• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED: GA/SA High Grade and Pedigrees
9 9

306 posts in this topic

Here's a little context on why 50s DC Salidas in particular stand out relative to other copies.

Edited by adamstrange

On 6/30/2017 at 0:40 AM, adamstrange said:

***SOLD***

Jumbo #85 Okajima:  Can you go wrong with Sheena in a leopard skin onsie?  :luhv:  Census:  2 in 9.4 and 2 in 9.2.  Old label CGC 9.2 ow for $550.

Jumbo85.jpg

Sold via PM.

9 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Man you could charge admission to this thread!

We're tracking the IP address for every visitor.  Bills will be mailed out next week.   :kidaround:

Let's get back to offering some more books.

Enticing offers and time payments will be considered for anything in this thread.

Wings 90 Cosmic Aeroplane:  The check mark on the cover is the key indicator for the Cosmic Aero pedigree.  The original owner was an art instructor and checkmarked any interesting panels or images featuring females.  In this case, the owner thought the cover image was noteworthy.  Works for me too.  Census:  5 in 9.4 and 2 in 9.2.  De-slabbed CGC 9.2ow/w can be used to further your artistic studies for only $3500.

Wings90ca.jpg

Crime Does Not Pay 66:  I mentioned previously in the thread about Biro's flair for story-telling.  This is very evident in the Lev-Gleason flagship title: CDNP.  He favored clean, uncluttered images and his favorite collaborator in the 50s was George Tuska, responsible for the lead story in this issue.  While balloon heavy, the stories offer are a good read and you'll get more than 5 min of enjoyment from the comic if you actually read it cover to cover.  The stories purport to be true but I've seen some comparisons and on most of them Biro probably took substantial liberties.  Census: 1 in 9.2.  VF/NM Outer cover with NM inner cover for $550.

CDNP66.jpg

CDNP66dblcvr.jpg

I only use professional hand models for my photographs.  Don't try this at home. (tsk)

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Star Spangled War Stories 31 Salida Copy:  The Salida collection was small, under a 1000 books, with a heavy focus on war comics.  The OO wanted to serve in the military but was deaf and therefore rejected.  The war comics were his way of staying connected with that dream and, evidenced by this copy, he read and appreciated them.  At least I've got to believe he appreciated the Heath because it's killer.

Census:  1 in 5.5  VF copy with the usual superlative cover colors and pages for $800.

SSWS31new.jpg

SSWS31p1.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

x

Edited by adamstrange

x

Edited by adamstrange

51 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Star Spangled War Stories 31 Salida Copy:  The Salida collection was small, under a 1000 books, with a heavy focus on war comics.  The OO wanted to serve in the military but was deaf and therefore rejected.  The war comics were his way of staying connected with that dream and, evidenced by this copy, he read and appreciated them.  At least I've got to believe he appreciated the Heath because it's killer.

Census:  1 in 5.5  VF copy with the usual superlative cover colors and pages for $800.

SSWS31new.jpg

Insane books. 

For those who don't know, Salida's are the top of the mountain for well-preserved comics. They can't be beat. The pages, gloss, whites, all top shelf. 

Hard as hell to find them though, so people just don't know. I have seen them in two or three collections I have looked at though, and they are ALWAYS standouts. Not many opportunities to pick these up. 

The Palo Alto was the first original owner collection brought to market in the 21st Century using a 21st Century approach.  In the year 2000, Lee Hester sent the entire set of books to CGC who decided there were enough of them in high enough grade and other qualities to merit the pedigree designation.  He took the resulting slabbed copies to San Diego Con where they were available for viewing only.  He then placed them on eBay to enable internet savvy collectors around the world to bid.  The PAs have nice colors and pages and I'm a little surprised to this and the next comic get cr/ow.  CGC was sometimes harder on rating pq in their early days so perhaps that was the reason or perhaps they are cr/ow. 

Men's Adventure 5 Palo Alto:   This is the second issue of Men's Adventure which switched genre's multiple times as Atlas shifted to keep up with the changing tastes of comic readers.  At this time the title was focused on crime, though there is one sci-fi story about flying saucers.  Census:  Tied for highest with one other copy.  CGC 8.0 cr/ow old label for $350.

Original Palo Alto Cert will be shipped with the comic.

MensAdv5.jpg

Was there ever a more pretentious Certificate of Authenticity for a comic book pedigree?

Spoiler

Not a chance.

PaloAltoCert.jpg.5357fbf2e8f0cecd35d6f7bbc53510e0.jpg

Edited by adamstrange