• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,112 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2024 at 3:17 PM, CCEC said:

I went back again on Sunday afternoon.  Both parking garages were closed and I was directed to park across the street in the Disney overflow parking lot outside in the rain.  The convention did not seem as crowded as Saturday, but yet the parking garages were closed.  Go Figure.

Dealers I talked to said the traffic on Sunday was lighter, but the purchases were larger.  In some cases, total take for Sunday outpaced Saturday.  I guess the explanation was the 3 day passes show up in the last couple of hours to pull the trigger.  The Gold Silver area seemed like it had the most traffic in the final hours compared with the rest of the emptying exhibit hall.

Wow, that suks especially in the rain. They probably didn’t want to pay the parking guys holiday pay.

Good to hear the dealers were busy on Sunday. I want them to do well so they come back next year. I can’t imagine walking around that postage stamp on the floor map for 3 days. I easily did the show for what I went for in one day. Just great to have live comic shows. 

On 4/3/2024 at 7:23 AM, Robot Man said:

Wow, that suks especially in the rain. They probably didn’t want to pay the parking guys holiday pay.

Good to hear the dealers were busy on Sunday. I want them to do well so they come back next year. I can’t imagine walking around that postage stamp on the floor map for 3 days. I easily did the show for what I went for in one day. Just great to have live comic shows. 

You are so right.  Given the incredibly shrinking Gold Silver area, you could see everything in an hour or less.  I do agree with you about supporting live comic events.  No amount of online can match the experience of talking face to face with dealers.  

On 4/3/2024 at 9:17 AM, CCEC said:

You are so right.  Given the incredibly shrinking Gold Silver area, you could see everything in an hour or less.  I do agree with you about supporting live comic events.  No amount of online can match the experience of talking face to face with dealers.  

Here is a map of the floor of the show. The “Gold/Silver Pavillion” (comic book dealing area) is shown in the lower right corner in yellow.

It shows 5 short isles with probably 5 dealers on each side. There are a few spillovers in the back and maybe a couple fill overs to the left around the large CGC booth. A fraction of what it used to be.

Now, a lot of folks are mostly “wall gazers”. If so, one could probably get through in an hour or less. But, if you are a real digger, you have to hit the boxes. I only hit the GA ones mostly. This is where the deals usually are. Between that and asking for stuff maybe out of sight, it took me a little over 3 hours. I would say, there were quite a few dealers I rarely buy from. Either they don’t have what I want, have crazy prices or just don’t care for. I usually hit the folks I like or the smaller ones or ones I have never seen before first. Then another trip through just to see if I missed anything. The rest of the time is spent socializing or submitting books to CGC. I covered it easily in one day. To me a con is a wonderful way to spend a day. A day, you forget all the messes of just every day life. 

IMG_8745.png

Bob,

Asking here because I don't remember where the subject came up, but you mentioned doing brisk business in vinyl lately.

Instead of heading to Windy City this weekend, I ended up in the twin metropolises of Auburn and Opelika, Alabama.  A sorority mother-daughter weekend precipitated the visit, and, even though I have no idea how I ended up with a sorority girl daughter, it has been a beauty weekend.  Anyways with the girls at ladies only events, I had time to scour any locales for pulps, comics, magazines, books and records.

The comic shop I hit this morning had some surprising rarities but it was a "none of this is priced, pick out what you're interested in and I'll quote you prices." Needless to say the item I was unable to conceal my excitement about was quoted at about 400 percent of value (a magazine I'm pretty sure he hadn't the vaguest idea on).  I did end up picking up a romance comic just cuz dude was nice enough to break a couple Terror Tales out of the vault to show off.

Anyways, I ramble as usual.  The cool little hipster record store I went into in Opelika had great repressing and selection of new material.  Whatever, though, I'm not buying a new pressing of even the coolest jazz album for 60 bucks.  30 years ago I balked at 25 or 30.  I asked the nice owner who is ponying up 60 for a fresh pressing - "the kids"

But that's not gets me.  It was the prices for low grade used records (jazz and rock are what I looked at).  Records I'd expect to pay 4 to 8 were marked at 20 to 40.  These are Alabama prices, mind you, I have no idea how that even translates in your neck of the woods. I did manage to find some nice high grade (though mass market) stuff in a flea market/antique mall I was happy to pay an average of 10 per for, but some sellers had what seemed like inordinate prices there, too, for low and midgrade mass market used records.

Is vinyl really this hot?

Yeah, vinyl is hot. Audiophiles such as myself have always preferred its warm, rich sound compared to digital. Youngsters/hipsters just think its cool because its niche market. As a result vinyl record and turntable sales continue to surge.

