• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I like the pre-sale threads Roy does, he shows the book pre-slabbed, so you have an idea of what you are buying

BTW, I also like the way Roy approaches this = a raw pic works well.

Thanks, gang.

While I may have had the odd book for sale without a posted scan if I need a quick Paypal top up, I generally won't sell a book unless I am sure the book will be back in hand within 24 hours and can provide a pic. My stuff generally gets shipped back Fed Ex overnight and I start my sales threads after my books have been shipped back to me and are en route.

Now, you can run into problems with pre-sale threads. I once had a book get damaged on it's way back and had to cancel a sale, but I just take that as the cost of doing business as a book can get damaged during shipping at any time. Even on it's way to it's final destination.

I agree that sales threads without pics are not optimal and the 'pending scan' way is not my preferred way but as long as they have a return policy in place and allow people to back out of sales if they don't like the scans, it's a reasonable way for the free market to work whether you like it or not.

Hi everyone.

I put my thread on discount and still got requested for a better offer via PM. I totaled up the items and then deducted an additional 5 bucks off. But honestly, it is sitting well with me. 30% isn't enough?

No other action on my thread and no reply to the PM today. I retracted my offer via PM this morning and closed my thread today. Which is what I stated in my thread previously.

Of course nothing is cut and dry, the buyer hasn't read the first email with the offer. I just don't want to have to defend my actions on this forum later on. I want to make sure that what I did is OK with the community.

Are there any rules on a seller retracting an offer?

Thanks

I don't think there's any problem with retracting an offer myself or even changing the parameters of an offer if a response hasn't been made.

I always assumed that is what this PL member was trying to do with his second PM...but you can't fight City Hall.

:D

I think by documenting it here you're covering your arse well enough.

(thumbs u

Hi everyone.

I put my thread on discount and still got requested for a better offer via PM. I totaled up the items and then deducted an additional 5 bucks off. But honestly, it is sitting well with me. 30% isn't enough?

No other action on my thread and no reply to the PM today. I retracted my offer via PM this morning and closed my thread today. Which is what I stated in my thread previously.

Of course nothing is cut and dry, the buyer hasn't read the first email with the offer. I just don't want to have to defend my actions on this forum later on. I want to make sure that what I did is OK with the community.

Thanks

Sounds fine to me. No offer and acceptance = no contract.

Hi everyone.

Thanks

You can retract a non-accepted offer at any time without any repercussions. :foryou: .

I like the pre-sale threads Roy does, he shows the book pre-slabbed, so you have an idea of what you are buying

BTW, I also like the way Roy approaches this = a raw pic works well.

Thanks, gang.

While I may have had the odd book for sale without a posted scan if I need a quick Paypal top up, I generally won't sell a book unless I am sure the book will be back in hand within 24 hours and can provide a pic. My stuff generally gets shipped back Fed Ex overnight and I start my sales threads after my books have been shipped back to me and are en route.

Now, you can run into problems with pre-sale threads. I once had a book get damaged on it's way back and had to cancel a sale, but I just take that as the cost of doing business as a book can get damaged during shipping at any time. Even on it's way to it's final destination.

I agree that sales threads without pics are not optimal and the 'pending scan' way is not my preferred way but as long as they have a return policy in place and allow people to back out of sales if they don't like the scans, it's a reasonable way for the free market to work whether you like it or not.

If you don't mind, can you give me an idea of the benefits of doing a presale without pictures or having the books in hand? Especially when you intend to add pictures eventually? I certainly believe anyone/everyone has the right to do so, but I'm having a tough time seeing the seller's economic benefits outweighing the potential risks (broken slab, bad slabbing, bad slab label, miscentered book placement), shipping delays or lost items, frustrating customers who prefer to see pictures first.

