• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,101 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2023 at 11:43 AM, cloud cloddie said:

I had a bunch of pages and sketches that sold there in the spring and like a third of them ended up on ebay for insane prices...all are still there. 

On 11/15/2023 at 2:58 PM, Hockeyflow33 said:

I had a bunch of pages and sketches that sold there in the spring and like a third of them ended up on ebay for insane prices...all are still there. 

Yup. There’s a lot better Valiant pieces at lower prices up on eBay, so best of luck to the seller on the flips. 

Step 1: Buy comic art for cheap

Step 2: Triple the price

Step 3: Take out a bank loan to buy a building, claiming 3X value in art assets

Step 4: Run for President!

:jokealert:

On 11/16/2023 at 11:43 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Step 1: Buy comic art for cheap

Step 2: Triple the price

Step 3: Take out a bank loan to buy a building, claiming 3X value in art assets

Step 4: Run for President!

:jokealert:

You need to slide in "Take out insurance at full value before the building mysteriously burns down" to be taken seriously on the national stage. lol 

Two Charlton pages by Ditko sold in May 2023 on eBay for $2000.

image.thumb.png.7aedec4f2e3eb81946dfde7dae998bf5.png

The first one is still in Alex R collection -> https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1933748

The second one, the least interesting, is currently for sale on eBay again... for 2900 USD...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126204355973?hash=item1d625da585%3Ag%3AENMAAOSwVfplYTL2&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338181027&customid=958&toolid=10049

(IHMO, that's too expensive for the content of this page. Even Albert Moy wouldn't mark it at this price... and seing the price on 3rd grade Ditkos in auctions lately...)

Edited by Ecclectica

Sold here one month ago for 420 USD :

https://russcochranauction.auctionanything.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&auction_uid1=6637730

Now on sale for 750 USD on eBay :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335139244693?hash=item4e07db0a95%3Ag%3AQr0AAOSw-19lZJ7C&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338181027&customid=958&toolid=10049

I love the incomplete description : "The artwork is in very fine condition". "... but half of the inks faded, as usual for Kane's LoTDK pages." is missing.

Edited by Ecclectica

On 11/28/2023 at 11:11 AM, Will_K said:

I don't mind the flipping / reselling.  I object to "enhancing" the art with to turn it into something different for that purpose.

jlgl1.jpg

jlgl2.jpg

I'm a fan of overlays on cover artwork, but this seems to really be trying to present it as something it's not. That, and it doesn't look very good.

On 11/29/2023 at 1:51 PM, comix4fun said:

Calling it a "Cover Prelim" indicates it was part of a contract to create a cover for publication and by the publisher. Nothing is a "cover" or should utilize that terminology unless it can be tied to work done for publication. If the seller doesn't have proof or provenance of work for publication they've created a fiction meant to induce purchase. 

Bros being Bros :(

On 11/29/2023 at 11:51 AM, comix4fun said:

Calling it a "Cover Prelim" indicates it was part of a contract to create a cover for publication and by the publisher. Nothing is a "cover" or should utilize that terminology unless it can be tied to work done for publication. If the seller doesn't have proof or provenance of work for publication they've created a fiction meant to induce purchase. 

Until you just posted, I hadn't thought of that: a prelim is not a prelim if the artist didn't produce final artwork. You are 100% correct, and I'd love to see this caveat implemented more ardently.

I did a quick search (I am not familiar with Batman 66) and I didn't see that there was a cover with the wall climbing scene on it. So, is this listing simply a sketch?

On 11/29/2023 at 1:51 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Until you just posted, I hadn't thought of that: a prelim is not a prelim if the artist didn't produce final artwork. You are 100% correct, and I'd love to see this caveat implemented more ardently.

I did a quick search (I am not familiar with Batman 66) and I didn't see that there was a cover with the wall climbing scene on it. So, is this listing simply a sketch?

It's just a sketch, a prelim of a sketch really, and that's how the eBay seller sold it. 

If Garcia-Lopez was hired to do a cover, and produced this, and it was rejected (formally, by DC) and it never saw publication in any format it could still be considered a "cover prelim", but this was not sold by the seller as anything more than a commission preliminary sketch...full stop. It didn't become an "unused...cover prelim" with all new trade dress until the current seller decided to add those descriptors and adornments to it. 

On 11/29/2023 at 12:56 PM, comix4fun said:

It's just a sketch, a prelim of a sketch really, and that's how the eBay seller sold it. 

If Garcia-Lopez was hired to do a cover, and produced this, and it was rejected (formally, by DC) and it never saw publication in any format it could still be considered a "cover prelim", but this was not sold by the seller as anything more than a commission preliminary sketch...full stop. It didn't become an "unused...cover prelim" with all new trade dress until the current seller decided to add those descriptors and adornments to it. 

Man, there is a lot of grey area in there to define that as a prelim. And of course, philosophically: is it a prelim if it never became something more? If not, I'd say it was a sketch - just as you pointed out.

I would think that an artist would refer to something that never saw completion (commercially or personally) a 'work study' – as a sketch that never got finalized or rejected seems more like a practice exercise. I have reams of artwork that never turned into anything, and I always referred to them as work studies.

Edited by Dr. Balls