• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I agree that this does not seem to be a well-conceived charity thread.

I definitely jumped before checking to see how deep the water is. I still stand behind my desire to help Matt out but I would admit that I should have done some more research before starting up the thread.

No one can fault you for doing something nice for someone. It was a great gesture on your part.

+1

I definitely jumped before checking to see how deep the water is. I still stand behind my desire to help Matt out but I would admit that I should have done some more research before starting up the thread.

No one can fault you for doing something nice for someone. It was a great gesture on your part.

Totally agree.

Totally agree.

I do too.

I also can't fault 1Cool. He's just trying to be kind.

Agreed...hard to find fault with the underlying sentiment.

A good reminder, though...if I ever get it in my head to start a board charity thread, STEP 1 will be running the idea by Sha before doing anything else :grin:

If it passes the "Sha test," I know it's been well-vetted...and maybe she'd even help with logistics if the cause is just ( ;):grin::foryou: )

Totally agree.

I do too.

Definitely.

No one can fault you for doing something nice for someone. It was a great gesture

on your part.

+4

I think it speaks volumes about the concern many of his longtime supporters have that they aren't jumping in to make donations.

and I just think that's the way to do it...

and Im not sure how to navigate that the guy has broken promises, but Im not sure that in a donation thread to help him out is where to air that laundry....

Totally agree.

I do too.

Definitely.

:D

I think it speaks volumes about the concern many of his longtime supporters have that they aren't jumping in to make donations.

and I just think that's the way to do it...

and Im not sure how to navigate that the guy has broken promises, but Im not sure that in a donation thread to help him out is where to air that laundry....

on the otherhand...if I donated something and LATER found out that this the donee owed multiple people money/art for YEARS, I might then feel like there are better uses for my money (including possibly charitable ones). I'd be even more upset if other people OBVIOUSLY knew about this situation but no one said anything.

Its a little like going through bankruptcy. There's a reason the courts want to know who you owe money to and why, BEFORE they give you any help. And I know it can sound a little judgmental, like you're declaring someone 'worthy' of your aid. But the truth is, we do it all the time. We all can't donate unlimited funds to every charity or homeless person in every case. We all do it based on personal preference or circumstance for any number of reasons.

Wow thread-crapping in a fundraising/donation thread... new all time low.

I dont disagree with the posters point, but I also dont think that a fundraising thread is the place to re-raise the issue. All the post might do is dissuade someone from participating and helping in the thread.

You don't think it's important for people to know that the person they are donating money to has taken money from boardies, in some cases years ago, and have not provided what was promised?

I don't think we need to deify the party being donated to, reality works just fine. If they have shortcomings, and owe people, then that's part of the story that needs to be told. No sense in hiding facts in order to raise the final tally.

Full disclosure to people throwing money at someone doesn't feel like thread-crapping...at all.

That's the type of context that anyone donating should want to have given the enormity of the latitude the person being donated to has been given. Something that would have had almost anyone else on one or more "lists".

There are folks that are out significant money, and plenty of folks that have supported this same person for several years in that mix, and it's appropriate to have the full measure of reality injected into that conversation as it seems their loss is being muted.

Not sure how the two things go hand in hand. I can definitely understand the people who have been waiting for 3 years for art to not donate since they may feel like they have given Matt more then enough. But mentioning he owes art to people in a charity thread doesn't seem to make much sense unless you think he has misused the money previously given him which should be pointed out if you have proof. Having people like myself donate some money to Matt should in no way stop Matt from living up to his promises and will hopefully help him get the art to people who have paid for it.

I don't know anyone involved, but if someone paid for something three years ago and hasn't received anything I don't know what definition of "misused" you are using.

I was thinking along the lines of drug habit, hookers, etc.

I love Matt and I love his work, I have for years. I've talked up his art and talent to everyone who'll listen. I don't know anyone else that's commissioned him to do a large format oil painting, but I did, and it's a favorite piece of mine.

That being said, taking cash for a job to be completed in short order and then disappearing for what amounts to years is "misuse" when you've been paid to do a job.

I did so suck it, Caira

xoxo

greggy

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8826905#Post8826905

what do you think? will the OP get angry? or edit and attempt to the follow the rules? or both?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8826905#Post8826905

what do you think? will the OP get angry? or edit and attempt to the follow the rules? or both?

I can see being lazy for a small sale. But not when someone is asking for a couple thousand dollars. Seems counterproductive.

I can see being lazy for a small sale. But not when someone is asking for a couple thousand dollars. Seems counterproductive.

if there's one thing I like to make my customers do, its to make them pester me for more information while I look lazy and unprofessional. I've generally found this to be effective in achieving higher prices.

Although to be fair, he might be willing to really 'deal'. Like he's so lazy he'd accept an offer of $900 rather than put in 1/2 more of work to make an extra $500-$1000. Everyone's time is worth different amounts.