• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

There are many books on GPA with very old data. It's a nice service, but certainly not perfect. It's probably better for modern or newer than GA books with lots of sales.

People should look in more than 1 place before buying.

As for sales without pictures and then raising the price for a picture...I'd boycott by not buying from them.

People forget that they can do that here...just don't buy from people who do weird stuff. That would be the quickest way to get them to stop doing it

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but after all the years of being here and all the shenanigans, I honestly feel like buyers should just do whatever due diligence they are going to do, and either buy or don't buy. What the other guy paid for his copy should have no bearing on anything.

If every error of omission leads to the villagers lighting the torches, where does it all end? Doesn't the buyer either want it at the price, or he doesn't? Doesn't the buyer bear some responsibility to check the public data?

I'm not talking about fraud or active misleading. Just not being "comprehensive" in your info.

Don't mind me, it's beautiful weather, but taxes have me . . . :pullhair:

Go pop open a Stroh's and put a sock in it. :blahblah:

translation = STFU

And how much did you pay for that Hulk 181 you have listed?

I would never say that to Sean. lol He gets the Stroh's reference. Hope I run into you guys in Chicago this year. hm

Aggressive Posting!!!!

giphy.gif

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but after all the years of being here and all the shenanigans, I honestly feel like buyers should just do whatever due diligence they are going to do, and either buy or don't buy. What the other guy paid for his copy should have no bearing on anything.

If every error of omission leads to the villagers lighting the torches, where does it all end? Doesn't the buyer either want it at the price, or he doesn't? Doesn't the buyer bear some responsibility to check the public data?

I'm not talking about fraud or active misleading. Just not being "comprehensive" in your info.

Go pop open a Stroh's and put a sock in it. :blahblah:

translation = STFU

And how much did you pay for that Hulk 181 you have listed?

:shrug:

I paid what the seller was asking

I would never say that to Sean. lol He gets the Stroh's reference. Hope I run into you guys in Chicago this year. hm

Aggressive Posting!!!!

giphy.gif

lol I'm turning myself in to local law enforcement.

Here was the case I was particularly thinking of (although I've seen a number of similar cases). I'm masking some of the details, because I'm interested in the wider discussion rather than calling out this particular seller:

"There is very little Gpa recorded sales data on this book.

Last recorded Gpa sales for a Cgc x.x [grade his book is] was in 2008 for $x,xxx

2013 for $x,xxx and a x.x [half grade lower than his book] in 2014 for $x,xxx

Based on the last Gpa recorded sales I feel I have

priced this comic for a fast sale at a very fair price!"

He had bought the book in a CLink auction about a month before for about $650 less than his asking price and about $1,800 below the seemingly most relevant GPA number he quoted -- the 2014 price for a copy of the book a half grade lower.

The Oks still Ok with it and the not Oks still not Ok with it?

Here was the case I was particularly thinking of (although I've seen a number of similar cases). I'm masking some of the details, because I'm interested in the wider discussion rather than calling out this particular seller:

Last recorded Gpa sales for a Cgc x.x [grade his book is] was in 2008 for $x,xxx

He had bought the book in a CLink auction about a month before for about $650 less than his asking price and about $1,800 below the seemingly most relevant GPA number he quoted -- the 2014 price for a copy of the book a half grade lower.

Still an ok from this noob.

Maybe I should state my own view: I have nothing whatever against flipping. The deceptive part of this approach to me is that quoting GPA is presumably meant to provide potential buyers with some insight into FMV.

A price paid in a CLink auction -- rather than, say, a price paid in a private deal -- seems like a better indication of FMV than somewhat dated GPA data.

Granted, buyers ought to be able to do their own research, particularly when, as here, the CLink sale was recent enough to still be on their site. But the approach seems dodgy to me and I would be reluctant to buy from a seller who uses it.

Edited by Sqeggs

Not trolling at all. Only commenting on sales threads that I would be genuinely interested in purchasing.

Sorry if the people running them take offense to someone publicly saying what others potentially are thinking.

It is the essence of good manners that one is precisely NOT thinking out loud!

It is also in the essense of good manners to not intentionally try to rip off people :)

I bet eBay just sends you into quite the tizzy.

-slym

when something is priced 200% above market value, then I have no qualms about posting about it publicly, unless the forum rules say that I shouldn't.

Which they do. Which has been pointed out to you already.

/story

-slym

Still an ok from this noob.

My opinion is also unchanged. I realize it may seem like a technicality, but for me if the GPA has been otherwise cited accurately, and the only omission is the seller's recent win, one can argue that the seller's good fortune is the anomaly.

Aside from the seller's auction win, is there any other reason to believe values have fallen off so drastically? I realize this begs the question, and could be a slippery slope into misrepresentation. It could be depending upon the case, but not always or necessarily.

