• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

We've seen all sorts of dealer malfeasance over the years but today I was reminded of an oldie. As old as the hobby itself. Did you guys ever have a seller pass off a book that was missing a page, or a pinup or a chunk of a page, as "complete"?

That happened to me a couple of times when I was a teenager before I learned to check the pages on any book I picked up.

Sure some dealers are just as lax as their buyers and have no idea that their book is missing a piece. Others know EXACTLY what they are doing. Sometimes, when a book is easily identified, you can track it back and see that it was disclosed as missing something before. That's when you know the seller is someone you probably would not want to deal with in the first place.

I am convinced there are some sellers that bank on buyers not taking a close look or being too trusting and they can make a big profit. All they have to do is slip if past someone and they can make way more on the book than they would have being honest.

Amazing what guys will do for an extra buck, fricken' wankers.

Never ceases to amaze me what sometimes goes on here, and is going on right now in the selling forum

I wish I know what was going on

We've seen all sorts of dealer malfeasance over the years but today I was reminded of an oldie. As old as the hobby itself. Did you guys ever have a seller pass off a book that was missing a page, or a pinup or a chunk of a page, as "complete"?

That happened to me a couple of times when I was a teenager before I learned to check the pages on any book I picked up.

Sure some dealers are just as lax as their buyers and have no idea that their book is missing a piece. Others know EXACTLY what they are doing. Sometimes, when a book is easily identified, you can track it back and see that it was disclosed as missing something before. That's when you know the seller is someone you probably would not want to deal with in the first place.

I am convinced there are some sellers that bank on buyers not taking a close look or being too trusting and they can make a big profit. All they have to do is slip if past someone and they can make way more on the book than they would have being honest.

Never ceases to amaze me what sometimes goes on here, and is going on right now in the selling forum

Wow! What a coincidence....that does seem to be happening right NOW!

Here's how the book was described just week or so ago....

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/captain-america-comics-36-timely-1944-condition-apparent-fr-gd/a/121606-11301.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

read especially the "a moderate-sized piece is missing from an interior page"

But now the book is 100% "Complete"

It's a MIRACLE!!!!

zaqhn.jpg

zaqhn.jpg

...and :roflmao:

But that is very :eek:

Never fear, he edited the description to describe the missing interior chunk...while chastising people who asked a simple question regarding the condition of the book he's selling.

Those were questions, mind you, that were raised by his own description, how that description differed from the Heritage description, and how his original "clarification of completeness" only contradicted the Heritage description more clearly.

I don't know about you, but when I see a Golden age book that gets purchased and then gets monkeyed around with immediately and then I remember the same guy doing the DIY work on the book has a WTB thread seeking interior parts to GA books.

A WTB kind of like this... http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9107247#Post9107247

I get a shiver down my spine thinking about what could be going on.

I don't know about you, but when I see a Golden age book that gets purchased and then gets monkeyed around with immediately and then I remember the same guy doing the DIY work on the book has a WTB thread seeking interior parts to GA books.

A WTB kind of like this... http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9107247#Post9107247

scooby_doo_2.jpg

zaqhn.jpg

Never fear, he edited the description to describe the missing interior chunk...while chastising people who asked a simple question regarding the condition of the book he's selling.

Those were questions, mind you, that were raised by his own description, how that description differed from the Heritage description, and how his original "clarification of completeness" only contradicted the Heritage description more clearly.

I don't mind someone else putting together a better book from a bunch of parts, doing so yourself is pretty tough on so many levels.

If a seller gets the book graded I don't think they even need to explain anything about it.

If they sell raw it would be nice to know your process, or at least mention you changed something from when it was purchased last. If previously bought online it's easy to track down info on the book and then even good intentions might look bad.

zaqhn.jpg

I don't mind someone else putting together a better book from a bunch of parts, doing so yourself is pretty tough on so many levels.

If a seller gets the book graded I don't think they even need to explain anything about it.

If they sell raw it would be nice to know your process, or at least mention you changed something from when it was purchased last. If previously bought online it's easy to track down info on the book and then even good intentions might look bad.

Disclosure is what it's all about. As long as whatever you do to a book is clearly disclosed, upfront, and before anyone even has to ask is the big key component.

If the seller gets the book graded and it was pieced together it's going to get a green label and get hammered but, hopefully, whomever grades it lists exactly what was done to the book.

People can do whatever they want with their books, as long as they're pretty fricken clear that they've been playing Frankenstein.

Whenever I sell a book that is pieced together I fully disclose the book as such. As I did with the action 23 that was posted last week. What I do not do is trim, color touch or restore books. If there is primitave resto I can remove without causing harm, that I will do. In case of this s cap, I fully disclosed the piece was removed. I did miss the missing piece in the interior. There was a better way to notify me rather than post on my thread, but you've had a vendetta against me for some time it seems.

I would love to chat about it at comic art con if you're attending.

I don't have a vendetta against you at all, but I find it very peculiar how this played out.

I understand that you may have forgotten to mention a missing piece from the interior (even though you JUST purchased the book a week ago), but you were asked straight out if the book was complete and your reply seemed very disingenuous.

