• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

It's why the place is going to mess. Too many hustlers. Buyers and sellers are always trying to take any angle possible.

Sometimes, the "good ol days" were better.

I think we tend to romanticize the "good ol days". I've only been here for 6 years and still consider myself a newb. When I was a fairly new member, I had some bad dealings ( probation list worthy ) with a couple of "well respected", long time members. I was even encouraged at the time privately to nominate these people for the probation list ( I didn't ). Is it worse now? Probably. But if it was ever "perfect", it must have been that way before I arrived.

And you're definitely a noob

The good old days were when I actually made an effort to sell on the boards.

Now, F you guys

xoxo

greggy

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 9 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

The good old days were when I actually made an effort to sell on the boards.

Now, F you guys

xoxo

greggy

Could you imagine the interest that a Greggy sales thread would generate :o

Edited by 1Cool

Also, my concern is this. Let's say I list an ASM #1 Fine for $10,000. Someone says :takeit: pending scan. I post the scan and then they say "I'll Pass" Now in actuality the book is a Fine and there is nothing wrong with it but what happened was in the time between posting and my putting up the scans the seller got cold feet for having to fork over $10,000 and used the escape clause of "not liking the scan" rather then just saying s/he didn't want to pay for it. Now in everyone else's mind there is a seed planted that there is something "wrong" with the book because why did person x pass on it and maybe they saw something that the other interested parties are missing. Thus people may pass on the book.

Absolutely this can happen, does happen, and will happen again.

Allowing I'll take it pending scan gives the buyer his way out, for whatever reason he wants. It's exactly like buying a house on condition of a home inspection. As that guy can get out of buying the house (for whatever reason he chooses), so can the comic buyer get out of buying this comic (for whatever reason he chooses).

Every seller should also consider their two options, if they allow :takeit: pending scans.

1. placing the book on hold until the buyer decides (this is what I do)

2. having the book still available for anyone who wants to buy it outright without any conditions

In scenario #1, if the buyer passes, that could influence others watching that they also don't really need it that badly either.

In scenario #2, if someone jumps in and grabs it after someone said they'll take it pending scans, the guy who bought it outright may be considered an A-Hole for screwing over the first guy, even though he's well within his rights (or the rules) to do so. I've seen a book that I really wanted, and passed because someone already took it "pending scans". I didn't want to be the jerk.

So, best case scenario, as mentioned before: scan your books when having a sales thread. 2c

It's why the place is going to mess. Too many hustlers. Buyers and sellers are always trying to take any angle possible.

I think we tend to romanticize the "good ol days". I've only been here for 6 years and still consider myself a newb. When I was a fairly new member, I had some bad dealings ( probation list worthy ) with a couple of "well respected", long time members. I was even encouraged at the time privately to nominate these people for the probation list ( I didn't ). Is it worse now? Probably. But if it was ever "perfect", it must have been that way before I arrived.

At least I know my place, unlike a lot of these other Johnny-come-latelies who think they own the place after a few months.

At least I know my place, unlike a lot of these other Johnny-come-latelies who think they own the place after a few months.

Yeah, like those ' 05 guys. They're the worst

Yeah, like those ' 05 guys. They're the worst

Wasn't there a thread where we voted on the best class? I remember the '05 class being voted most obnoxious :baiting:

Personally I think that pictures/scans should be a requirement in all listings. I get it, it's a pain to take pictures for a book thats $1.00. Ok so take a group shot.

In short: Put at least as much effort into taking our money as we put into making it.

Not a big fan of forcing pics. I have a current sales thread with no pics and doing just fine. I understand that some buyers may not even look at the sales thread if there are no pics. Should be my option. Everybody likes options. ;)

I sell graded moderns for the most part. There is very little to be learned by posting pics most of the time.