• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I asked a question earlier that went unanswered. Are you going to try to sell any more CGC books here without a guaranteed grade?
Be more specific.

Are you talking about pre-sales? Raws? Books that are graded or process of being graded?

Based on his question, I assume he means Pre-Sales similar to this one

A-donis:

1) In the PMs you posted there was one from Justin dated 11/12 where he specifically said "wait, I'm still guaranteed a 9.8 right?" What was your response to this, it doesn't show in the chain you posted.

A-donis. Could you answer this question? This is the first indication that the customer is expecting something that you can't provide and there's a problem.

No, the first indication was a PM dated 10/15/2014. Justin wrote "Is there any update on this? Did it get signed and Pre-screened as a 9.8? Thanks!!" A-Donis wrote back an hour later saying "All books were signed and subbed." The first time he mentioned that the grade was up to CGC was on 11/12 when he said "Some are graded, some are scheduled for grading. But won't know grades until CGC ships them." That was what caused Justin to write the PM I quoted earlier "Wait, I'm still guaranteed a 9.8 right?".

In my mind, there is no question that A-donis implied a 9.8. Had he not, he would have corrected Justin and said, "hey FYI they were signed and subbed but were not pre-screened (*or couldn't be pre-screened, I'm not sure if you're allowed to pre-screen SS*) and might come back lower. I did my best to get them all 9.8 but I sold these with no guarantee."

IMO the first indication was the sales invoice. The buyer clearly stated 9.8, not whatever grade comes back. If this was not what the seller meant, then I think it would have been best if the buyer's expectations were adjusted at that point, or his payment returned.

I'm going to filter alot of the conversation so that anyone else who has a question can ask.

Buyer asked for an exclusive at a show, he pays for the item. Buyer makes notation on the PayPal payment comments that he wants a CGC 9.8 (although no specific grade was given during the sales thread)

Books are bought, which were really limited to buyers, and they are signed not only by the writer, but the cover artist as well, at no one's request.

Book is then subbed to cgc to be graded and mailed back to the buyer.

Buyer wants update of the book, and asked if a 9.8 was submitted. Seller replies that books are at cgc waiting on the grading process. Seller then advises that no specific grade was guaranteed, and said most books were 9.6-9.8s.

Buyer was given the invoice number and book graded a 9.6, not what he wanted. Buyer requested a refund, WHICH seller agrees to do, and asks for the book in return.

Buyer agrees to these terms, but then escalated the dispute to a PayPal claim, which put funds on hold, not allowing seller to give such refund until PayPal reviews the case.

Seller still has no clue what the buyer wants to do with the book, and is still willing to offer a refund.

Fast forward to three pages that didn't need to happen and here we are.

I'm going to filter alot of the conversation so that anyone else who has a question can ask.

Buyer asked for an exclusive at a show, he pays for the item. Buyer makes notation on the PayPal payment comments that he wants a CGC 9.8 (although no specific grade was given during the sales thread)

Books are bought, which were really limited to buyers, and they are signed not only by the writer, but the cover artist as well, at no one's request.

Buyer wants update of the book, and asked if a 9.8 was submitted. Seller replies that books are at cgc waiting on the grading process. Seller then advises that no specific grade was guaranteed, and said most books were 9.6-9.8s.

Buyer was given the invoice number and book graded a 9.6, not what he wanted. Buyer requested a refund, WHICH seller agrees to do, and asks for the book in return.

Buyer agrees to these terms, but then escalated the dispute to a PayPal claim, which put funds on hold, not allowing seller to give such refund until PayPal reviews the case.

Seller still has no he what the buyer wants to do with the book, and is still willing to offer a refund.

The first thing that shows this is utter garbage is the insinuation that you were doing the buyer a favour and the buyer requested a specific issue as opposed to you offering your opinion and expertise to guaranteed copies in a sale thread.

Seller still has no he what the buyer wants to do with the book, and is still willing to offer a refund.

The first thing that shows this is utter garbage is the insinuation that you were doing the buyer a favour and the buyer requested a specific issue as opposed to you offering your opinion and expertise to guaranteed copies in a sale thread.