The Cap interior is 100% complete?

Yes. Double checked it a few times as the page counts are different in these WW2 books.

There's no "forgetting" there. You "double checked it a few times". (shrug)

Whenever I sell a book that is pieced together I fully disclose the book as such. As I did with the action 23 that was posted last week. What I do not do is trim, color touch or restore books. If there is primitave resto I can remove without causing harm, that I will do. In case of this s cap, I fully disclosed the piece was removed. I did miss the missing piece in the interior. There was a better way to notify me rather than post on my thread, but you've had a vendetta against me for some time it seems.

Ankur,

I posted that you forgot to put a return policy in your thread. That's what the mods have told us to do when a seller is violating the rules of the forum. You'll find that's all I've posted in your thread.

This is a pattern with you. You aren't the victim. There are no vendettas against you. Your actions and your behavior raised valid, specific, and earnest questions.

The fact that you bought a book from Heritage a week or so ago, that was graded an apparent 1.5, removed a patch on the back cover, list it back up for sale as a now unrestored book, but still a 1.5, failed to disclose (until pressed and cornered) that there was also a chunk out of an interior page, claiming it was 100% complete on the interior, going so far as to say you went page by page, when you knew or should have known it wasn't complete isn't someone doing something TO YOU.

These are your actions. Rounding off the corners of the description, gilding the lily, disclosing some things but leaving out others. Can you really say that calling this book "complete" more than once is not deceptive? Flat out.

Then you bristle when people call your actions into question? That's a vendetta against you? Really? You're the victim here? lol

You want to talk it over at Comic Art Con? lol What explanation will you have for how you sold the Cap #74 with the moving target of a grade, or how you tried to sell this book the way you did? And these are the first two issues you've had, is it? Never had problems with artists alley creators? Any issues when doing art deals with other collectors or dealers? You think you can convince me that poor you is just the victim of multiple, repeated, coincidental, circumstance?

I assume all of those problems are someone else's fault, right? Not your actions? Take a look at all these issues and questions that pop up and you'll find the common denominator isn't anyone other than you and the choices you've made.

lol Clearly you can't be trusted. I avoid your sales threads and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Wow! What a coincidence....that does seem to be happening right NOW!

Here's how the book was described just week or so ago....

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/captain-america-comics-36-timely-1944-condition-apparent-fr-gd/a/121606-11301.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

read especially the "a moderate-sized piece is missing from an interior page"

But now the book is 100% "Complete"

It's a MIRACLE!!!!

zaqhn.jpg

Perhaps he meant that the piece is completely missing? (shrug):shy:

I don't have a vendetta against you at all, but I find it very peculiar how this played out.

I understand that you may have forgotten to mention a missing piece from the interior (even though you JUST purchased the book a week ago), but you were asked straight out if the book was complete and your reply seemed very disingenuous.

Yes. Double checked it a few times as the page counts are different in these WW2 books.

This was my first thought as well. This gives the appearance of deception even if none was intended.

Is there a phils outside comic art con ? (shrug)

This was my first thought as well. This gives the appearance of deception even if none was intended.

add that to the fact that any buyer would obviously read the heritage listing very closely if they were buying, and it was just a week ago...although I don't know the specifics of the heritage purchase. Maybe the OP bought from the Heritage buyer this week without disclosure of the defect, and he might have some recourse for a return.

add that to the fact that any buyer would obviously read the heritage listing very closely if they were buying, and it was just a week ago...although I don't know the specifics of the heritage purchase. Maybe the OP bought from the Heritage buyer this week without disclosure of the defect, and he might have some recourse for a return.

It is clearly mentioned in the description of the Heritage Auction.

Captain America Comics #36 (Timely, 1944) Condition: Apparent FR/GD. Hitler, Goering, and Goebbels cover by Syd Shores. Human Torch backup story. AL Bellman art. Restoration includes a moderate-sized piece missing from the back cover has been replaced, a moderate-sized piece is missing from an interior page, moderate tape repairs. Overstreet 2015 GD 2.0 value = $541.

Edit; NVM. I see what you are saying. Highly doubtful it changed hands twice within a week.

Edited by Park

lol Clearly you can't be trusted. I avoid your sales threads and I'm sure I'm not alone.

It seems to be a common trend around here that when people are caught doing terrible things that they blame everyone else.

No "whoops, I'm sorry" but lots of "vendettas" and "meet me at the con". lol

It is clearly mentioned in the description of the Heritage Auction.

Captain America Comics #36 (Timely, 1944) Condition: Apparent FR/GD. Hitler, Goering, and Goebbels cover by Syd Shores. Human Torch backup story. AL Bellman art. Restoration includes a moderate-sized piece missing from the back cover has been replaced, a moderate-sized piece is missing from an interior page, moderate tape repairs. Overstreet 2015 GD 2.0 value = $541.

Edit; NVM. I see what you are saying. Highly doubtful it changed hands twice within a week.

yah, i'm saying that's his best defense, provided of course that its the truth.