• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I don't understand how a seller can claim No Returns.

If the buyer receives an overgraded book and seeks a return, wouldn't failure of seller to accept return and issue a refund be something that could land him/her on the Probation list?

To not accept returns and not post scans, that combination should be absolutely forbidden. This is not the wild west and rules need to exist to protect the boards' integrity. These free market and laissez-faire arguments applied to board sales are ridiculous.

:gossip: but what music will accompany that witty title?

You want to pick it?

Didn't give any thought to it yet but here are some current contenders off the top of my head:

Pictures of People Taking Pictures - Jack Johnson

Paint a Vulgar Picture - The Smiths

Pictures of You - The Cure

Take a Picture - Filter

Pictures of Me - Elliott Smith

Pretty as a Picture - Dean Martin

Or maybe a Martian Monster just because this song keeps coming up... its funkeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

If the buyer receives an overgraded book and seeks a return, wouldn't failure of seller to accept return and issue a refund be something that could land him/her on the Probation list?

I wouldn't think so. If you have pictures and know there are no returns why should the seller have to accept a return?

And if you don't have pictures and buy with no returns, well that was probably a poor choice from the buyer.

I was just accused of scamming someone out of $16.

:whee:

And I even posted scans.

:whee::whee:

And it was for a book I sold for half of what I paid.

:whee: :whee: :whee:

I wouldn't think so. If you have pictures and know there are no returns why should the seller have to accept a return?

And if you don't have pictures and buy with no returns, well that was probably a poor choice from the buyer.

Part of the problem is a certain assumption that pics/scans are self explanatory, when they are not. Pics mean nothing without at least a numerical grade or some sort of good faith disclosure of hidden defects.

No returns as a policy puts the pressure hard on full disclosure. If you show me a book that looks like a glossy VF and say "great copy!" and it turns out the cover is detached, I'm not going to care if there was a no returns policy, I'm going to want satisfaction for a misrepresentation of the product.

Part of the problem is a certain assumption that pics/scans are self explanatory, when they are not. Pics mean nothing without at least a numerical grade or some sort of good faith disclosure of hidden defects.

No returns as a policy puts the pressure hard on full disclosure. If you show me a book that looks like a glossy VF and say "great copy!" and it turns out the cover is detached, I'm not going to care if there was a no returns policy, I'm going to want satisfaction for a misrepresentation of the product.

I guess it would depend on why it was over graded. Something like a detached cover could be argued that it was damaged in shipping and you did not receive the book you bought. Or if some pages were missing.

I was thinking more along the lines of anyone being able to return a book for any reason (maybe they just changed their mind) and use grading as the reason.

I guess it would depend on why it was over graded. Something like a detached cover could be argued that it was damaged in shipping and you did not receive the book you bought. Or if some pages were missing.

I was thinking more along the lines of anyone being able to return a book for any reason (maybe they just changed their mind) and use grading as the reason.

I understand, and agree that assuming two good faith parties to a deal, "no returns" can work fine. I have read some opinions which justify pics and full disclosure as sufficient without putting numerical grades, on the grounds that specifying an exact grade invites debate on minutia as a pretext for the buyer making trouble after the fact.

Its hard not to come back to the (yes simple and maybe naïve) conclusion that the issue at all times is good faith to do right to the other party as you would expect for yourself.

And I even posted scans.

Everyone is too busy discussing the prevention of scamming to actually deal with your scam.

Please try again tomorrow.

And I even posted scans.

Everyone is too busy discussing the prevention of scamming to actually deal with your scam.

Please try again tomorrow.

lol

Item not as described. :gossip:

No, pics fixes all of this. :eyeroll:

Just for clarification - return policies aren't redundant because of Paypal

If someone accepts a seller's "no returns" provision when buying they better either suck it up or have a pretty good reason for seeking & forcing compensation through Paypal's terms without the seller's consent.

2c

IMHO :popcorn:

Item not as described. :gossip:

I was actually being facetious when I said this:

Just because you bought a book and did not turn in a person_without_enough_empathyer and moaner like the rest of the lot. I will send you a $100 dollar book.

Classy.

The reason people were 'whiny' was not because they were biznatches. It was because the seller didn't state what they were going to do.

Is it wrong of me to feel this way?