• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Wow thread-crapping in a fundraising/donation thread... new all time low.

I dont disagree with the posters point, but I also dont think that a fundraising thread is the place to re-raise the issue. All the post might do is dissuade someone from participating and helping in the thread.

You don't think it's important for people to know that the person they are donating money to has taken money from boardies, in some cases years ago, and have not provided what was promised?

I don't think we need to deify the party being donated to, reality works just fine. If they have shortcomings, and owe people, then that's part of the story that needs to be told. No sense in hiding facts in order to raise the final tally.

Full disclosure to people throwing money at someone doesn't feel like thread-crapping...at all.

That's the type of context that anyone donating should want to have given the enormity of the latitude the person being donated to has been given. Something that would have had almost anyone else on one or more "lists".

There are folks that are out significant money, and plenty of folks that have supported this same person for several years in that mix, and it's appropriate to have the full measure of reality injected into that conversation as it seems their loss is being muted.

Not sure how the two things go hand in hand. I can definitely understand the people who have been waiting for 3 years for art to not donate since they may feel like they have given Matt more then enough. But mentioning he owes art to people in a charity thread doesn't seem to make much sense unless you think he has misused the money previously given him which should be pointed out if you have proof. Having people like myself donate some money to Matt should in no way stop Matt from living up to his promises and will hopefully help him get the art to people who have paid for it.

It's great that you want to help someone out. There are many people here that have supported Matt for years. I, personally, have several thousand dollars worth of his art and products myself. That's the type of perspective that might be valuable to someone who hasn't supported him in that way in the past.

Letting people know that Matt owes people and that there are other people on this forum being harmed by his circumstances is another reason for people to help get Matt on his feet.

Your donation and the donations of others may be able to help Matt AND the people Matt owes simultaneously. It's all tied together and anyone donating would appreciate a full spoonful of disclosure without the pits filtered out.

+1 to all of this.

It isn't threadcrapling in any way shape or form and as you eloquently stated, if he was someone that was not as well thought of, he would been on the probation list or hos a whe ago.

I can agree with this.

And I called Matt the other day to see how he was doing. I got his answering machine and I haven't heard back.

I like Matt and hope this gets straightened out but I too think that I a case like this people should be aware of how much money has already gone into helping Matt if that is the case.

One reason is that even though we are mostly good people and want to help, most people have limits on how much they can help.

I find it valuable knowing

1) how much help someone needs (if they have insurance covering much of their expenses then they don't need as much help as if they didn't have insurance)

2) how long they have needed help for - this indicates to me how much effort someone might be putting into truly trying to make their way out of their situation

3) how much they have already been helped

Most people want to help, but most people that want to help want to know that their help is being put to good use and not being either wasted or misdirected.

No pictures, no time for that and no returns...

Discuss.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8829327#Post8829327

Yes. I saw this, too. :popcorn:

Interesting strategy. hm No way for this to go wrong.

and someone bought a book. doh! "no time"- classic

Surely he will be a " satisfied " customer. lol

I adore how this place comes together to help each other in times of desperate need.

And while my heart goes out to anyone going through a difficult time, my funds are finite, and helping someone already on borrowed funds seems like I'd be better off helping someone else.

I'm sorry if this seems callous, but the gent who sets up near the beer store can't sell a painting and eat tonight.

The Beer Store ! :cloud9:

Are you old enought o remember it being called Brewers Retail?

There is a local artist that does that sort of thing here in Ottawa,specializes in owl paintings...I own almost twenty.

I adore how this place comes together to help each other in times of desperate need.

And while my heart goes out to anyone going through a difficult time, my funds are finite, and helping someone already on borrowed funds seems like I'd be better off helping someone else.

I'm sorry if this seems callous, but the gent who sets up near the beer store can't sell a painting and eat tonight.

The Beer Store ! :cloud9:

Are you old enought o remember it being called Brewers Retail?

There is a local artist that does that sort of thing here in Ottawa,specializes in owl paintings...I own almost twenty.

Yeah, I do remember the old name. Our guy has no paintings, just stands quietly, never asks for anything.

So at the end of the day, Matt is going to get some help, and redouble his efforts to get everyone their owed art? Wow, that sounds like a win win. If only someone would have posted that really early on, so that the most important priority (Matt's health and safety) and secondary priorities (people's art) could be appropriately balanced with everyone understanding what has been going on for a couple years.

But then, where would everyone store their piles of righteous indignation?

Or move overpriced inventory, while keeping the bulk of the proceeds for themselves? Where indeed?

I'll bet those crosses get mighty heavy for some folks.

Like a BOSS!

Discuss.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8829327#Post8829327

It's a good deal, in fact, it's the deal of a lifetime. :preach:

Raw books at well under GPA. :headbang:

Discuss.

It's a good deal, in fact, it's the deal of a lifetime. :preach:

Raw books at well under GPA. :headbang:

It gets even better.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8829903&fpart=7

Either $350 is the new 15 Grand or there was a lot of back door dealing going on. I am glad I did not waste any time in that thread. I can only imagine the number of refreshing clicks that took place.