Any given sale, whether auction or private deal, is not indicative of anything by itself. I'm sure many here has been through this experience at least once: turned down solid cash offers in favour of rolling the dice at auction, and getting crushed.

If you are going to cite data cite it correctly.

If you are going to make statements in your sales thread, make sure they are accurate.

BUT

The buyer cant expect the seller to do all the work.

Here's a scenario I've seen sometimes...

Buyer lists his GA 6.0 whatever for GPA price saying "not a lot of sales... one sale in grade in last 24 months, so I'm listing it for that" whatver...

what he doesn't mention is that a half grade higher (6.5) just sold on HA (and is listed in GPA) for for 30% less that the GPA record for his grade (which would make one think the market is correcting downward on his book).

Does he have to disclose the market sales of all of the grades around his book?

I say no. State the GPA info for your book in your grade and just leave it at that. No need to song and dance it, just let the book sell itself.

Along those same lines (of state what you state accurately) I remember someone asking a price and saying they were asking the same price that it was so to them (I believe from Gator, though it might have been cheetah)..

and then Gator showed up and just posted a :taptaptap: or maybe it was a :baiting:

and suddenly the guy dropped his price $200 or something.

apparently he "misrememberd" his purchase prices...

This is the exact same case I had alluded to earlier - originally, the seller posted only the 2008 data. This was the highest price.

Only after being queried was the 2013 and 2014 data posted.

Just in case someone was wondering how the 2008 data was the highest price, the book in question was a Disney/Dell which had dropped sharply in price over the years.

I agree. Especially about the taxes. :)

I won't buy anything without due diligence, whether here or elsewhere. For me, that means asking questions, getting clear photos of the front and back of the book, checking on recent closed sale data, etc.

If that means I miss out on a few books...oh well...I think I'll survive.

The community aspect here is wonderful. But that doesn't mean that buyers (and increasingly flippers) should be absolved of their own responsibility in a transaction. Sometimes fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

I agree. Especially about the taxes. :)

I won't buy anything without due diligence, whether here or elsewhere. For me, that means asking questions, getting clear photos of the front and back of the book, checking on recent closed sale data, etc.

If that means I miss out on a few books...oh well...I think I'll survive.

The community aspect here is wonderful. But that doesn't mean that buyers (and increasingly flippers) should be absolved of their own responsibility in a transaction. Sometimes fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

I agree as well. Both taxes and book prices. Some of what I used to collect, GPA was little help. I relied on info from all selling venues, combined with what I felt the book was worth. If I still wasn't sure, I would ask others for opinions. I bet some of those overpriced, ebay BIN books are still listed, all these years later. :insane:

If you are going to cite data cite it correctly.

If you are going to make statements in your sales thread, make sure they are accurate.

BUT

The buyer cant expect the seller to do all the work.

Here's a scenario I've seen sometimes...

Buyer lists his GA 6.0 whatever for GPA price saying "not a lot of sales... one sale in grade in last 24 months, so I'm listing it for that" whatver...

what he doesn't mention is that a half grade higher (6.5) just sold on HA (and is listed in GPA) for for 30% less that the GPA record for his grade (which would make one think the market is correcting downward on his book).

Does he have to disclose the market sales of all of the grades around his book?

I say no. State the GPA info for your book in your grade and just leave it at that. No need to song and dance it, just let the book sell itself.

I can see your point (and Robert's) that as long as you quote GPA accurately, there is no problem. I would say, though, that if you know there is a recent CLink sale at a much lower price or other recent sales in higher grades at lower prices, then I think quoting GPA becomes questionable.

After all, what's the point of quoting GPA in a sales thread? Presumably the point is to argue that the GPA values quoted reflect current FMV in order to put your asking price in context. If, in fact, you know that GPA does not accurately reflect current FMV, then I think the more forthright approach is to avoid quoting it.

Maybe I should state my own view: I have nothing whatever against flipping. The deceptive part of this approach to me is that quoting GPA is presumably meant to provide potential buyers with some insight into FMV.

A price paid in a CLink auction -- rather than, say, a price paid in a private deal -- seems like a better indication of FMV than somewhat dated GPA data.

Granted, buyers ought to be able to do their own research, particularly when, as here, the CLink sale was recent enough to still be on their site. But the approach seems dodgy to me and I would be reluctant to buy from a seller who uses it.

I am still okay with it as well. In fact I am rather impressed with the great deal the seller got. When someone quotes GPA on a book I am interested in, I go look it up for myself anyway. He did provide buyers with SOME insight but if you are going to accept a GPA number you should know what goes into that number. GPA has more than one number for each book for a reason and one source of data is always a horrible place to stop when more data is available. Each person can use the data to their own satisfaction (I think I will look for a good opportunity to quote a mode on a book instead of a mean).