• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I'm new to the boards and would like some opinions or advice. I listed a book a few days ago and am really surprised that I haven't gotten any offers, comments or PMs. If there is anything wrong with my post or something I should do differently, I'd love to hear it. Again, new here and hoping to start selling several books plus make some connections with other collectors.

Post is here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=79&Number=8159209&Searchpage=1&Main=360314&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post8159209

Thanks in advance!

also keep in mind the buyers here who are buying are usually on the front end of buying trends. WD19 has been a popular book for a few years (since Michonne showed up on TV) so most already have their copy to hold. Also there's some 9.8 modern elitism (those who only think its worth buying a top grade modern book. Also members here have been around the block a few times. Best time to get a deal on Walking dead books is NOT when they are airing, though you have priced it appropriately (looks to be about 10-15% under current GPA averages)

Also remember we just finished up con season, so many collectors are spent in terms of $$$.

But I'll say this

1) good sales listing (you followed all the guidelines!)

2) good pictures and descriptions

3) welcome to the boards!

Hang out, spend some time in Comics General, make some online friends!

Oh and check the Want To Buy thread to see if anyone is looking for a WD19

Want to buy thread

well good news is that he responded to the paypal disputes via E-mail. Seller states he was out of town and country thus the no contact for 7 weeks. He is shipping the item this Wednesday. Thanks for everyone's help and hope I can get this grail piece in!

Called it! :acclaim:

Starting the Paypal process could get him to respond to you, if nothing else.

Someone brought this thread to my attention and I wanted to drop a line.

On September 26th, when John made his 2nd to last timed payment, I emailed him directly on October 2nd and thanked him for his payment. Confirmed that I received it and that I would be on the road with limited email access. And if he should need to communicate with me, to please email me directly. He responded in kind via direct email.

For some reason, the above was never mentioned in this thread and in my opinion has created a false perception of the reality on the timeline. In hindsight I wish I would have told him in that direct email on Oct 2nd, that going forward through final payment to contact me directly and not on the boards because I would not be up and running until mid-November. That would have alleviated all of this.

John is a great communicator and made all his payments on time perfectly. For staying firmly committed to the transaction the whole way through the entire summer and fall; for that I am very thankful to him.

So the last payment rolled in Friday Nov 7th. At this point, again, our last mutual exchange of communication was Oct 2nd. Nothing in between as there was nothing in between previous months with timed payments.

I just got to a computer yesterday on the 10th as I was off on Friday the 7th; 3 days after final payment made and found the payment along with the paypal disputes, etc.

I completely understand someone getting frightened or alarmed over a $1K transaction and coming to the possible outcome of being scammed, etc. But if anyone here would have taken a moment to check out other recent posts of mine, you would have seen that I helped out a couple of board members in financial trouble, started a thread and offered some comics as a donation to a fallen board member's family, went out of my way to track a board member down who mailed me a valuable slab by mistake, or even checked out my kudos thread, or the massive inventory of SS 9.8 slabs I carry, you could come to the reasonable conclusion that I am probably not out to get someone.

This slab will ship out today via USPS 2 day delivery with signature confirmation. Thanks John for a great transaction and completing all of your timed payments with diligence and great promptness. Many thanks for your consideration. Appreciate it.

Preston

well good news is that he responded to the paypal disputes via E-mail. Seller states he was out of town and country thus the no contact for 7 weeks. He is shipping the item this Wednesday. Thanks for everyone's help and hope I can get this grail piece in!

On October 2nd, when John made his 2nd to last timed payment, I emailed him directly and thanked him for his payment. Confirmed that I received it and that I would be on the road with limited email access. And if he should need to communicate with me, to please email me directly. He responded in kind via direct email.

For some reason, the above was never mentioned in this thread and in my opinion has created a false perception of the reality on the timeline. In hindsight I wish I would have told him in that direct email on Oct 2nd, that going forward through final payment to contact me directly and not on the boards because I would not be up and running until mid-November. That would have alleviated all of this.

John is a great communicator and made all his payments on time perfectly. For staying firmly committed to the transaction the whole way through the entire summer and fall; for that I am very thankful to him.

So the last payment rolled in Friday Nov 7th. At this point, again, our last mutual exchange of communication was Oct 2nd. Nothing in between as there was nothing in between previous months with timed payments.

I just got to a computer yesterday on the 10th as I was off on Friday the 7th; 3 days after final payment made and found the payment along with the paypal disputes, etc.

I completely understand someone getting frightened or alarmed over a $1K transaction and coming to the possible outcome of being scammed, etc. But if anyone here would have taken a moment to check out other recent posts of mine, you would have seen that I helped out a couple of board members in financial trouble, started a thread and offered some comics as a donation to a fallen board member's family, went out of my way to track a board member down who mailed me a valuable slab by mistake, or even checked out my kudos thread, or the massive inventory of SS 9.8 slabs I carry, you could come to the reasonable conclusion that I am probably not out to get someone.

