• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
17 17

3,170 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2024 at 10:06 AM, Robot Man said:

This cool little girly digest caught my eye. But the $1K price made my hand burn so I had to put it back…

IMG_8933.jpeg

:x :flamethrower::devil:

That's a Worth Carnahan (who I've been writing about and whose fam archives I've scanned and been editing). One of the very first Harry Donenfeld (DC) pubs right there.

A grand? 😢

Love the report, Bob.  :foryou:

The market will figure itself out, and I like your approach (selling books and spreading the joy).  A smart guy like you will find more stock, but the "keys" among the commons won't ever be the same :(

Newbs should skip the boxes, smell the pulp, brush the flakes off after a good read, explore all the genres.  Just stay away from my Ranch Romances -

On 6/2/2024 at 11:44 AM, Robot Man said:

My observations…

Pulps are on fire.

Another thing that kind of suprised me was Paperbacks. I had a box full and sold easily 75% of them at pretty decent prices. I was the only one with any. PB’s are HOT and catching on finally.

Were any of the men's sweat magazines in evidence at the show?

???

On 6/2/2024 at 11:00 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

You gotta try to get out to The Collector’s Summit at Heritage. It is a real top-notch event Nate puts together.  The pulpalooza looked like a fun evening.  (thumbsu

This was nothing like the scale of that but a very fun local gathering. Nice to see so many jaw draw dropping pulps.

I would love to hit the Collector’s summit. More for a little vacation and hanging out with folks. Probably not for much, if any, buying or selling. I couldn’t buy anything for anything close to reasonable prices last night. So I went home empty handed other than a nice stack of dead presidents. 

This is awesome, thanks for the report! I would love to attend an East Coast/NY version of this someday. I've only been to one NYC pulp show circa 2016 or so and it was pretty lackluster. (And if there are any NY-area pulp shows this year, they are hiding well.)

I see more slabs in the photos than I would expect to, given how recently CGC slabbing has taken off. Would it still be fair to say that most of the higher-end stock was raw?

On 6/2/2024 at 4:01 PM, Robot Man said:

So I went home empty handed other than a nice stack of dead presidents. 

Now I can hit you up for a pluck, big money grip:busy: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

This was nothing like the scale of that but a very fun local gathering. Nice to see so many jaw draw dropping pulps.

I would love to hit the Collector’s summit. More for a little vacation and hanging out with folks. Probably not for much, if any, buying or selling. I couldn’t buy anything for anything close to reasonable prices last night. So I went home empty handed other than a nice stack of dead presidents. 

You can dig the boxes not all the stuff is crazy i found good stuff that won't break the bank (thumbsu

I couldn’t buy anything for anything close to reasonable prices last night. So I went home empty handed other than a nice stack of dead presidents. 

That will be your experience at the collector summit...

On 6/2/2024 at 1:08 PM, Point Five said:

This is awesome, thanks for the report! I would love to attend an East Coast/NY version of this someday. I've only been to one NYC pulp show circa 2016 or so and it was pretty lackluster. (And if there are any NY-area pulp shows this year, they are hiding well.)

I see more slabs in the photos than I would expect to, given how recently CGC slabbing has taken off. Would it still be fair to say that most of the higher-end stock was raw?

I would say 50-50. Lots of both on the high end. Folks were remarking that grades seemed a little higher than expected and I concur. Maybe starting out a bit forgiving due to the new nature of pulp grading or maybe to encourage submissions. Everyone agreed that they are being a bit hard on over hangs. There were a lot of graded books there. Considering that cover collectors seem to be outweighing reading collectors (no suprise to me), slabs make a lot of sense. 

I figured at Pulpalooza that there were a lot of folks going to buy that “one big book”. If a dealer had that book, he went home happy. If not, he just had a fun evening.

I didn’t want to be that guy so I took a different approach. I went to sell quantity. Not that I didn’t bring quality as well but just figured as there always is, folks from the “shallow end” not able or willing to drop big bucks on a book.

I moved a LOT lessor priced stuff to these folks. They went home happy and smiling and I went home with their money and a lot less stuff.

Just a different approach and now I can buy one big book for myself. It all works out the same in the end. Sometimes the little dog goes home with his bone too…

On 6/3/2024 at 10:54 AM, Robot Man said:

Kind of like going to a Porsche dealership.

More like a tuna meeting up with a swarm of sharks...

On 6/2/2024 at 7:56 AM, Robot Man said:

Show report…

Pulpalooza in Anahiem CA last night.

First show on the West Coast dedicated primarily to Pulps. Show ran from 3-8 Pm. 

Was held in a side room of a local brewery. Free open craft beer and all the tasty bar-b-que you could eat.

There were about 80 collectors. All invited to bring stuff to buy, sell or trade. All at no charge. High end stuff was encouraged and it did not disappoint. A room full of awsome eye candy.

IMG_8914.jpeg

IMG_8919.jpeg

IMG_8920.jpeg

IMG_8930.jpeg

Thanks for the great report!  

Is that a heavily trimmed first Doc Savage underneath the chicken, pulled pork, and corn bread?  There is no Street and Smith on the top of the cover.

On 6/4/2024 at 8:03 AM, BitterOldMan said:

Thanks for the great report!  

Is that a heavily trimmed first Doc Savage underneath the chicken, pulled pork, and corn bread?  There is no Street and Smith on the top of the cover.

It is an original Mexican first issue. Was printed in a digest size format. The seller showed it to me. Was a little weird because it had an early pie eyed Mickey Mouse Kay Kamen ad on the inside back cover. A real rarity. I didn’t ask the price.