• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some

there will always be more books...

has anyone checked out the great deals in copper/modern :whistle:

I heard there are even some better ones on page 2. :whistle:

I have no skin in this game but I watched an " :takeit: pending scan" trump a later posted :takeit: by a different buyer.

A seller can sell whatever way he/she wishes but It seems to me that " :takeit: pending scan" is another way of saying "still in negotiations". The scan has to be viewed and then an offer to buy is made.

The later :takeit: means :takeit: .

I also noted that the seller never mentioned the option of "pending scan" in their sales terms but did mention that :takeit: overrides any PMs.

No pictures, no time for that and no returns...

Discuss.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8829327#Post8829327

No pics, no returns = equals no interest from me (and a lot of others I'd wager)

Yet another seller who's not worth the time. Great business model

Discuss.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8829327#Post8829327

Yes. I saw this, too. :popcorn:

Interesting strategy. hm No way for this to go wrong.

and someone bought a book. doh! "no time"- classic

There's a term for this phenomenon.

I have no skin in this game but I watched an " :takeit: pending scan" trump a later posted :takeit: by a different buyer.

A seller can sell whatever way he/she wishes but It seems to me that " :takeit: pending scan" is another way of saying "still in negotiations". The scan has to be viewed and then an offer to buy is made.

I also noted that the seller never mentioned the option of "pending scan" in their sales terms but did mention that :takeit: overrides any PMs.

I don't like the second :takeit: trying to trump the first :takeit:

Why not just say if the first guy doesn't end up :takeit: then I will?

But doesn't throwing up a :takeit: "pending scan" amount to the same as a tracking bid? If an actual :takeit: doesn't hold weight, then what is the point?

Of course just having a scan right off the bat would erase any of this...

Dan

Discuss.

No pics, no returns = equals no interest from me (and a lot of others I'd wager)

Yet another seller who's not worth the time. Great business model

Those "deals" are all over the place too. $350 for a FF5 in G/VG (advertised) is incredible, then $250 for a raw ASM 300 in VF? People really expect a sale at that crazy price?

I think you and Dano are misunderstanding what :takeit: pending scan means - it's not a tracking bid, it is an acceptance of the price and a request for an additional detail (in this case, a scan) and the potential buyer should be responding to the scan with a "yes or no".

I imagine there's a few who'd use this methodology to make an offer, making an offer on a book held " :takeit: pending scan" is a weasel move IMHO :popcorn:

:D

Edited by bababooey

I think you and Dano are misunderstanding what :takeit: pending scan means - it's not a tracking bid, it is an acceptance of the price and a request for an additional detail (in this case, a scan) and the potential buyer should be responding to the scan with a "yes or no".

I imagine there's a few who'd use this methodology to make an offer, making an offer on a book held " :takeit: pending scan" is a weasel move IMHO :popcorn:

IMO the seller determines whether he's willing to sell the book 'pending scan' or to the 1st unqualified :takeit:

IMO, if the seller only says :takeit: trumps negotiations then the unqualified :takeit: trumps a 'penidng scan' because there is no provision for 'pending scan' to put the book on hold temporarily (which is what the 'pending scan' buyer is asking for).

I had one person here do that. Took it pending scan and then tried to negotiate the price, not because of anything in the scan, but because the price didn't leave them enough profit margin.

I had one person here do that. Took it pending scan and then tried to negotiate the price, not because of anything in the scan, but because the price didn't leave them enough profit margin.

:popcorn:

And thus, ended all possible buyers from buying it outright. The :takeit: was used as a placeholder. This is my fear. :)

Dan

And thus, ended all possible buyers from buying it outright. The :takeit: was used as a placeholder. This is my fear. :)

Dan

Couldn't the seller end the end by simply posting in the thread: "book is stil available"?

Dan

Couldn't the seller end the end by simply posting in the thread: "book is stil available"?

end the end? hm

Dan

I think it's up to the seller to specify and if they want unconditional to trump conditional, then state it.

The point is not to diminish the power of the conditional :takeit: because some people try to use these kind of situations to hone their negotiating skillz.

2c

Also, my concern is this. Let's say I list an ASM #1 Fine for $10,000. Someone says :takeit: pending scan. I post the scan and then they say "I'll Pass" Now in actuality the book is a Fine and there is nothing wrong with it but what happened was in the time between posting and my putting up the scans the seller got cold feet for having to fork over $10,000 and used the escape clause of "not liking the scan" rather then just saying s/he didn't want to pay for it. Now in everyone else's mind there is a seed planted that there is something "wrong" with the book because why did person x pass on it and maybe they saw something that the other interested parties are missing. Thus people may pass on the book.