• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Furthermore there are plenty of great presale sellers here who do that, for example the only one I did this year was from Royce (Designer Toast) who not only guaranteed a 9.8 but when the book came back 9.9 he didn't over charge or change the book. I got a better book than expected and he didn't blink an eye.

Yep, Toast is awesome. On a general note, I find the asymmetry that permeates these sorts of situations interesting...buyers want refunds if grade is slightly lower than seller's estimate, but never pay the seller more if grade comes back higher than seller's estimate. hm

HOWEVER if you want to put a number on it and can't stand behind it then you should refund.

Agreed

Furthermore there are plenty of great presale sellers here who do that, for example the only one I did this year was from Royce (Designer Toast) who not only guaranteed a 9.8 but when the book came back 9.9 he didn't over charge or change the book. I got a better book than expected and he didn't blink an eye.

Yep, Toast is awesome. On a general note, I find the asymmetry that permeates these sorts of situations interesting...buyers want refunds if grade is slightly lower than seller's estimate, but never pay the seller more if grade comes back higher than seller's estimate. hm

If a seller says hey its a 9.8 and doesn't come back a 9.8 then they should be refunded. If the buyer gets a gift from cgc well that's great. Dre does 9.8 subbing all the time. If a book comes back 9.9 you pay for it. Is that what happened here not sure. HOWEVER if you want to put a number on it and can't stand behind it then you should refund.

I like the way Dre does things with the policy on higher grades. But I would have no problem with a seller who said if it comes back 9.9 you have first refusal on it as long as you pay X% more. As long as they were up front, people could make their decision whether or not to buy. I'm sure many wouldn't, but I don't think having that as a policy would be shady at all.

Yep...I guess I was saying that I find it interesting that more sellers don't put this symmetry into their policy

If a seller says hey its a 9.8 and doesn't come back a 9.8 then they should be refunded. If the buyer gets a gift from cgc well that's great. Dre does 9.8 subbing all the time. If a book comes back 9.9 you pay for it. Is that what happened here not sure. HOWEVER if you want to put a number on it and can't stand behind it then you should refund.

I like the way Dre does things with the policy on higher grades. But I would have no problem with a seller who said if it comes back 9.9 you have first refusal on it as long as you pay X% more. As long as they were up front, people could make their decision whether or not to buy. I'm sure many wouldn't, but I don't think having that as a policy would be shady at all.

Oh agreed the "extra" for a 9.9 is totally up to the first buyer and seller and work their way down. I don't think an extra policy must be included as long as you can fulfill the order you promised. If you have 10 ppls wanting 9.8s and you sub 10 books and 1 gets a 9.9 you could be in a world of pain if you can't get a buyer since you don't have a 10th 9.8.

I have a question that I hope someone(s) would be able to give me insight on.

When listing CGC graded pre-sales, or items for sale that are being made available from the conventions etc. Is it right to assume that the CGC pre-sale grade should be a CGC 9.8 even if it is not stated in the ad specifically?

I ask this because I would like to make sure other board members do not get burned, disappointed, or taken advantage of because their expectations are to receive a 9.8 graded book if the ad or sales thread doesn't say specifically. A similar situation just happened to be me, and I would hate to have it happen to someone else.

I would also ask that maybe we should make it mandatory that a grade expectation is listed for CGC pre-sales? For example: Seller(s) should post "No grade assigned" or minimum 9.8...

Thoughts anyone?

Many of the questions raised in this thread were addressed in the original query.

Is it right to assume that the CGC pre-sale grade should be a CGC 9.8 even if it is not stated in the ad specifically?

Short answer: No.

The qualifiers being that general perception here is that it's 9.8's or bust w/modern presales & the sales forum guideline require a grade/scan.

So if the buyer admits to assuming the grade - how does everyone feel about his Paypal action?

If he's refused the return/refund route I don't agree with the attempt to seek a refund through Paypal arbitration and keep the book.

(shrug)

Agreed. As long as the seller has a 9.8 for the buyer I see no issue with them offering a higher grade for more money. But you should still be required to come through with a 9.8 if that was what was agreed in the sale.

Yep...I guess I was saying that I find it interesting that more sellers don't put this symmetry into their policy

odds of a 9.9 are like flipping a coin 100 times and its heads each and every time. just extra wording that doesn't need to be included. such as things like I won't take counterfeit or monopoly money as payment. I won't ship to an unnamed address in the middle of Nigeria to the prince.

Honest question. If Adonis pre screened the book as a 9.8, and during the sig process it gets dinged down to a 9.6, should he be held accountable for the drop in grade? Assuming he guaranteed a 9.8 to begin with?

I've never taken part in these pre-sale events, so I'm unsure of the rules for all involved.

Can't prescreen SS books. MOST sellers over submit to ensure they cover everyone.

Ahh, that makes sense. I would imagine pre selling 10 9.8's and only submitting 10 books would be playing with fire.

