• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I remember reading a story where a man paid his alimony with buckets of pennies.

Maybe there's some silver coinage in them there buckets.

Yup, back in the 1980s. He actually served 6 days in jail because the judge felt he was "making a mockery of the court". http://whnt.com/2014/08/31/1982-paying-alimony-in-pennies-gets-morgan-county-man-sent-to-jail-for-six-days/

I remember reading a story where a man paid his alimony with buckets of pennies.

Maybe there's some silver coinage in them there buckets.

Yup, back in the 1980s. He actually served 6 days in jail because the judge felt he was "making a mockery of the court". http://whnt.com/2014/08/31/1982-paying-alimony-in-pennies-gets-morgan-county-man-sent-to-jail-for-six-days/

Yeah that's it. Geez that was a while ago. I am old.

didn't samsung pay apple with dumptrucks of coins?

No. That was a joke story (like a "The Onion" piece) that somehow got picked up as fact.

Not The Onion.

Samsung paid off a $1.05 billion judgment awarded to Apple in a patent infringement lawsuit entirely in nickels

It was as it relates to me. Someone shouting "Are there any lawyers around" on the internet, does not a solicitation make.

What if I look in a mirror and ask 3 times?

No. That was a joke story (like a "The Onion" piece) that somehow got picked up as fact.

Larry Flint did that.

This works in a settlement agreement where the type and form of payment is not clearly defined.

This doesn't work in a court ordered or judgement situation where the action can be seen as contempt of court.

Violation of a court order takes many forms, including creating unreasonable or unnecessary impediments to the party the court has ordered payment, production, or discovery.

There was a Tobacco Company case, taught to us in law school, where plaintiffs were to be given free and open access to documents, the documents disclosed were printed in red ink, on black paper, put into a dimly lit room with no ventilation or windows where the noxious odor from their paper/ink of choice would cause nausea to anyone in the room for more than 10 minutes.

Larry Flint did that.

This works in a settlement agreement where the type and form of payment is not clearly defined.

This doesn't work in a court ordered or judgement situation where the action can be seen as contempt of court.

Violation of a court order takes many forms, including creating unreasonable or unnecessary impediments to the party the court has ordered payment, production, or discovery.

There was a Tobacco Company case, taught to us in law school, where plaintiffs were to be given free and open access to documents, the documents disclosed were printed in red ink, on black paper, put into a dimly lit room with no ventilation or windows where the noxious odor from their paper/ink of choice would cause nausea to anyone in the room for more than 10 minutes.

I was in contract negotiations with Samsung in Korea once. They were pissed off because we couldn't give them what they were demanding. We showed up in suits and ties and entered an unheated conference room that had to be 20 degrees below zero. Our counterparts showed up in full hooded parkas. You can't make this stuff up.

Larry Flint did that.

I was in contract negotiations with Samsung in Korea once. They were pissed off because we couldn't give them what they were demanding. We showed up in suits and ties and entered an unheated conference room that had to be 20 degrees below zero. Our counterparts showed up in full hooded parkas. You can't make this stuff up.

In the old days (and sometimes now, albeit rarely) there were stories of putting all the auditors in the small, windowless, crowded, chemical filled, janky janitor's closet in the basement, to make it so unpleasant that they wouldn't want to be there for long and would 'audit' less and quicker.

It is. There was a time when they did quarterly subsets but I think that's over now.

The Overstreet Update was inaugurated in 1982, as a supplement to the "Big Guide." At first, it was semi-annual, 6 months before/after the annual.

It only contained listings from about 1955-present.

Due to the expanding and evolving market, it became quarterly in 1989, and then bi-monthly (with the exception of the traditional April release of the bigt book) in 1990. Finally, it became monthly in 1992/1993, to compete with Wizard.

It failed that competition, and folded in 1997.

So, if someone throws up the :takeit: in my sales thread, after a week or so still hasn't paid, with poor communication and multiple missed promises to "pay tomorrow," then comes back to me saying someone else will be paying and he'd like me to ship to that other person's address, would that be grounds enough to cancel the deal? It'd make me feel pretty sketchy.

Cancel the sale and then fix your avatar.

lol

+ 1,000

But not a single one more.

lol my rant got no response.

Either I'm on a lot of ignore lists or I'm 100% right,

It was dead on. I felt as though maybe your account had been jacked.

yep

Nah it's me.

Do I at least get credit for coining the word "flipportunity" ?

Yes, it's brilliant.

Although the second p might be superfluous.