• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Harry Lime said:
3 hours ago, vaillant said:

Not universally acknowledged, but in the early 1980s.
Personally, for Marvel I consider the BA pretty much gone as early as 1980-81, but in general the Copper age is considered to be starting in the mid-1980s, referring to events like the publication of Dark Knight or Watchmen, independent publishers or the birth graphic novels.

Yeah, I did some googling and find time periods from after the neolithic but before the bronze age and much more specifically, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984 & 1985. I thought there might have been an agreed upon date for selling on the boards (to avoid the wrath of the moderator's CP) but it might be just as grey an area here as in the wider webs. 

To the best of my knowledge there is no consensus, but I have been using 1984 as the cutoff year, I will post books up to and including 1984 in the G/S/B forum but not 1985 and beyond. I agree with Claudio that ultimately it should be fixed to a date based on significant creative works that signal a new age, but that too is usually debated. 2c

1 hour ago, crassus said:

To the best of my knowledge there is no consensus, but I have been using 1984 as the cutoff year, I will post books up to and including 1984 in the G/S/B forum but not 1985 and beyond. I agree with Claudio that ultimately it should be fixed to a date based on significant creative works that signal a new age, but that too is usually debated. 2c

I think the debate is unavoidable as the cutoff year and the categorizations can’t be applied across the different artistic/editorial approaches. For example, the innovation of making a "novel" like Watchmen it is of little relevance for the Marvel age, because it falls outside the poetic scope which originated it. The vision of the superhero is different: with DC you did not have a clearly defined ethic and "world view" as you had with Marvel (also called "continuity", but the term has become ambiguous), so by then you could basically generate "interpretations" in the vein of "adult" novels. The british authors were heavily responsible for this as well.
Also, the mid-1980s were a very important moment for Disney comics with Gladstone (which went fully global and started to consider the essential non-US productions), and independent publishers were also a very important element, but as far as Marvel is involved, my impression is that proper changes came out of reasons that were more commercial in nature, and are closely associated with Stan leaving for California and the Jim Shooter tenure as Editor in Chief. Most changes overlooked the essence which made the Marvel age unique, and little by little the coordination was lost. In this sense, Miller's Daredevil is pretty emblematic.

On 7/4/2017 at 10:14 AM, vaillant said:

Actually, early when I joined (in 2012) I was looking just for Golden Age, as it was a total discovery for me.
For a while there was a great ratio of GA vs SA/BA threads, then recently it mostly shifted to SA/BA due to the silly movies.

Recently there is GA, but lots of PCH, GGA, 1950s stuff that I care less about (although there are many interesting things in any era).

So who's been around a long time? Were there cycles prior to what vaillant is discussing? 

14 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

So who's been around a long time? Were there cycles prior to what vaillant is discussing? 

Would make a good thread topic.  When I first got here it was all about getting the highest graded copy and people like Danny were all over the place trying to get hard to find copies in 9.8.  You have to remember the sales thread area was a fraction of what it is today with most of the activity coming in quick batches and then it being kind of dead for awhile.  The specifics get lost in time but I do remember killer sales threads that lasted all night and October threads that got heated when 7 people kept trying to grab each book.  Killer books have always been in demand and of course the sales threads have always concentrated on the keys but nothing like the last 5 years.  I find the sales threads have now morphed into Golden Age books in the Golden/Silver/Bronze section and SS books dominate the copper/modern section.  People came here because they did not want to sell on E-Bay but now the sales threads is a quick stop over for most books on their way to the land of E-Bay.  Things sure have changed - wish I would have paid more attention back then on how good it was. lol

Edited by 1Cool

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Would make a good thread topic.  When I first got here it was all about getting the highest graded copy and people like Danny were all over the place trying to get hard to find copies in 9.8.  You have to remember the sales thread area was a fraction of what it is today with most of the activity coming in quick batches and then it being kind of dead for awhile.  The specifics get lost in time but I do remember killer sales threads that lasted all night and October threads that got heated when 7 people kept trying to grab each book.  Killer books have always been in demand and of course the sales threads have always concentrated on the keys but nothing like the last 5 years.  I find the sales threads have not morphed into Golden Age books in the Golden/Silver/Bronze section and SS books dominate the copper/modern section.  People came here because they did not want to sell on E-Bay but now the sales threads is a quick stop over for most books on their way to the land of E-Bay.  Things sure have changed - wish I would have paid more attention back then on how good it was. lol

You had "in and outs", right Andrew? I don’t remember about you when I joined, but I see you registered in 2006.
I recall that in the first months I was there there were occasional GA sales threads with great stuff, and since the hype was already on SA/BA because of the movies, some stuff went unsold.
It is a question of "the right time": I am still kicking myself for not having bought some GA books which were greatly priced (and some are even pretty sought after now).

3 minutes ago, vaillant said:

You had "in and outs", right Andrew? I don’t remember about you when I joined, but I see you registered in 2006.
I recall that in the first months I was there there were occasional GA sales threads with great stuff, and since the hype was already on SA/BA because of the movies, some stuff went unsold.
It is a question of "the right time": I am still kicking myself for not having bought some GA books which were greatly priced (and some are even pretty sought after now).

Yea - I was mostly out the first 5 or 6 years while I was going thru a divorce.  Some people still are shocked to see I'm a 2006 guy since I was just not around much until 5 - 6 years ago (pretty much when you started).

The sales threads respond to what is being bought at that time.  Sellers know what is selling well on the boards and more of that stuff keeps coming until the people are saturated.  Right now everyone has a ton of Silver/Bronze books so most books in the era just is not selling unless its ultra high grade or cheap/cheap.  The Golden Age buyers seem to love to buy here since they all know each other and buying Golden Age can be tricky on E-Bay due to restoration returns and such.  All I know is I've never seen so many Golden Age sales thread in the whole time I've been here.  Not sure if Golden Age is hot but selling Golden Age on the boards is hot.

Edited by 1Cool

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Yea - I was mostly out the first 5 or 6 years while I was going thru a divorce.  Some people still are shocked to see I'm a 2006 guy since I was just not around much until 5 - 6 years ago (pretty much when you started).

I was one of your first customers! :D A few Michelinie/Byrne Avengers… Great stuff.

1 minute ago, vaillant said:

I was one of your first customers! :D A few Michelinie/Byrne Avengers… Great stuff.

Ahh the good old days . . 5 years ago lol