:)

Yeah, in the LA area, vinyl is very hot. Classic rock and Punk rock rule the roost. Jazz and Blues stuff is also very hot.

Every garage or estate sale I go to with records are packed with hunters. There is also a local flea market that has a very large record section packed with buyers and sellers.

Lots of audiofiles as well as young hipsters who pay up for it.

As Hepcat stated, there is a warm feel as well as a long bandwith of sound offered by analog recordings that is missing in modern digital recording. A lot of the young folks also like the experience in spinning vinyl.

I play mine all the time. But I have also recorded much digitally in Wave files to reproduce the original sound. I bought a 160 gig IPod to store them on and can take it everywhere. Kind of marrying the past with the present.

I also have a couple of ‘50’s/‘60’s tube amps I play my guitars through. You just can’t get that sound through a modern solid state amp.

And, I won’t get started on carburetors…

On 4/1/2024 at 8:53 AM, Robot Man said:

Yes, conventions and other forms of buying in person have changed. But, at a show, you get the “thrill of the hunt” and the discovery. You also get to converse with like minded folks. Catching up with friends and meeting new ones.

Thumbs up. Conversations at the Berkeley show yesterday were amazing.

On 4/7/2024 at 10:24 AM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, in the LA area, vinyl is very hot. Classic rock and Punk rock rule the roost. Jazz and Blues stuff is also very hot.

Every garage or estate sale I go to with records are packed with hunters. There is also a local flea market that has a very large record section packed with buyers and sellers.

Lots of audiofiles as well as young hipsters who pay up for it.

As Hepcat stated, there is a warm feel as well as a long bandwith of sound offered by analog recordings that is missing in modern digital recording. A lot of the young folks also like the experience in spinning vinyl.

I play mine all the time. But I have also recorded much digitally in Wave files to reproduce the original sound. I bought a 160 gig IPod to store them on and can take it everywhere. Kind of marrying the past with the present.

I also have a couple of ‘50’s/‘60’s tube amps I play my guitars through. You just can’t get that sound through a modern solid state amp.

And, I won’t get started on carburetors…

I still enjoy my records (and I've picked up the collections of my parents and many others as they got rid of their phonographs).  My favorite thing about them is the size of the art and the intentionality (spellcheck didn't like that but I feel like it's a word) of having to pick out a specific record and then play a side. I've gotten to the point where I just have no space in the large shelf I built for them all, so I'm picking some out to sell to make room for more.  Mostly letting go punk/indy stuff from the 80s and 90s, but I could very easily pick a little of the rock I've inherited from the folks to go, too. 

I guess one of my favorite things about records is actually the price.  Four bucks for a used album I've never heard is fantastic. 20 bucks for a used one not so much.  60 bucks for a new jazz pressing?   Hell no, I'm grabbin a pirate FLAC from a fellow audiophile :yeehaw:  Flea market prices this weekend were totally reasonable, record store prices not so much.

It's cool the kids are digging the vinyl, but I guess I'm a greedy and want them all cheap and for myself :D

As for the quality of the sound.  I agree with the warmth, and even don't mind the skips and crackle (I wasn't always the best to my records, they are victims of beer spills and bongwater ).  Whether the sound is *actually* better is a debate I've had with friends who are audio engineers that cry myth.  Dunno.  Lots of cool things about digital files, especially the fact that all the music from that actual F8CKTON of records in my collection fits in a little chip on my phone.

Speaking of tube amps, my club rig was an old Sovtek.  I only remember it being LOUD not warm :roflmao::headbang:.  I've got a little Squier amp now and was pretty much weaned off of monster gear and much in the way of gadgetry when I moved into jazz since most of the players like a pretty simple acoustic profile.  I've been thinking of getting something a little fancier but need to invest a little more time in my chops before I invest in a new rig :D

Last weekends flea market grabs, since I'm gabbin'

Really dug the Manassas albums when I listened recently, each seemed to have a different sort of flavor or theme.  Sit with a bunch of older comic scanners (boomers) on a Discord, and they are stuck in this particular era, but I don't fault em.  I listen to music both newer and older than most of them do. They have little respect for muh new wave/punk roots but whatevs:

20240406_142702.thumb.jpg.c6444e10b7e8508a599139646bae00c4.jpg

I got this one in part because it was so shiny.  I'm not much of a condition hound (with record sleeves especially just slightly moreso with the platter), but this grabbed me.  This is some cheese, so sue me:

20240406_142629.thumb.jpg.c0db7f9d9a67102f97e789648d3c62f8.jpg

These last two are probably in my main listening area:

20240406_202717.thumb.jpg.960a6e8703d11079bd720efcae91a69c.jpg

20240406_202831.thumb.jpg.237a02615166e0da62585feccea272bf.jpg

Edited by Darwination

Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2024 at 3:40 PM, Darwination said:

I still enjoy my records (and I've picked up the collections of my parents and many others as they got rid of their phonographs).  My favorite thing about them is the size of the art and the intentionality (spellcheck didn't like that but I feel like it's a word) of having to pick out a specific record and then play a side. I've gotten to the point where I just have no space in the large shelf I built for them all, so I'm picking some out to sell to make room for more.  Mostly letting go punk/indy stuff from the 80s and 90s, but I could very easily pick a little of the rock I've inherited from the folks to go, too. 

I guess one of my favorite things about records is actually the price.  Four bucks for a used album I've never heard is fantastic. 20 bucks for a used one not so much.  60 bucks for a new jazz pressing?   Hell no, I'm grabbin a pirate FLAC from a fellow audiophile :yeehaw:  Flea market prices this weekend were totally reasonable, record store prices not so much.

It's cool the kids are digging the vinyl, but I guess I'm a greedy and want them all cheap and for myself :D

As for the quality of the sound.  I agree with the warmth, and even don't mind the skips and crackle (I wasn't always the best to my records, they are victims of beer spills and bongwater ).  Whether the sound is *actually* better is a debate I've had with friends who are audio engineers that cry myth.  Dunno.  Lots of cool things about digital files, especially the fact that all the music from that actual F8CKTON of records in my collection fits in a little chip on my phone.

Speaking of tube amps, my club rig was an old Sovtek.  I only remember it being LOUD not warm :roflmao::headbang:.  I've got a little Squier amp now and was pretty much weaned off of monster gear and much in the way of gadgetry when I moved into jazz since most of the players like a pretty simple acoustic profile.  I've been thinking of getting something a little fancier but need to invest a little more time in my chops before I invest in a new rig :D

Last weekends flea market grabs, since I'm gabbin'

Really dug the Manassas albums when I listened recently, each seemed to have a different sort of flavor or theme.  Sit with a bunch of older comic scanners (boomers) on a Discord, and they are stuck in this particular era, but I don't fault em.  I listen to music both newer and older than most of them do. They have little respect for muh new wave/punk roots but whatevs:

20240406_142702.thumb.jpg.c6444e10b7e8508a599139646bae00c4.jpg

I got this one in part because it was so shiny.  I'm not much of a condition hound (with record sleeves especially just slightly moreso with the platter), but this grabbed me.  This is some cheese, so sue me:

20240406_142629.thumb.jpg.c0db7f9d9a67102f97e789648d3c62f8.jpg

These last two are probably in my main listening area:

20240406_202717.thumb.jpg.960a6e8703d11079bd720efcae91a69c.jpg

20240406_202831.thumb.jpg.237a02615166e0da62585feccea272bf.jpg

I’ve only got 2 amps now. A black face pre CBS Fender Twin reverb I use for playing live. I also have a ‘54 Fender tweed Champ Amp for around the house. I have also miked it for live shows in small rooms. Got it out of the back of a truck at a flea market for $100.

That TJ Brass album reminds me of my mom. She loved them and played that all the time. Wasn’t cool when I was a kid…

I too, tend to play a lot of stuff like the last two. Sounds so good on vinyl with good speakers. 

Edited by Robot Man

Posted (edited)

Pulled these two out of a stack of old Surfer mags at an antique mall yesterday. So iconic to those of us growing up in SO CA as kids in the early ‘60’s.

Before he “tuned in, turned on” and moved to the Bay Area to turn out some of the best concert poster and album cover art, Rick Griffin was just a young, very talented surfer “greemie”. He was, by far, the youngest contributor to this iconic magazine. (Under 16). His character “Murf the Surf” was featured for several years. This is his only cover and the only time there wasn’t a photo on the cover. Sadly, Rick passed away on his motorcycle on a foggy morning. He left us way too soon…

The story (a multi issue arch) in evolved a spot called Trestles. An amazing break that was under control of the US Marines and strictly off limits to surfers. Not that folks didn’t try. Me and a couple buddies tried one day. Under cover of darkness, we ventured in and were grabbing some nice “dawn patrol” tubes when a jeep pulled up on the beach and ordered us in. They would usually take your board and drop you off at the gate with a stern warning. We made the mistake of running and were greeted on our back sides with rock salt. Shattered the glass on my board and went right through my wet suit. Stung like an SOB but we got away never to return.

