• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

IH340 has lost a lot of steam than I remember it. People aren't paying for that book anymore. I sold a 9.8 way below GPA because I got zero reasonable offers. I recently lists a 9.6 and again had to sell it on eBay as I got zero interest here.

then again it maybe just me with that book

IH340 has lost a lot of steam than I remember it. People aren't paying for that book anymore. I sold a 9.8 way below GPA because I got zero reasonable offers. I recently lists a 9.6 and again had to sell it on eBay as I got zero interest here.

then again it maybe just me with that book

I gave mine away in PIF, like I do every book right before it becomes hot. lol

In the vain of shadow image above could anyone help to clue me in on what I might be doing wrong in my sales thread? I have a hulk 340 9.4 selling for 5$ less than any on eBay plus I am offering free ship[ping. Technically if another savvy boardie wanted they could buy my book and flip it for a small profit. It is a pretty concise listing with the title , price and grade in bold at the top. At the bottom I give the cert.# and I state money back satisfaction guaranteed. Is there just no demand for this book right now? I did the same with a Punisher #1 a month or so ago and had no luck. Are these copper books of no interest right now?, because I am offering some good deals.

saying it's $5 cheaper than the ones on eBay BIN isnt saying much. Books sit on eBay all the time at inflated prices.

Is it $5 cheaper than the last one that SOLD on ebay?

(GPA says last sale was for $95, and the one before it $65...)

you list it for $65 it'll sell.

In the vain of shadow image above could anyone help to clue me in on what I might be doing wrong in my sales thread? I have a hulk 340 9.4 selling for 5$ less than any on eBay plus I am offering free ship[ping. Technically if another savvy boardie wanted they could buy my book and flip it for a small profit. It is a pretty concise listing with the title , price and grade in bold at the top. At the bottom I give the cert.# and I state money back satisfaction guaranteed. Is there just no demand for this book right now? I did the same with a Punisher #1 a month or so ago and had no luck. Are these copper books of no interest right now?, because I am offering some good deals.

saying it's $5 cheaper than the ones on eBay BIN isnt saying much. Books sit on eBay all the time at inflated prices.

GPA avg is $80 for 90 day, $75 for 12 month. you might be able to get $85 shipped here but not likely $105 + the picture isn't doing you any favors.

The last three sold on eBay:

Aug 18 - $88 (plus $10 shipping)

Aug 24 - $65 (don't know how much shipping was, but it doesn't really matter)

Sep 16 - listed for $109 but a "best offer" was accepted. (Shipping was $12.95)

So, $105 shipped, while not an "outrageous" price, was definitely a bit high and not really a really good deal for someone looking for that book. :(

Especially when you can actually find a 9.6 for $100 or less (plus $10 or so for shipping)! I see four that sold in that range in the last month. (shrug)

Edited by sakaridis

So, $105 shipped, while not an "outrageous" price, was definitely a bit high and not really a really good deal for someone looking for that book. :(

Especially when you can actually find a 9.6 for $100 or less (plus $10 or so for shipping)! I see four that sold in that range in the last month. (shrug)

One of those 9.6 was mine

:preach: :preach: :preach: :preach: :preach:

Back when I first started coming to these boards regularly the sales threads were full of raw books for sale way below ebay prices (usually 30-50%). The sellers were basically looking to unload books for a little bit of money without hassling with ebay fees. The majority of sellers were selling ONLY here.

In the many years since then, the population has shifted to sellers that do both, they sell here and on ebay, but offer a lower price here than they do on ebay. So while yes you can still get good deals here in comparison to ebay, the days of buying with meat on the bone are pretty much gone. Occasionally you can buy in bulk from someone that has like 100+ books to sell that will get you a good deal because you save them sweat equity. I can't remember the last time I had a successful WTB thread here. If I post a price range I'm willing to pay, I'll get responses that are always higher.

What does this have to do with the Hulk 340 in question? Well, if the majority of the audience is looking for flipportunity and you offer them $5 growth potential then why bother buying, waiting for, then opening, and listing a package only to repack to make $5?

You have to cater to your audience. Sales 101. Now if this place was crawling with collectors only and you were offering that deal and someone needed it for their collection then you might be in luck, but I assure you that's not what the majority here are.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

/rant

Also he does realize that a no centerfold/no staples book is incomplete right? That book comes back NG from CGC (right? since it's just a pile of wraps)

Is it certain to be a NG?

Genuine question as I'm not sure. This one has 2 centrewraps missing and only 1 staple and got a grade.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7205561

Also he does realize that a no centerfold/no staples book is incomplete right? That book comes back NG from CGC (right? since it's just a pile of wraps)

Is it certain to be a NG?

Genuine question as I'm not sure. This one has 2 centrewraps missing and only 1 staple and got a grade.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7205561

yeah I also wondered, I think it'd get a .5 for being INCOMPLETE.

ON a semi-related note, IF you had many books to sell that people like, buyers might be enticed by savings on combined shipping costs and the relative 'certainty' of buying from a boardie, and bulk discounts might be good for both buyers and sellers. Additionally, its possible that reputations and relationships with/from other boardies will occasionally result in more sales and better prices. (You know they ship quickly, pack well, easy returns, good communications). If someone was on the fence, those things could play a factor.

But generally if you have a sale of a single fairly common book in non-nosebleed grade above GPA with no obvious reason to believe the price is increasing....you gotta get pretty lucky to sell it here. (although its certainly been done before!)

The numeric grade 0.5 corresponds to "Poor", so – yes, it can be incomplete and get the 0.5 grade.

And as Sharon says, the desirability of that book is based on rarity, and I add most people would love to have it for the cover, and maybe the opening story, so the centerfold might be secondary (depending on what material is there). :)

No disagreement as to the desirability of the book. My point is to compare the complaint that the book is selling at 5 times guide and then compare his price to the price of good (which it was not) is the issue. You are correct, my information was wrong, that it would come back from CGC 0.5 incomplete (probably)

...so the centerfold might be secondary (depending on what material is there). :)

In my estimation, it'll be missing the final 3 pages from the (originally 7 page) Mighty Man story "Note: The Mighty Man is held a captive by the Witch...", along with the first page from the (originally 2 page) Amazing Man text story "Phantom Tracks." So, I'm sure that I won't get to see how Mighty Man escapes the clutches of the witch. However, as you suggest, from a story perspective, I am indeed most interested in the lead A-Man story (spanning the first 12 pages of the book).

One of those 9.6 was mine

I caught that, but I didn't want to "out" you. :)

So, if someone throws up the :takeit: in my sales thread, after a week or so still hasn't paid, with poor communication and multiple missed promises to "pay tomorrow," then comes back to me saying someone else will be paying and he'd like me to ship to that other person's address, would that be grounds enough to cancel the deal? It'd make me feel pretty sketchy.