This slab will ship out today via USPS 2 day delivery with signature confirmation. Thanks John for a great transaction and completing all of your timed payments with diligence and great promptness. Many thanks for your consideration. Appreciate it.

Preston

Glad you guys got it all worked out :D

So he made the final payment and then opened up a dispute 1 day later? That just seems wacky.

Before assuming anything go back and read all the details. I don't blame the buyer for being concerned.

I don't think I missed anything. (shrug)

So he made the final payment and then opened up a dispute 1 day later? That just seems wacky.

Before assuming anything go back and read all the details. I don't blame the buyer for being concerned.

You have to remember his state of mind at that point in time. He forgot about our Oct 2nd correspondence and thought he was being scammed. Plus there is a limited window for paypal to dispute. This way he could pick up the 2nd to last payment as well as the last payment for the disputes as opposed to only being able to dispute the last payment if enough time had lapsed.

On October 2nd, when John made his 2nd to last timed payment, I emailed him directly and thanked him for his payment. Confirmed that I received it and that I would be on the road with limited email access. And if he should need to communicate with me, to please email me directly. He responded in kind via direct email.

Preston

Thanks. There was really nothing to work out. He merely opened the disputes as a hedge.

So a guy sends time payments and sends one on Sept 29 & Nov 7. Guy hasn't been on the boards since Sept 19th (which is like 45 days+) and can't get a hold of him and you aren't worried that a "newer" member may have taken your money?

Right...

Preston

Thanks. There was really nothing to work out. He merely opened the disputes as a hedge.

Glad you are good and well, he is getting his book and everything is kosher. Congrats on the sale very cool (and ultra hard to get book in 9.8)

So a guy sends time payments and sends one on Sept 29 & Nov 7. Guy hasn't been on the boards since Sept 19th (which is like 45 days+) and can't get a hold of him and you aren't worried that a "newer" member may have taken your money?

Right...

Please remember. The genesis of me posting on this thread was the fact that we did have a direct communication on October 2nd via email in which I confirmed his 2nd to last payment received and told him I would not be on the boards and have limited internet access so direct email would be best. This is what I am trying to clear up. I think he forgot about this correspondence as it is left out and hence created a more dire looking situation than it really was. Bottom line is everything is mary poppins now.

Preston

Glad you are good and well, he is getting his book and everything is kosher. Congrats on the sale very cool (and ultra hard to get book in 9.8)

(thumbs u

Right...

Please remember. The genesis of me posting on this thread was the fact that we did have a direct communication on October 2nd via email in which I confirmed his 2nd to last payment received and told him I would not be on the boards and have limited internet access so direct email would be best. This is what I am trying to clear up. I think he forgot about this correspondence as it is left out and hence created a more dire looking situation than it really was. Bottom line is everything is mary poppins now.

No not saying you are in the wrong or anything just stating that if I was in the buyer's position and I forgot you weren't going to be around and sent 2 payments and didn't hear from you since before the 1st payment over the course of 45+ days I would be worried as well.

I'm glad it was fine. The only point of my post was it seems a bit odd to me to have reservations and still make a final payment. That's all.

He didnt have reservations until after he made the payment and realized the seller has not read his last pm or been on boards. Seller and buyer both seem standup guys to me and there was just a minor communication glitch between the two. If only all board issues where fixed so easily.

I admitted I made the mistake of sending the final payment. I should have checked my pm's and tried to get in contact with him. With the previous payments the seller always responded saying he received them. We never had a problem with payments until the final two payments. You can see where I would get worried since I already sent in over 75% of the payments.

Now as far as the 10/2 message via E-mail...I do not recall that E-mail nor is it in my saved communications with him. Even if that is the case, as a buyer, I was worried about not hearing from him for let's say 5-6 weeks. Again I did not realize this until after I sent the final payment. Again, as I stated before, after I send payment I always send a pm giving the seller heads up that I sent the payment. Whether it's a timed payment or full payment. After I sent this final payment I saw the seller did not "read" the previous pm I sent about the next to last payment. That got me worried and I looked further into his forum activity and say nothing as of 9/19. So you can see why I was worried when the buyer didn't respond to a pm and no site activity for over 6 weeks. So my only reservation was AFTER I sent the final payment...there were no reservations or inquiries about the seller before I noticed the "no board activity".

I'm glad this only was a communication issue and not a "scam". As a buyer, I was worried because if it was a scam I would have to act as quickly as possible to recover whatever funds I could.

Again I freely admitted I made the mistake of sending the final payment...I never denied that. In the end I would still make the paypal claim because it's what prompted the seller to respond to my E-mails.

Edited by John91C