When listing CGC graded pre-sales, or items for sale that are being made available from the conventions etc. Is it right to assume that the CGC pre-sale grade should be a CGC 9.8 even if it is not stated in the ad specifically?

I ask this because I would like to make sure other board members do not get burned, disappointed, or taken advantage of because their expectations are to receive a 9.8 graded book if the ad or sales thread doesn't say specifically. A similar situation just happened to be me, and I would hate to have it happen to someone else.

I would also ask that maybe we should make it mandatory that a grade expectation is listed for CGC pre-sales? For example: Seller(s) should post "No grade assigned" or minimum 9.8...

Thoughts anyone?

Many of the questions raised in this thread were addressed in the original query.

Is it right to assume that the CGC pre-sale grade should be a CGC 9.8 even if it is not stated in the ad specifically?

The qualifiers being that general perception here is that it's 9.8's or bust w/modern presales & the sales forum guideline require a grade/scan.

So if the buyer admits to assuming the grade - how does everyone feel about his Paypal action?

If he's refused the return/refund route I don't agree with the attempt to seek a refund through Paypal arbitration and keep the book.

(shrug)

Agreed can't keep the book AND the refund. It sounds like another reason not to deal with someone. and a learning experience for the buyer to buy from someone who knows what they are doing.

Edited by iceman399

Thoughts anyone?

(shrug)

PayPal will make the refund contingent upon the return of the book. They will probably even send a shipping label for him to use. He can't get a refund AND keep the book.

Honest question. If Adonis pre screened the book as a 9.8, and during the sig process it gets dinged down to a 9.6, should he be held accountable for the drop in grade? Assuming he guaranteed a 9.8 to begin with?

I've never taken part in these pre-sale events, so I'm unsure of the rules for all involved.

Can't prescreen SS books. MOST sellers over submit to ensure they cover everyone.

Ahh, that makes sense. I would imagine pre selling 10 9.8's and only submitting 10 books would be playing with fire.

For this book or similar con books absolutely. For an off the rack book like Random Book #123 Dre likely only subs as many as he has subscribers as getting caught having an extra 9.8 of Random Book#123 in 9.8 is likely break even with costs lol

odds of a 9.9 are like flipping a coin 100 times and its heads each and every time. just extra wording that doesn't need to be included. such as things like I won't take counterfeit or monopoly money as payment. I won't ship to an unnamed address in the middle of Nigeria to the prince.

:D

I hear you...I was also thinking more generally...not just moderns...like a "9.0" coming back 8.5 Vs. 9.2, Etc....getting off topic, though

:D

I hear you...I was also thinking more generally...not just moderns...like a "9.0" coming back 8.5 Vs. 9.2, Etc....getting off topic, though

Some sellers will. I didn't reach an agreement with one seller but it was basically I am charging you more than the going rate for the book because I believe it is under graded. You can buy it as is or I will have it sent to cgc and you will pay X for Y grade and Z for A grade. etc

For this book or similar con books absolutely. For an off the rack book like Random Book #123 Dre likely only subs as many as he has subscribers as getting caught having an extra 9.8 of Random Book#123 in 9.8 is likely break even with costs lol

I just noticed the Arrow gif in your sigline, is that from season 3? I'm almost done with season 2, have the new episodes all dvr'd. I'd hate to think I somehow missed them working the boxing glove arrow into an episode. :cry:

I just noticed the Arrow gif in your sigline, is that from season 3? I'm almost done with season 2, have the new episodes all dvr'd. I'd hate to think I somehow missed them working the boxing glove arrow into an episode. :cry:

I won't spoil it for you.

We sat in on the Arrow Panel at NYCC and the idea of a boxing glove arrow was hinted at. A few weeks later it happened. I think I did that song by lonely island when it happened.

Edited by iceman399

I won't spoil it for you.

We sat in on the Arrow Panel at NYCC and the idea of a boxing glove arrow was hinted at. A few weeks later it happened. I think I did that song by lonely island when it happened.

I have to catch up, I think an Arrow mini marathon is in order. :banana:

So do people in general not let the sellers know that the books have arrived and everything is good?

I sometimes fail to do that. Best practice is to let the sellers know. But I definitely fail sometimes. In fact, a lot of times, it is a week or 10 days before I even open stuff. :blush:

So do people in general not let the sellers know that the books have arrived and everything is good?

I sometimes fail to do that. Best practice is to let the sellers know. But I definitely fail sometimes. In fact, a lot of times, it is a week or 10 days before I even open stuff. :blush:

I rarely do. Also, as a seller I just assume no news (within a reasonable amount of time, say within a few days of when the package should arrive) is good news.

I rarely do. Also, as a seller I just assume no news (within a reasonable amount of time, say within a few days of when the package should arrive) is good news.

If it's an eBay transaction, I usually don't send a separate message. I just leave good feedback.

If it's through PayPal, I almost always do - especially if it's an expensive book. I've been in the seller's shoes and know how nerve-wracking it can be to wait for word.