% or 80% of FMV for your hot, key book.

I'll pay you 60% of FMV, but only if you let me make time payments. (thumbs u

On a different topic...

At no money down. :wishluck:

On a different topic...

Can you drop ship that for me? :wishluck:

On a different topic...

Can you drop ship that for me? :wishluck:

Drop shipping :cloud9:

On a different topic...

I'm amazed when certain people list books they will buy, specifically state they will pay "up to" 85% of GPA (or FMV or similar) and find sellers.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

On a different topic...

I'm amazed when certain people list books they will buy, specifically state they will pay "up to" 85% of GPA (or FMV or similar) and find sellers.

I'm not clear on what you find unusual about this. Are you amazed that somebody is actually paying 85% of GPA/FMV, or that anybody is selling for that?

On a different topic...

I'm not clear on what you find unusual about this. Are you amazed that somebody is actually paying 85% of GPA/FMV, or that anybody is selling for that?

That's not surprising. In fact for board sales I would say that's expected. (shrug)

wasn't there an issue with this seller before - I believe some non disclosed flaws

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8171510&gonew=1#UNREAD

There was, but Mike has taken a step back and reached out to other boardies for grading assistance. He is very easy to work with as well.

On a different topic...

That's not surprising. In fact for board sales I would say that's expected. (shrug)

Surprised somebody is selling for that price.

Usually people are asking for hot books. If I have a hot book, and someone is offering "up to" 85% of its value, why wouldn't I just sell it myself elsewhere for FMV or at least closer?

Since I'm on the boards in order to see that WTB, I must be able to use the internet and can probably whip up a quick sales thread; or just go to eBay.

On a different topic...

Surprised somebody is selling for that price.

Usually people are asking for hot books. If I have a hot book, and someone is offering "up to" 85% of its value, why wouldn't I just sell it myself elsewhere for FMV or at least closer?

Since I'm on the boards in order to see that WTB, I must be able to use the internet and can probably whip up a quick sales thread; or just go to eBay.

I would sell a hot book here for 85% FMV. Just for the ease of sale and not having to deal with eBay. And the 10% FVF.

So within this one quoted thread, we have both sides.

RMA put off by people offering to buy a regularly traded book for > 10% off eBay price...

On a different topic...

And someone willing to let hot books go for > 10% off eBay price...

I would sell a hot book here for 85% FMV. Just for the ease of sale and not having to deal with eBay. And the 10% FVF.

Maybe that's why buyers offer at those prices -- people sell them for those prices.

So within this one quoted thread, we have both sides.

RMA put off by people offering to buy a regularly traded book for > 10% off eBay price...

On a different topic...

And someone willing to let hot books go for > 10% off eBay price...

Maybe that's why buyers offer at those prices -- people sell them for those prices.

There is also the bigger problem, and yes its been discussed here often enough, of what sales data is relevant and how to interpret it. GPA data must be interpreted, and cannot be simply read off a line. Raw values vs slabbed values for the same book must be interpreted, as there is no consensus apart from the latest "trend" in the market.

So a seller will likely base their GPA on the best interpretation of the highest value. The buyer might read the 12 month average and eliminate the outliers and arrive at a considerably different figure. The buyer's "reasonable" offer may in the end look like a "low ball" to the seller.

In the case of "hot keys" every seller is chasing the next plateau sale, and any reference to the 12 month average may seem especially "low ball".