• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

there are people I would prefer not to deal with - do I need to put that disclaimer in all my sales threads

*right of refusal or refuse to sell on my personal do not sell list etc

or can I just inform them if they :takeit: i.e. after the fact

I think a warning is the wisest way of doing it & avoids people second guessing things in these discussion threads.

The sub-forum guidelines (in the break between the sales threads & discussions in this sub-forum) state - "Please check out your buyer or seller before you commit to a transaction."

Well there's no way to check out your buyer unless a seller retains the right to refuse a "takeit".

The "takeit" has been the final step required in more than a few PL/HOS discussions so today seller's don't have that option unless they state it. (shrug)

cool, I'll make sure to add this to my threads. I don't think that person would buy from me again as I've told them to leave me alone but you never know.

The problem is I did not want to sell this book... I wanted it because who it was written buy and its future collectability...Not for short term monetary gain.

Your wanted a 9.8 by your request - The book came back a 9.6 and you requested a refund, but then escalated it to a claim where PayPal is reviewing the case.

This is turning into a circus where it shouldn't be. As soon as everything is finalized by PayPal you'll receive you're refund.

I'm going back to work.

Under these circumstances, I would expect a seller to push back and state that they could not accept payment with an invoice the incorrectly describes the item as a 9.8. This effectively sets the seller up for a SNAD case if anything other than 9.8 is shipped. Doesn't make much sense.

I'd agree with that IF he looked at the receipt and read the note carefully, which in fairness he may well not have.

I guess I'm coming at this from a Seller's perspective. It's in the seller's best interest to send invoices that clearly state the item description. And in the absence of a seller invoice, if the seller accepts payments with buyer descriptions, then it's incumbent upon the seller to make sure they are accurate or they risk getting the item returned on their dime.

Furthermore there are plenty of great presale sellers here who do that, for example the only one I did this year was from Royce (Designer Toast) who not only guaranteed a 9.8 but when the book came back 9.9 he didn't over charge or change the book. I got a better book than expected and he didn't blink an eye.

That's awesome. (worship)

The problem is I did not want to sell this book... I wanted it because who it was written buy and its future collectability...Not for short term monetary gain.

Why was having the 9.8 so important?

Of course not Vader, you explicitly told them you won't sell to them. The PL/HoS nomination requires a busted deal. No deal was ever struck because I said something to the effect of "I am offering this for sale to everyone but Vader2001", therefore the offer was not extended to you. You need three things for a deal, offer, acceptance and consideration. If YOU (vader2001) put up the :takeit: that becomes an offer ("Even though I know you don't want to sell to me, I am offering to buy it") When you get the PM saying I'm not selling to you that is the rejection and thus no deal.

Thanks dude, much appreciated!

Yes, but now the only way for you to get a 9.8 is to buy it from someone else.

You can either do that with $150 that you get from your refund plus however much else it costs you, or with the sale price of your 9.6 (probably more than $150) plus however much else it costs you.

Snyder doesn't write 9.6's.

:makepoint:

vemd93.gif

I thought The Wake was blah. That's right.

Furthermore there are plenty of great presale sellers here who do that, for example the only one I did this year was from Royce (Designer Toast) who not only guaranteed a 9.8 but when the book came back 9.9 he didn't over charge or change the book. I got a better book than expected and he didn't blink an eye.

Yep, Toast is awesome. On a general note, I find the asymmetry that permeates these sorts of situations interesting...buyers want refunds if grade is slightly lower than seller's estimate, but never pay the seller more if grade comes back higher than seller's estimate. hm

I thought The Wake was blah. That's right.

I agree, wasn't a fan.

Honest question. If Adonis pre screened the book as a 9.8, and during the sig process it gets dinged down to a 9.6, should he be held accountable for the drop in grade? Assuming he guaranteed a 9.8 to begin with?

I've never taken part in these pre-sale events, so I'm unsure of the rules for all involved.

On a general note, I find the asymmetry that permeates these sorts of situations interesting...buyers want refunds if grade is slightly lower than seller's estimate, but never pay the seller more if grade comes back higher than seller's estimate. hm

Because they agreed on a price. If the seller wants more for a higher grade than replace that copy with the agreed upon grade.

Edited by wombat

Yep, Toast is awesome. On a general note, I find the asymmetry that permeates these sorts of situations interesting...buyers want refunds if grade is slightly lower than seller's estimate, but never pay the seller more if grade comes back higher than seller's estimate. hm

If a seller says hey its a 9.8 and doesn't come back a 9.8 then they should be refunded. If the buyer gets a gift from cgc well that's great. Dre does 9.8 subbing all the time. If a book comes back 9.9 you pay for it. Is that what happened here not sure. HOWEVER if you want to put a number on it and can't stand behind it then you should refund.

Honest question. If Adonis pre screened the book as a 9.8, and during the sig process it gets dinged down to a 9.6, should he be held accountable for the drop in grade? Assuming he guaranteed a 9.8 to begin with?

I've never taken part in these pre-sale events, so I'm unsure of the rules for all involved.

Can't prescreen SS books. MOST sellers over submit to ensure they cover everyone.

Yes, imo. If you take someone's money and agree to deliver them something, then it's on you to make sure it's delivered.

If the seller isn't responsible then he in fact has not guaranteed the 9.8. It can't be both.

If a seller says hey its a 9.8 and doesn't come back a 9.8 then they should be refunded. If the buyer gets a gift from cgc well that's great. Dre does 9.8 subbing all the time. If a book comes back 9.9 you pay for it. Is that what happened here not sure. HOWEVER if you want to put a number on it and can't stand behind it then you should refund.

I like the way Dre does things with the policy on higher grades. But I would have no problem with a seller who said if it comes back 9.9 you have first refusal on it as long as you pay X% more. As long as they were up front, people could make their decision whether or not to buy. I'm sure many wouldn't, but I don't think having that as a policy would be shady at all.