Are there certain days of the week on the boards that get more action? Is getting paid one or two days earlier that much of a benefit (that's the biggest benefit I see)? Is a buying frenzy really created by the anticipation of pictures? I know in some cases a person would want to be the first to market, but for most older books does that matter? Or are there other ancillary benefits that I'm not really seeing right now.

And for the seller, there might be a perfectly adequate book claimed 'pending scan' that would have sold just fine with a few interested buyers, but because it was claimed, the other interested buyers may not come back to the thread to check on it again when the pic is posted and the original buyer rejects it, or the rejection causes the comic to lose value in the eyes of other customers. You lost those potential customers.

I guess I see nothing obvious added to my bottom line, but I do see additional risks of unhappy or lost customers added.

Of course the answer may an integral proprietary secret that others have figured out that I haven't, and it somehow does boost the bottom line in the long run, but I currently don't see it.

Edited by Revat

Speaking of price disclosure, any thoughts on this one?

I've seen people snag a book on CLink at an apparently well below FMV price and promptly list it for sale on the board at a higher price. No problem so far, but sometimes the seller quotes GPA to show how the price he is asking is at FMV or below.

Since CLink doesn't report prices to GPA, GPA will be missing the most relevant price info -- namely, the price at which this very copy has just sold.

Ok sales strategy? Kinda dodgy? Never buy from a guy who would do this dodgy? hm

I've seen people snag a book on CLink at an apparently well below FMV price and promptly list it for sale on the board at a higher price. No problem so far, but sometimes the seller quotes GPA to show how the price he asking is at FMV or below.

Since CLink doesn't report prices to GPA, GPA will be missing the most relevant price info -- namely, the price at which this very copy has just sold.

Ok sales strategy? Kinda dodgy? Never buy from a guy who would do this dodgy? hm

Not OK. That's a classic example of using GPA to deceive rather than inform.

Private sales are by their very nature private and don't need to be disclosed. CLink, being a public auction is very different as it is the type of data that GPA is supposed to collect. A recent CLink win followed by a self-serving GPA analysis is not cool.

I've seen people snag a book on CLink at an apparently well below FMV price and promptly list it for sale on the board at a higher price. No problem so far, but sometimes the seller quotes GPA to show how the price he asking is at FMV or below.

Private sales are by their very nature private and don't need to be disclosed. CLink, being a public auction is very different as it is the type of data that GPA is supposed to collect. A recent CLink win followed by a self-serving GPA analysis is not cool.

I agree. However, if you point it out in the thread, you get yelled at for Krapping. Usually, a seller like this will ignore any PM's on the topic since he already knows what he is doing. It's not as bad if the seller doesn't quote GPA, just list a price without the commentary.

I agree. However, if you point it out in the thread, you get yelled at for Krapping. Usually, a seller like this will ignore any PM's on the topic since he already knows what he is doing. It's not as bad if the seller doesn't quote GPA, just list a price without the commentary.

I could care less and would have no issue buying from a seller that employs this tactic. It's up to the buyer to be informed and conduct proper due diligence. There are outliers in pricing all over the place. Good for him/her if they can make a quick buck on a flip.

but can you be sure it was the same auction winner? What if it was a buyer in good faith who is now trying to sell? I would say you shouldn't accuse someone unless you have evidence. Does that mean some shadier people might get one over on the public? Maybe. But I'd rather have someone quote TRUE (if somewhat incomplete) data to make a sale rather than falsely accuse someone of being shady. Those types of accusations can stick with a person for a long time, whether they're guilty or not.

For example, lets say it takes GPA twenty days to update.

GPA Day 0 (right before purchase): $1000

Heritage Purchase price on Day 0: $700. Assume MCS is the buyer, they're also based in Texas, they pick it up on Day 2: They already had a big spender regular buyer in mind, they contact him on Day 3, and sell it for $900 (no pitch by MCS, but the guy is savvy enough to look it GPA on his own).

The book takes a week to get to him (pays for faster shipping), so we're around

12 days.

