• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

And very good looking.  Don't leave out that part.

I thought you gang already knew how great looking and humble I was...but i'm glad you brought it up... :foryou:

I really think pictures should have to be posted in the thread

this is awful imo, though pretty good prices

On 6/7/2017 at 3:09 AM, revat said:

I really think pictures should have to be posted in the thread

this is awful imo, though pretty good prices

Well, the pictures are all in the big link, so I don't really see the problem personally. I don't have a dog in the fight, but curious as to why it bothers you? Could be instructive!

4 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Well, the pictures are all in the big link, so I don't really see the problem personally. I don't have a dog in the fight, but curious as to why it bothers you? Could be instructive!

It's not gonna ruin my day or anything, but 

1. I've always interpreted the rules as not allowing having to click to another website. Not just because of convenience, but because it's not always safe to click.  Moderators don't appear to share my interpretation of the rule.

2. I prefer to see a comic, know what I'm looking at, and the price all at the same time in the same place.  It's not that convenient on my phone to scroll and toggle back and forth.

3. This one to me is worse because if I see one I like in the list I still have to search through a zillion pictures as opposed to clicking just one link for that pic. Then by then I forgot the price or get distracted by another cool comic that I now have to go look up the price. 

Like I said, it's not a great burden, but it feels it's like going to a grocery store where they hand you a price list and there's no prices posted by the items and you just have to keep looking items up.

not a travesty by any stretch, and apparently not in violation of the rules, just seems to unnecessarily inconvenience potential customers 

6 hours ago, revat said:

It's not gonna ruin my day or anything, but 

1. I've always interpreted the rules as not allowing having to click to another website. Not just because of convenience, but because it's not always safe to click.  Moderators don't appear to share my interpretation of the rule.

2. I prefer to see a comic, know what I'm looking at, and the price all at the same time in the same place.  It's not that convenient on my phone to scroll and toggle back and forth.

3. This one to me is worse because if I see one I like in the list I still have to search through a zillion pictures as opposed to clicking just one link for that pic. Then by then I forgot the price or get distracted by another cool comic that I now have to go look up the price. 

Like I said, it's not a great burden, but it feels it's like going to a grocery store where they hand you a price list and there's no prices posted by the items and you just have to keep looking items up.

not a travesty by any stretch, and apparently not in violation of the rules, just seems to unnecessarily inconvenience potential customers 

I got ya. It doesn't really bother me, but I see what you're saying. Thanks for the input!

Well, this is an interesting thread. hm

1) Grading is subjective, but the grade on this book is VF to Mint.  That's ... a heck of a lot of subjectivity possible there.

2) But I can look at the scan and judge myself ... but there's no scan in the listing.  And to get one, I have to send a total stranger my email address, not a PM apparently (but a PM to give them my email for a scan, even though you can send a scan in the PM).

3) And despite grading being "subjective", there's no returns accepted by the seller. :ohnoez:

Where can I get in line?

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

If something is presumably pressable to a higher grade, we price it at the higher grade, right? 

you can price it whatever you want but i think it is a slippery slope to price high because of an assumption a press will improve the grade, besides would you figure in the cost to press for the buyer?

5 hours ago, telerites said:

you can price it whatever you want but i think it is a slippery slope to price high because of an assumption a press will improve the grade, besides would you figure in the cost to press for the buyer?

I agree, and you would think that, statistically speaking, most pressings would not improve a grade, except at the very high grades, where a single defect could change the outcome. In principle the lower grade tiers, imo up to about 8.0, can allow a fair amount of various defects to group within a grade tier. The optimistic assumption of most sales pitches is that if the current grade is X that X-1 defect means a higher grade, whereas depending upon the starting grade, any number of pressable defects could be removed without changing the starting grade. There are also a number of grade tiers where a few non-pressable defects will predetermine the grade, and make the removal of pressable defects irrelevant to the grade. 2c

Ya, I just sent a book off for pressing that I think will gain in appearance, but not in grade, which for that book for me is perfectly fine.

This issue also calls for the question: if a press will do that much good and bring some green, green profit, why not do it yourself? For high-value books, the pay off can be worth the money put in.