• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Mystery Boxes are extremely risky. That's why you better trust the seller or at least research his past sales to see if customers are happy.

Now what are the odds that those 10 sellers are going to be honest, upfront, offer a fair deal, pack them well, and grade them well.

Wouldn't all of these be applicable to any sales thread?

You mean when you actually see the books? Grade the books and describe defects with scans?

Id say the odds go up significantly.

But you aren't required to give both grades and pictures, are you?

As buyers aren't inclined to purchase from you without grades and pictures.

List books here without grades or pics and see how many you sell.

If buyers aren't inclined to purchase without grades or pictures then why would they be inclined to buy mystery boxes? Wouldn't they avoid them or assign the same amount of "risk".

You "assume" all buyers are rational thinking individuals. We are just approaching this from different viewpoints. You wont change mine and I don't think I am going to change yours either.

Now what are the odds that those 10 sellers are going to be honest, upfront, offer a fair deal, pack them well, and grade them well.

Wouldn't all of these be applicable to any sales thread?

You mean when you actually see the books? Grade the books and describe defects with scans?

Id say the odds go up significantly.

But you aren't required to give both grades and pictures, are you?

As buyers aren't inclined to purchase from you without grades and pictures.

List books here without grades or pics and see how many you sell.

Does 300+ mystery boxes priced at $100 or more in less than a year count?

This is what I'm curious about. If you listed those 300 lots with a group picture and a list of the books, do you think you would have sold so many?

any chance "could press to" or any variation be banned from FS threads? aren't we better than this?

I think its all in the context. If the seller states a clear grade of the book as it is now, assuming full disclosure of course, and only adds as a matter of their opinion that a book may improve with pressing given its particular defects, I do not think this can be faulted, it is merely an opinion.

On one level its a sales pitch, which may or may not turn out to be true, but the buyer is expected to use their own judgment.

If the claim "could press to" is given as a substitute for a clear and present grade, however, and the book is priced with the same optimism, than it is very questionable. Again, that said, the buyer should know better, IMO.

I don't really care if the seller says "could benefit from a press". My problem is when they price their comic as if I will actually going to get the book pressed. It is as if they're leaving money on the table by selling books at the grade it sits.

I feel two ways about it. I generally dislike it, but like crassus said, any buyer should use their judgment. In my current sales thread, I made statements to this effect on a couple of comics as I actually believe it to be true. Some folks like to know the "pressing potential' of books. Some don't. To each his own. I think in general, people should be left to run their sales threads as they see fit, within the boundaries of the system as is.

Maybe we should have a policy here to have books only listed at its current condition to avoid any confusion?

Or, we can let people say what they want in their sales threads, and let everyone else judge for themselves on whatever terms they want.

;)

I had a guy try to "correct" me about one of my craigslist ads today, telling me my item was overpriced and showed how a different brand item of basically the same thing was less expensive and I was "ripping off the public." He actually emailed me multiple times to tell me these things, and I pointed out how he was wrong at every turn, as the item he was comparing it with was a lesser quality version, no less that it was a different company making it, and yet he persisted. It was funny!

"Caveat emptor!" Those are words to live by.

:)

-slym

Maybe we should have a policy here to have books only listed at its current condition to avoid any confusion?

Or, we can let people say what they want in their sales threads, and let everyone else judge for themselves on whatever terms they want.

;)

-slym

Sure... And watch this place turn to ebay 2.0

;)

More rules won't help this situation. If people can say "it's a 9.0" but they can't say "it might press into a 9.6," then they might just say "it's a 9.6." Then, just like if they had said the first line, people will look at the ad, the seller, & the comic and decide for themselves.

Caveat emptor!

(thumbs u

-slym

Like it did a year and a half ago

More reason why we need this place differentiated from sites like eBay, Facebook, etc.

I have lots of respect on this site and it is a shame to see it go down this route. Don't get me wrong, MAJORITY of people here are honest and mean well.

;)

More rules won't help this situation. If people can say "it's a 9.0" but they can't say "it might press into a 9.6," then they might just say "it's a 9.6." Then, just like if they had said the first line, people will look at the ad, the seller, & the comic and decide for themselves.

Caveat emptor!

(thumbs u

-slym

I see where you are coming from and I mostly agree. However, if that seller decide to call his comic a 9.6 because he thinks he's leaving $$ on the table by calling it a 9.0, should be called out. If I was that seller, I would just raise my price and hope it sells at 9.0

Why advertise potential false hope? Again, we should have higher standards than eBay, Facebook, etc. We got rid of "cgc it" and I think it's a matter of time before the "could benefit from a press" go away.