The Cartoon Book was a digest full of great Griffin surf jokes. Both are quite rare and went the way of the trash can along with my comics by my mom after I moved out of the house. Glad to have them both back!

IMG_8772.jpeg

IMG_8774.jpeg

IMG_8775.jpeg

IMG_8773.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

Killer share, Bob :golfclap:  It's hard to believe you actually caught some bird shot in the adventure, but that's a great story.

I've been selling more than buying in the way of collectibles, but I looked long and hard at copy of Tales from the Tube just this week, absolutely love Rick Griffin.  It might be a little hard to see from his early toons (though they're still great), but Griffin is one of the true giants to come out of the world of underground comix, and some of his poster work is absolutely mind-blowing (thumbing my copy of Heart and Torch right now).  You see a lot of influence in the Surfer stuff from Mad types, and I enjoyed the surfer-centric retrospective I read this morning at The Surfer's Journal:

https://www.surfersjournal.com/editorial/the-archivist-rick-griffin-beautiful-pandemonium/

When I took a trip out to Cali last Spring Break with the fam going from my bro's pad in Humboldt (cannabis farmer) to San Francisco to LA where my sis (model/artist lol) lives, I got a big kick out of watching the mostly yuppie surfers (more power to em) out on Manhattan Beach on calm day. 

All of Cali was great (incredible food, excellent vibes - even in LA).  I'd never considered retiring there (cost of living is *slightly* prohibitive), but it could happen.

I'm of a later generation but have a similar connection to BMX magazines from my youth.  They were absolutely the lifeblood of what was at the time a very niche subculture.  This is an old blog post but one of my faves.  I might have done just a little escaping the authorities myself.  :whistle::

https://darwinscans.blogspot.com/2010/02/kickin-it-old-school-bmx-and-freestyle.html

On 4/18/2024 at 8:44 PM, Robot Man said:

Found another piece of my childhood. Was stashed away and I just turned it up. An original first edition and uncolored unlike my original one.

IMG_8776.jpeg

I have one of those too! Uncoloured.

Roth was one heck of an artist. This book is full of this great art.

While Ed "Big Daddy" Roth was indeed a great artiste, he was capable of only air brushing. The finished line art for his T-shirt designs was rendered mainly by Wes Bennett and then from late 1964 onward Ed "Newt" Newton.

I spent many happy hours building his models and in the process sniffing that glue…:roflmao:

I built both Rat Fink and Angel Fink as a kid and I have all the Roth custom rod kits with the exception of Surfite and all the fink kits with the exception of Scuz-Fink, Robbin' Hood Fink and Boss Fink in my present day collection.

And I refuse to even consider "kiddy" Snap-Together kits for my collection! I just say "No!" to any model kit that doesn't require styrene cement to build.

s-l1600.webp

:wink:

Edited by Hepcat

I knew you would find this fun. I thought the art in this book might be of interest to comics folks. You just have to be the right age. I loved monsters and cars even at a very young age. The perfect storm.

I have a pretty decent collection of early ‘60’s “monster driving cars” artifacts. Although, my collection has slowed down, I still pick up things here and there.

Although the Roth stuff is top of the heap, I also have quite a bit of “Weird-Ohs”, Lindbergh Loony’s and related stuff as well. Like anything that gains popularity, there are always imitators.

On 4/19/2024 at 11:14 AM, Robot Man said:

Like anything that gains popularity, there are always imitators.

While Ed "Big Daddy" Roth was already air brushing T-shirts at custom car shows in the late 1950's and selling these T-shirts through ads in car mags by the very early 1960's:

monster_03.jpg?w=940&h=764

Revell introduced his first fink kit, Mr Gasser, only in 1963. Mother's Worry, Drag Nut and Rat Fink as well hit store shelves by year-end:

MothersWorrySurfinkModelKits.jpg

AngelFinkandDragNutModelKits.jpg

Incidentally the box art on all these Revell "Big Daddy" Roth model kits was done by longtime Revell box artist Jack Leynnwood.

But at least the first tranche of Hawk Weird-Ohs, i.e Digger, Davey and Daddy, had already been released before the Revell Mr. Gasser:

Weird-ohModelKits2.jpg

It was Bill Campbell at Hawk who designed the Weird-Ohs and subsequently both the Silly Surfers and Frantics.

Much more here on Ed "Big Daddy" Roth:

https://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=13133.0

And on the Weird-Ohs:

https://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=12257.0

:headbang:

Edited by Hepcat