• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Of course not Vader, you explicitly told them you won't sell to them. The PL/HoS nomination requires a busted deal. No deal was ever struck because I said something to the effect of "I am offering this for sale to everyone but Vader2001", therefore the offer was not extended to you. You need three things for a deal, offer, acceptance and consideration. If YOU (vader2001) put up the :takeit: that becomes an offer ("Even though I know you don't want to sell to me, I am offering to buy it") When you get the PM saying I'm not selling to you that is the rejection and thus no deal.

there are people I would prefer not to deal with - do I need to put that disclaimer in all my sales threads

*right of refusal or refuse to sell on my personal do not sell list etc

or can I just inform them if they :takeit: i.e. after the fact

Edited by jsilverjanet

That was in the original receipt for the item I was about to purchase. I "added" that at the time to make it clear this is what I was about to purchase. He got the exact same receipt and I "assumed" (I feel rightly so) that is exactly what it was for. If he did not agree with what was clearly stated in the receipt it should have been noted or a P.M. sent or something within a reasonable amount of time that the grade was not guaranteed. Not until I got notice several weeks later that some of the grades were coming back as less than 9.8 did I start asking questions as to why this could / would be possible.

I feel what I did was in good faith and that an assumption of a pre-sale should be just that a 9.8 grade period. Not whatever comes back. That seems a bit archaic and not "standardized" business.

doh!

It pains me to admit this but I don't see how you have no claim to a 9.8 unless he guaranteed it. It appears you tried to create a guarantee by adding that language in that note. :sorry:

Did it say clearly in the sales thread "9.8" or did he PM you a confirmation that you would receive a 9.8?

That was in the original receipt for the item I was about to purchase. I "added" that at the time to make it clear this is what I was about to purchase. He got the exact same receipt and I "assumed" (I feel rightly so) that is exactly what it was for. If he did not agree with what was clearly stated in the receipt it should have been noted or a P.M. sent or something within a reasonable amount of time that the grade was not guaranteed. Not until I got notice several weeks later that some of the grades were coming back as less than 9.8 did I start asking questions as to why this could / would be possible.

I feel what I did was in good faith and that an assumption of a pre-sale should be just that a 9.8 grade period. Not whatever comes back. That seems a bit archaic and not "standardized" business.

Not sure. I feel for you as you've ended up with a comic that you don't want (and buying the one that you did want will be very expensive now), but I don't honestly know that I agree you were right to assume you were getting a 9.8 in the absence of Adonis specifically saying so.

I'm glad you've been offered a refund, anyway. Although as someone else pointed out, you could always just keep the book and sell it (almost certainly for more than $150) as an alternative.

doh!

It pains me to admit this but I don't see how you have no claim to a 9.8 unless he guaranteed it. It appears you tried to create a guarantee by adding in that note. :sorry:

Did it say clearly in the sales thread "9.8" or did he PM you a confirmation that you would receive a 9.8?

he didn't state any grades when you look at the sales thread

I'm a little sleepy, so maybe I missed something. But if the seller never guaranteed a 9.8, and the buyer doesn't want a 9.6, and the seller was going to refund the buyers $, then what's all the hubbub about?

(shrug)

I feel the same way. Refund was offered so what's problem?
The problem is selling CGC books without a grade. If an artist drools on the book while signing, and it comes back a 5,0 should I have to pay the 9.8 price? According to his FS thread, I would. It's shady and against forum rules.

I don't have a horse either, but I would like to know who added the note that says "...this is for fast Wytches Fast SS 9.8"? Adonis said it was you. If it was in fact him, that changes things.

It certainly does...

:popcorn:

This is why I asked the question last night.

LINK

So I'm confused. The invoice is for a 9.8.

When he sent the payment, he made a notation for a CGC SS 9.8 - Which was pointed out after the books were subbed to CGC from NYCC

CGC grades the books, the copy comes back a 9.6, which seller provides via invoice number. Buyer wants refund, seller will honor refund at a 100% of bought price.

Buyer the escalates paypal dispute to a claim, where paypal is currently reviewing, not allowing me to continue with the refund portion.

It begs the question though, of why you would accept payment for a 9.8 if no grade expectations were given. Under these circumstances, I would expect a seller to push back and state that they could not accept payment with an invoice the incorrectly describes the item as a 9.8. This effectively sets the seller up for a SNAD case if anything other than 9.8 is shipped. Doesn't make much sense.

I'm a little sleepy, so maybe I missed something. But if the seller never guaranteed a 9.8, and the buyer doesn't want a 9.6, and the seller was going to refund the buyers $, then what's all the hubbub about?

(shrug)

I feel the same way. Refund was offered so what's problem?
The problem is selling CGC books without a grade. If an artist drools on the book while signing, and it comes back a 5,0 should I have to pay the 9.8 price? According to his FS thread, I would. It's shady and against forum rules.

No, but to be fair it's difficult to imagine the seller actually submitting the book if it was ruined like that. Certainly not expecting the buyer to take it if they did submit it, anyway.

Under these circumstances, I would expect a seller to push back and state that they could not accept payment with an invoice the incorrectly describes the item as a 9.8. This effectively sets the seller up for a SNAD case if anything other than 9.8 is shipped. Doesn't make much sense.

I'd agree with that IF he looked at the receipt and read the note carefully, which in fairness he may well not have.

That being said most Moderns less than 9.8 are in today's market. I believe those who buy presales have an expectation that they are getting 9.8s and if I was a buyer of those books I'd make sure that the seller offering them would guarantee at minimum a 9.8

there are people I would prefer not to deal with - do I need to put that disclaimer in all my sales threads

*right of refusal or refuse to sell on my personal do not sell list etc

or can I just inform them if they :takeit: i.e. after the fact

I think a warning is the wisest way of doing it & avoids people second guessing things in these discussion threads.

The sub-forum guidelines (in the break between the sales threads & discussions in this sub-forum) state - "Please check out your buyer or seller before you commit to a transaction."

Well there's no way to check out your buyer unless a seller retains the right to refuse a "takeit".

The "takeit" has been the final step required in more than a few PL/HOS discussions so today seller's don't have that option unless they state it. (shrug)

Furthermore there are plenty of great presale sellers here who do that, for example the only one I did this year was from Royce (Designer Toast) who not only guaranteed a 9.8 but when the book came back 9.9 he didn't over charge or change the book. I got a better book than expected and he didn't blink an eye.