Quit spewing hate. I'm being civil and your writing junk without reading the whole thing.

Comicdonna your question doesn't make sense. If I have a slab that's already graded by cgc, then how can the grade not be given?

Let me help...

Adonis are you going to continue pre-selling books here, that are raw the second you pick them up and hand them to the artist to be signed, but then given to CGC to be graded and placed in one of those nice plastic cases before knowing if they are a 9.8 or a 1.0?

That should be specific enough. lol

Let me help...

Adonis are you going to continue pre-selling books here, that are raw the second you pick them up and hand them to the artist to be signed, but then given to CGC to be graded and placed in one of those nice plastic cases before knowing if they are a 9.8 or a 1.0?

I'll let Dre be the expert from here on out.

This thing went far and beyond from where it started.

The headache is not worth the squeeze.

Books are bought, which were really limited to buyers, and they are signed not only by the writer, but the cover artist as well, at no one's request. *Jason: Correct, at no-one's request. You did something that some buyers may NOT have wanted. They ordered one thing and got something else. You need to tell people you plan to do that, or at least ask them if they want it. Some buyers may NOT have wanted them to sign it, even free*

Buyer wants update of the book, and asked if a 9.8 was submitted. Seller replies that books are at cgc waiting on the grading process. Seller then advises that no specific grade was guaranteed, and said most books were 9.6-9.8s. *Jason: This occurred almost 1 month after the buyer asked if a 9.8 was submitted. 1 month twisting in the wind with the expectation (because at that point he had twice mentioned a 9.8 expectation) of receiving a 9.8*

Buyer was given the invoice number and book graded a 9.6, not what he wanted. Buyer requested a refund, WHICH seller agrees to do, and asks for the book in return. *Jason: I don't see buyer requesting a refund. I see that he filed a complaint. He even says that as soon as you process the refund he will mail back the book. You keep saying that his escalating has put the refund "on hold". How? Just tell Paypal to grant the claim, then he gets his refund and they will make him mail back the book*

Buyer agrees to these terms, but then escalated the dispute to a PayPal claim, which put funds on hold, not allowing seller to give such refund until PayPal reviews the case. *Jason: Again, I only see refund brought up AFTER he filed a Paypal claim, not him saying "Hey I want a refund" you saying "Sure, just send me back the book" and him THEN filing a claim*

Seller still has no clue what the buyer wants to do with the book, and is still willing to offer a refund.

Please see my comments in your post.

Let me help...

I'll let Dre be the expert from here on out.

This thing went far and beyond from where it started.

The headache is not worth the squeeze.

It's really not that complicated. Dre states the Guaranteed CGC grade in his FS thread. You don't. See the difference?

If you want, I can screen capture my PayPal notification where it clearly states that the case is pending review by PayPal, which no refund option.

He escalated the dispute to a claim within 20* minutes of my response.

IMO the first indication was the sales invoice. The buyer clearly stated 9.8, not whatever grade comes back. If this was not what the seller meant, then I think it would have been best if the buyer's expectations were adjusted at that point, or his payment returned.

I'm a little concerned about the president this sets though.

When a buyer pays me via PayPal I never actually open the payment e-mail I receive and read it. I just see the e-mail in my In Box, know that payment has been made, and begin preping the item for shipment. I would assume many sellers, if not most, do thee same.

But the above makes it sounds like the seller, by accepting the PayPal payment, binds himself to whatever conditions the buyer stipulates in the comment section. In effect, the payment becomes part of the transaction negotiations.

So is it incumbent on the seller to open and read those payment e-mail to make sure the buyer hasn't unilaterally changed the terms of the transaction?

Not commenting on this specific situation so much as asking in a general sense.

Adonis

I think what you are missing here is that much of this could have been avoided if you would have communicated better with the customer long before the book came back.

I think your focus is too much on this refund and not necessarily how your sales thread, invoice and subsequent PMs set up the buyer with a false expectation

Unless I'm wrong, this seems to be a big part of why everyone is trying to say.

Furthermore, based on your lack of response to Comicdonna I would think the most concerning part is that you will probably have another pre-sale similar to this one without guaranteed grades and you'll have another unsatisfied customer.