• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

It's my opinion that if you can't follow a few simple rules at this free place to sell, take the books to ebay. 

To be honest, the first thing I thought when I saw David listing these Copper books, it was that it was a simple mistake.
And since there was the probation discussion going on, I did not want to annoy him by pointing that out.
But yes, there should be more care in listing in the appropriate areas.

Actually I believe Copper should be "split in two" (at least as far Marvel goes): there are a number of "Copper" books falling between what I consider "the end of the Marvel age", while others can safely fall in the "classic" category. David Michelinie's Spider-Man, early New Mutants and early X-Factor, early Copper Avengers, Power Pack, etc.

Edited by vaillant

18 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Hey, you're the one misconstruing "casual oversight" as "total disregard". Sorry, for taking your specific language as personal. How about you, oh I dunno, ask first and assume later?

How about being more diligent and taking care of what, when, how, where, and why, and being respectful to the board by doing so...? 

Carelessness is disrespect. 

11 hours ago, vaillant said:

To be honest, the first thing I thought when I saw David listing these Copper books, it was that it was a simple mistake.
And since there was the probation discussion going on, I did not want to annoy him by pointing that out.
But yes, there should be more care in listing in the appropriate areas.

Actually I believe Copper should be "split in two" (at least as far Marvel goes): there are a number of "Copper" books falling between what I consider "the end of the Marvel age", while others can safely fall in the "classic" category. David Michelinie's Spider-Man, early New Mutants and early X-Factor, early Copper Avengers, Power Pack, etc.

Someone pointing it out would have been the thoughtful thing to do. Not aiming that at you, just speaking generally. When people instead assume the worst and make oblique comments about you, then point a comment at you, followed by a failure to admit their own blame while further faulting you for taking it personally: that's just a remarkable amount of stupid, and in this case stubbornness. Not surprising coming from jsilverjanet. I started avoiding him after seeing some of his behavior in the mod action thread and elsewhere. It's low on the list of things to worry about. Usually, I just steer clear of the people who get into that. That's why I'm not terribly worried about burning bridges with people I avoided anyhow. Generally, I'm pretty easy going, but I can also be impatient and short-tempered at times. Sometimes, the stupid is just too much.

But hey, whatever. My mommy says I'm a good boy, so that's good enough for me. :p

To change to a less flamey topic, I've been curious about seeing G/S/B change over time. The first two years I was here, there was silver age stuff all over the place, bronze, too. Maybe it was the movie hype. Lately, I see so much less silver age and so much more golden age. It's great. I love it. It's educational for me as I'm new to golden age and enjoying picking up books. Is this a trend others see? What do you think accounts for the shift here?

And are golden age collectors less inclined to slabs? I see so many unslabbed GA books trade hands to eager buyers.

15 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Someone pointing it out would have been the thoughtful thing to do. Not aiming that at you, just speaking generally. When people instead assume the worst and make oblique comments about you, then point a comment at you, followed by a failure to admit their own blame while further faulting you for taking it personally: that's just a remarkable amount of stupid, and in this case stubbornness. Not surprising coming from jsilverjanet. I started avoiding him after seeing some of his behavior in the mod action thread and elsewhere. It's low on the list of things to worry about. Usually, I just steer clear of the people who get into that. That's why I'm not terribly worried about burning bridges with people I avoided anyhow. Generally, I'm pretty easy going, but I can also be impatient and short-tempered at times. Sometimes, the stupid is just too much.

But hey, whatever. My mommy says I'm a good boy, so that's good enough for me. :p

Hector is a good guy David, he just likes to troll a bit (like others). Like everyone else, you have got to get to know him. :)
I guess that, unfortuntaely, most of the conflict around the probation transaction generated from the fact there is little knowledge of each other character.

It’s very understandable that unpleasant situations put us to trial and bring out not-so-pleasant traits of our character, what’s important is to get past them.
Said this, I will bug you if you list Copper books once again in GA/SA/BA just to be sure… :D

15 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

To change to a less flamey topic, I've been curious about seeing G/S/B change over time. The first two years I was here, there was silver age stuff all over the place, bronze, too. Maybe it was the movie hype. Lately, I see so much less silver age and so much more golden age. It's great. I love it. It's educational for me as I'm new to golden age and enjoying picking up books. Is this a trend others see? What do you think accounts for the shift here?

And are golden age collectors less inclined to slabs? I see so many unslabbed GA books trade hands to eager buyers.

Actually, early when I joined (in 2012) I was looking just for Golden Age, as it was a total discovery for me.
For a while there was a great ratio of GA vs SA/BA threads, then recently it mostly shifted to SA/BA due to the silly movies.

Recently there is GA, but lots of PCH, GGA, 1950s stuff that I care less about (although there are many interesting things in any era).

1 minute ago, Harry Lime said:

For the purposes of selling on the boards; when is the Copper Age supposed to start?

Not universally acknowledged, but in the early 1980s.
Personally, for Marvel I consider the BA pretty much gone as early as 1980-81, but in general the Copper age is considered to be starting in the mid-1980s, referring to events like the publication of Dark Knight or Watchmen, independent publishers or the birth graphic novels.

1 minute ago, vaillant said:

Not universally acknowledged, but in the early 1980s.
Personally, for Marvel I consider the BA pretty much gone as early as 1980-81, but in general the Copper age is considered to be starting in the mid-1980s, referring to events like the publication of Dark Knight or Watchmen, independent publishers or the birth graphic novels.

Yeah, I did some googling and find time periods from after the neolithic but before the bronze age and much more specifically, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984 & 1985. I thought there might have been an agreed upon date for selling on the boards (to avoid the wrath of the moderator's CP) but it might be just as grey an area here as in the wider webs.