• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2022 at 12:22 PM, Robot Man said:

Here is my mom. She was as far as we can assertain, the first woman White House photographer. She got the job due to all the men going away in the service. She knew FDR and Truman well. We have lots of her API photos and a lot of personal photos from their homes. 

momroosevelt.jpg

Reminds me of Lois Lane in the old Superman tv show...:cloud9:

On 3/7/2022 at 11:08 AM, Robot Man said:

Fun stuff! I too love finding interesting ephemera. One of my favorite things are old matchbooks. Always around and always very cheap. Here is some of a nice collection of pre war ones I found years ago. 

matchbooksweirdstuff.jpg

matchbooksbeer.jpg

matchbookscars.jpg

matchbooksoil.jpg

matchbooksplanes.jpg

matchbookssoftdrinks.jpg

matchbookssports.jpg

matchbookstrains.jpg

matchbookstrucks.jpg

Those are great; the printing on some of those is really well done. The streamliner steamers make a great set.

On 3/7/2022 at 12:31 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Those are great; the printing on some of those is really well done. The streamliner steamers make a great set.

Yes being involved in graphic design, advertising and printing all my life, I am real drawn to them. Several have a fifth color of heavy metallic ink.

I picked up this group many years ago. They were attached to pages in a salesman sample book. 2 of each one. I framed a lot of them and these were left over. I have them grouped here into subject matter. They were printed and trimmed out flat with no matches.

I pick them up here and there for a buck or two when I come across them. Like pinback buttons, they produced a lot of color and subject matter in a very small space.

Blow them up for a good look.

Edited by Robot Man

On 3/7/2022 at 1:22 PM, Robot Man said:

Here is my mom. She was as far as we can assertain, the first woman White House photographer. She got the job due to all the men going away in the service. She knew FDR and Truman well. We have lots of her API photos and a lot of personal photos from their homes. 

momroosevelt.jpg

Bob, 

Just saw this post and wanted to comment.  I learned about a year or so ago that FDR (and Teddy Roosevelt too) are some of my cousins.  Geneology is one of my other hobbies.

PDG

On 3/20/2022 at 1:02 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Bob I know you like those fifties Mad knockoffs. I went to today's Glendale Paperback Show and one guy had a pile. I just decided to pick up these three Humbugs as I love Kurtzman.

Humbug234.thumb.jpg.ce0ba1e746d24c62f06c107b71cfa4d3.jpg

I was there too. Fun show! You should have gotton more…

Edited by Robot Man

Went to the LA paperback show today. Last one was 2 years ago just prior to Covid. Was great to see so many people again and the chance to sniff all things paper. Saw a number of boardies.

The joint was PACKED and people were spending. All dealers were very happy. 

057E7E92-216B-4A7C-B6E2-F1FF596B9882.jpeg

0FF41C90-009E-4BEC-BF80-B23D15D8BCCE.jpeg

On 3/20/2022 at 4:27 PM, Robot Man said:

I was there too. Fun show! You should have gotton more…

I got in at 9 AM on the dot as I was downtown dropping my son off at Union Station at 7:30 AM. Went to Phillipe's for breakfast then hit the show. It was a busy day so I only hung out for one hour but enjoyed all the paper too!

On 3/20/2022 at 4:54 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I got in at 9 AM on the dot as I was downtown dropping my son off at Union Station at 7:30 AM. Went to Phillipe's for breakfast then hit the show. It was a busy day so I only hung out for one hour but enjoyed all the paper too!

I went to the flea market on my way in but it was a bust. Wish I went to Phillips’s instead…:x

Yeah, was really a fun show and VERY busy. I swept through then spent a couple hours socializing with my buddies.