• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

eh, so I was late to the party, however in reading 300+ posts in one sitting, it seemed like other than the one mention by bababooey, RMA got a pass on this, especially after ratcheting up the rhetoric with accusations of thievery

I think he "got a pass" because reimbursement of a forwarded expense is what paypal means when they discuss the use of the personal option. In fact one of the options under the classic site setup was "money owed".

It's outside of a retail purchase or a profit setting. It's a straight up reimbursement. That can me for rent, or lunch, or money I paid Perez so he'd sign some books. I'm outta pocked, now I'm not anymore.

eh, so I was late to the party, however in reading 300+ posts in one sitting, it seemed like other than the one mention by bababooey, RMA got a pass on this, especially after ratcheting up the rhetoric with accusations of thievery

I think he "got a pass" because reimbursement of a forwarded expense is what paypal means when they discuss the use of the personal option. In fact one of the options under the classic site setup was "money owed".

It's outside of a retail purchase or a profit setting. It's a straight up reimbursement. That can me for rent, or lunch, or money I paid Perez so he'd sign some books. I'm outta pocked, now I'm not anymore.

It is a straight up reimbursement when it is to your friend for a non-commercial expense

This is still listed: Payment Owed - Use this payment type for things like reimbursing a friend for your share of a restaurant check, or repaying money that a family member loaned you.

RMA is using it for commercial purposes between businesses or between his business and customers in a manner which benefits his business. His use is not outside of a retail purchase or profit setting.

I'm not sure why people care so much. I enjoy the opportunity to inflate my post count but the emotion in defending PayPal usage makes me lol

I have about 4-5,000 transactions with PayPal annually. If they have an issue they know my email, phone number and address. Let your balance go negative and see how quickly they contact you. Use PayPal as you need to. Perhaps more time looking in the mirror as opposed to the window. ;)

It is a straight up reimbursement when it is to your friend for a non-commercial expense

This is still listed: Payment Owed - Use this payment type for things like reimbursing a friend for your share of a restaurant check, or repaying money that a family member loaned you.

RMA is using it for commercial purposes between businesses or between his business and customers in a manner which benefits his business. His use is not outside of a retail purchase or profit setting.

I'm not a business, but I help people get books signed. They ship them to me and then I get them signed and pay the artist whatever his cost per book is, then I am reimbursed.

Basically, I am loaning them the money by fronting it to the artist, and they are paying me back. It has been allowed from the advent of the personal policy and I think you might be misreading something as exclusive that is far more inclusive.

And you shouldn't gloss over paypal using the term "for things like", that means it's an example of one potential use and not a complete list of potentialities.

lol

Round and round.

Ratt?

:headbang:

My favorite band growing up.

:headbang:

In keeping with the theme....

selena gomez

Bouncing Around the Room

Wow thread-crapping in a fundraising/donation thread... new all time low.

I dont disagree with the posters point, but I also dont think that a fundraising thread is the place to re-raise the issue. All the post might do is dissuade someone from participating and helping in the thread.

I dont disagree with the posters point, but I also dont think that a fundraising thread is the place to re-raise the issue. All the post might do is dissuade someone from participating and helping in the thread.

You don't think it's important for people to know that the person they are donating money to has taken money from boardies, in some cases years ago, and have not provided what was promised?

I don't think we need to deify the party being donated to, reality works just fine. If they have shortcomings, and owe people, then that's part of the story that needs to be told. No sense in hiding facts in order to raise the final tally.

Full disclosure to people throwing money at someone doesn't feel like thread-crapping...at all.

That's the type of context that anyone donating should want to have given the enormity of the latitude the person being donated to has been given. Something that would have had almost anyone else on one or more "lists".

There are folks that are out significant money, and plenty of folks that have supported this same person for several years in that mix, and it's appropriate to have the full measure of reality injected into that conversation as it seems their loss is being muted.

You don't think it's important for people to know that the person they are donating money to has taken money from boardies, in some cases years ago, and have not provided what was promised?

I don't think we need to deify the party being donated to, reality works just fine. If they have shortcomings, and owe people, then that's part of the story that needs to be told. No sense in hiding facts in order to raise the final tally.

Full disclosure to people throwing money at someone doesn't feel like thread-crapping...at all.

That's the type of context that anyone donating should want to have given the enormity of the latitude the person being donated to has been given. Something that would have had almost anyone else on one or more "lists".

There are folks that are out significant money, and plenty of folks that have supported this same person for several years in that mix, and it's appropriate to have the full measure of reality injected into that conversation as it seems their loss is being muted.

+100

I like Matt. And I know if this thread had just popped up 2 years ago, I'd have been one of the first to buy or sell something for his cause. I think it speaks volumes about the concern many of his longtime supporters have that they aren't jumping in to make donations. Many feel that the donation to date has been payment for things that haven't been received yet.