• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Maybe we should have a policy here to have books only listed at its current condition to avoid any confusion?

Or, we can let people say what they want in their sales threads, and let everyone else judge for themselves on whatever terms they want.

;)

Sure... And watch this place turn to ebay 2.0

More rules won't help this situation. If people can say "it's a 9.0" but they can't say "it might press into a 9.6," then they might just say "it's a 9.6." Then, just like if they had said the first line, people will look at the ad, the seller, & the comic and decide for themselves.

Caveat emptor!

(thumbs u

-slym

I just think Paulo was suggesting that it might be annoying to read people write "could press to" when pressing is not even something you would take into consideration. A book should be sold for what it is, no matter what.

And I do not adhere to a misunderstood concept of freedom for which everyone should be allowed to do "whatever he wants", as what we want is obviously related also to the respect we have for others (and for things at large).

This has to be the thread that caused this conversation.

I'm fine with a seller who knows what they're talking about using "could press to" selling tactics as long as they use it infrequently, accurately and for books where pressing actually makes sense.

This is not the case here.

So this is about a guy saying his $20 books could be $30 books after a press?

This has to be the thread that caused this conversation.

I'm fine with a seller who knows what they're talking about using "could press to" selling tactics as long as they use it infrequently, accurately and for books where pressing actually makes sense.

This is not the case here.

So this is about a guy saying his $20 books could be $30 books after a press?

Pretty much. Stress on the "could" part because the press potential is often accompanied by a series of question marks and uncertainty.

He makes it pretty clear that he doesn't know what he's talking about (and the books agree), therefore, it's clearly irresponsible to advocate pressing as a sales tactic.

If it's clear to you, do you think it's not clear to others? Micromanaging sales threads, however incompetently run, isn't a good idea.

I would not be confident that everybody is as experienced in pressing potential as some might be.

I might also suggest that it is no more micromanaging a sales thread to insist on describing what is actually there as it is to demand methods of payment to be posted. (shrug)

If it's clear to you, do you think it's not clear to others? Micromanaging sales threads, however incompetently run, isn't a good idea.

I would not be confident that everybody is as experienced in pressing potential as some might be.

I might also suggest that it is no more micromanaging a sales thread to insist on describing what is actually there as it is to demand methods of payment to be posted. (shrug)

Then who gets to be that arbiter? Who's the 'your statement about pressing is accurate' judge?

Caveat emptor, that's a paramount concept in any market. If people don't like those statements, they can stay away from someone's sales.

People always need to be aware, but we've always tried to keep this marketplace to a higher standard. So you can be aware and not obvlious and if the other person makes an honest error you should be able to return the item.

In combination, those things SHOULD make this place safer...but looking at that guy's thread is scary. What's really scary is people buying books that look around VG (although who can tell they are in plastic because the person is too lazy busy with more important stuff to take them out to take a picture), because the seller says he thinks they can press to a NM.

Edited by skypinkblu

I don't love a lot of rules, I agree that people need to be careful, I say that all the time. I wonder about some of those posts, though. Maybe someone could start remedial grading classes and make a fortune;)

People complain about eBay all the time, overall, I've always found similarities. When I spent a lot of time on eBay we had a chatboard where bad sellers were pointed out. Same thing happens here, there are just more sellers on eBay, so the proportions are bigger.

Give some of these boardies time. I have faith they can standardize everything. Just a heads up Sharon, posts must be black.

I was reading this in my email and spit out my orange juice;)

That's a paddlin'

Better believe that's a paddlin'

Then who gets to be that arbiter? Who's the 'your statement about pressing is accurate' judge?

If we have a solid policy in place and everybody is expected to abide a certain high standards, we will likely not need an arbiter - this should result to less drama. If we continue the status-quo, well... :)

Carnival barking is annoying but the seller will eventually learn that it doesn't help and actually hurts a sales thread. I don't see a need to regulate it, people will just look down on the seller and move along.

I agree with this. However, I will continue to express my disdain for the hard core pimps, pump and dumpers, and barkers

Carnival barking is annoying but the seller will eventually learn that it doesn't help and actually hurts a sales thread. I don't see a need to regulate it, people will just look down on the seller and move along.

I agree with this. However, I will continue to express my disdain for the hard core pimps, pump and dumpers, and barkers

I agree with both. I generally just move along, but Sean has a point. :)

I know and it's not a risk scenario. It only hurts the seller. He's new, he'll learn and it doesn't require regulation.

It reminds me of "ebay 2.0" comments as it's a half a step away from "CGC it" and our marketplace should be better than that.