• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED: GA/SA High Grade and Pedigrees
9 9

306 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Strange Fantasy 9 (Harvey interior):  This outstanding precode horror code is is one of the best "Girl in Testtube" covers ever.  Glossy, bright VF for $500.

Please refer to Overstreet Guide if you want this book to make sure you know what you are getting.  This is the cover from the Ajax Str Fant 9 but wrapped around a Harvey war comic interior.  Census

StrFant9harvey.jpg

take it

20 minutes ago, Comcav said:

take it

Thanks for Str Fant 9!

The following comics are still available.

Enticing offers and time payments will be considered.

June30Avail.jpg

14 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Mystery Tales 5 Spokane:  Census: 1 in 9.2.  This superb copy has a lovely blue background superior to any other copy I've seen.  I'm not detailing any particular defects because there's nothing of note.  The pages are amazing for an Atlas comic.  If you've seen a Spokane in person then you'll understand how amazing they look out of the mylar.  If you haven't, now's your chance!  NM+ with white pages.

The line down the center of the image is a scanner artifact.

MysTales5.jpg

Sold via PM

Edited by adamstrange

More books coming this evening...

On 6/27/2017 at 9:19 PM, adamstrange said:

AMF 21 Church copy.  This was my first Centaur, purchased from Mr Bedrock because I'm a huge fan of Basil Wolverton.  Census:  3 in total, highest is 6.5.  Even among Centaurs, this is a very difficult book to find in any sort of decent condition.  This is NM+ copy with white pages that looks fresh off the newsstand from 1940.  $10,000.

I've included a scan from the 9 page Wolverton story because it is spectacular work by Basil that looks even better when the pages are still snow white.

AMF21sell.jpg

AMF21int1.jpg

AMF21int2.jpg

Wow

6 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

A "Wow" from Gator is a ringing endorsement. I think in my short time I have been here that is the first time I have seen that on the Sales Forum. (thumbsu

Yeah.  I mean nothing else to say to that book.  Just impossibly beautiful.  those pages are so white, it makes white pages from 1980 look offensively brown!

Double wow. The Wolverton art is incredible with snowy white pages and colors that are brighter than a bag of Skittles. Why hasn't some deep-pocketed Centaur collector already snagged this gem? (shrug)

On 2017-06-27 at 9:24 PM, porcupine48 said:
On 2017-06-27 at 9:19 PM, adamstrange said:

AMF 21 Church copy.  This was my first Centaur, purchased from Mr Bedrock because I'm a huge fan of Basil Wolverton.  Census:  3 in total, highest is 6.5.  Even among Centaurs, this is a very difficult book to find in any sort of decent condition.  This is NM+ copy with white pages that looks fresh off the newsstand from 1940.  $10,000.

I've included a scan from the 9 page Wolverton story because it is spectacular work by Basil that looks even better when the pages are still snow white.

The green line down the center of the cover is a scanner artifact.

AMF21new.jpg

AMF21int1.jpg

criminy!

Yep. Wowsers.

On 2017-06-27 at 9:37 PM, Silver Surfer said:

An AS sales thread, rare as hen's teeth!

As are the offerings.

Jimmy Olsen 23  Typical Jimmy Olsen silly cover and stories that hold up surprisingly well.  Census: 1 in 9.2 and 2 in 9.0.  VF/NM copy with off-white pages for $325

JimmyOlsen23.jpg

JimmyOlsen23bk.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Big Town 8 Church copy:  The cover was drawn by Alex Toth in a style that was widely admired and imitated by other comic book artists.  Census: tied for highest but this is an old label CGC 9.6 ow/w and the Church copy for $850.

BigTown8cgcsm.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Batman 75 Ohio Copy: This is my favorite 1950s issue of Batman with a powerful cover and story reminiscent of the dark early days of the caped crusader.  A crime boss's brain is transplanted into that of a giant gorilla who then goes on a rampage in Gotham.  Census:  1 in 9.0 and 2 in 8.0.  Getting Batman's from this era in nice shape, much less a pedigree, is very difficult.  VF/NM for $2500.

Batman75.jpg

Congo Bill:  This title is from the middle of the 50s when publishers were struggling to establish a successful formula while being constrained by the Comics Code.  The entire series (covers and stories) was drawn by the very under-rated Nick Cardy who had previously labored on jungle art for Fiction House.  While the character had started years earlier in Action, this series was edited by Julie Schwartz and envisioned as a "Mysteries in the Jungle" counterpart to their "Mysteries in Space."  The plots are clever, the art delightful and the colors intense on this very red cover.  Census:  1 in 9.0 and 1 in 8.0.  VF/NM for $1650.

Fun fact:  The color separations for this issue were messed up in the Gerber, conveying a maroon background when its actually a delightful cherry red.

CongoBill5.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

21 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Congo Bill:  This title is from the middle of the 50s when publishers were struggling to establish a successful formula while being constrained by the Comics Code.  The entire series (covers and stories) was drawn by the very under-rated Nick Cardy who had previously labored on jungle art for Fiction House.  While the character had started years earlier in Action, this series was edited by Julie Schwartz and envisioned as a "Mysteries in the Jungle" counterpart to their "Mysteries in Space."  The plots are clever, the art delightful and the colors intense on this very red cover.  Census:  1 in 9.0 and 1 in 8.0.  VF/NM for $1650.

Fun fact:  The color separations for this issue were messed up in the Gerber, conveying a maroon when background when its actually a delightful cherry red.

CongoBill5.jpg

:x

..... best cover of the run IMHO................. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(A friend of jesus)(thumbsu