A few days later, the buyer in good faith gets fired or sees and upgradeable copy, and just wants to get his money back, $900, which is under current GPA.

So on day 15/20 of he posts here the book for $900, claiming that its $100 less than GPA. Is he wrong? Is he lying? Should you accuse him of being shady without proof?

Or let say the same scenario but ANOTHER similar book sold for $1300 on ebay yesterday, so GPA averages out to be the same thing. Do I have to disclose what I paid for the book even though GPA will technically be the same?

I'm not defending people who act shady. I'm saying before anyone publicly accuses anyone of manipulating the facts or acting dishonest or disingenuous, one better make dam sure they have all of the facts.

Edited by Revat

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but after all the years of being here and all the shenanigans, I honestly feel like buyers should just do whatever due diligence they are going to do, and either buy or don't buy. What the other guy paid for his copy should have no bearing on anything.

If every error of omission leads to the villagers lighting the torches, where does it all end? Doesn't the buyer either want it at the price, or he doesn't? Doesn't the buyer bear some responsibility to check the public data?

I'm not talking about fraud or active misleading. Just not being "comprehensive" in your info.

Don't mind me, it's beautiful weather, but taxes have me . . . :pullhair:

I could care less and would have no issue buying from a seller that employs this tactic. It's up to the buyer to be informed and conduct proper due diligence. There are outliers in pricing all over the place. Good for him/her if they can make a quick buck on a flip.

If I understand the original scenario properly, I'm not sure I would be so upset about it either, if I understand this to mean the following, for example:

1) Seller gets lucky at Clink auction and picks up say Hulk 181 at several hundred dollars less than current GPA averages

2) Seller turns around and sells here at a bit lower than GPA average since he's still going to make a good buck.

3) Seller quotes straight GPA averages otherwise honestly, just without mention of his own last grab on Clink

If that is the scenario it is difficult to judge, because customarily at no time and in no way is a seller obliged to confess his or her own purchase price. 2c

If I understand the original scenario properly, I'm not sure I would be so upset about it either, if I understand this to mean the following, for example:

1) Seller gets lucky at Clink auction and picks up say Hulk 181 at several hundred dollars less than current GPA averages

2) Seller turns around and sells here at a bit lower than GPA average since he's still going to make a good buck.

3) Seller quotes straight GPA averages otherwise honestly, just without mention of his own last grab on Clink

If that is the scenario it is difficult to judge, because customarily at no time and in no way is a seller obliged to confess his or her own purchase price. 2c

Exactly how I see it.

Given the hypothetical of someone buying from Clink and then selling here citing GPA data, I have to say I agree with Sean.

This isn't GPA manipulation. It's simply citing GPA. For the markets GPA monitors, that is correct.

If he were to state he's speaking for the entire market (Heritage, CLink, CC, Ebay, Private Sales, Convention sales, Store Sales, etc) and excluded the Clink sale then you've got a problem.

Also if he were to cite all the GPA sales that help his asking price and hides the ones that hurt or knowingly excludes or doctors GPA data in some other way to polish the apple then you've got GPA manipulation. If the GPA data is cited in full and he doesn't make a statement that he's speaking for the entire comic market outside of GPA when he cites that data it's not really anything dishonest.

And I am the first one here to jump on someone who's dishonest, so I hope you'll all consider the source of this opinion. :foryou:

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but after all the years of being here and all the shenanigans, I honestly feel like buyers should just do whatever due diligence they are going to do, and either buy or don't buy. What the other guy paid for his copy should have no bearing on anything.

If every error of omission leads to the villagers lighting the torches, where does it all end? Doesn't the buyer either want it at the price, or he doesn't? Doesn't the buyer bear some responsibility to check the public data?

I'm not talking about fraud or active misleading. Just not being "comprehensive" in your info.

Don't mind me, it's beautiful weather, but taxes have me . . . :pullhair:

Go pop open a Stroh's and put a sock in it. :blahblah:

translation = STFU