• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2022 at 7:01 PM, Robot Man said:

Got to see the 3 “Ghoulantics” my buddies Grant Geissman, John Kousakis and John Gaughan. Really missed these guys. Such fountains of EC lore.

John Kousakis was so kind to give us each a pile of vintage EC t-shirts. He recently bough out the entire back stock of Grafitti studios con shirts. He will be soon listing them on the bay. I will post pictures later. 

35768457-9BFA-4841-A470-64D8FBEAE3A2.jpeg

Very cool, Bob!  It's the guys like these 3 that really make it fun going to these shows.  I've never seen that copy of Picture Stories from the Bible.

Looks like you picked up a nice little haul.  I have a copy of Pushover, also (love those early digests).  (thumbsu

On 3/20/2022 at 6:58 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Very cool, Bob!  It's the guys like these 3 that really make it fun going to these shows.  I've never seen that copy of Picture Stories from the Bible.

Looks like you picked up a nice little haul.  I have a copy of Pushover, also (love those early digests).  (thumbsu

I’ve known these 3 guys for over 40 years. We talk our heads off on those rare times we all get together. The Picture Stories is the scarce hardback. Was going to buy it but handed it to John since he wanted it more than I did.

I don’t buy a lot of paperbacks anymore but have always loved digests. They were in kind of short supply today. I had no idea that one was so scarce. Just haven’t seen an LB Cole one in a long time. 

On 3/20/2022 at 10:48 PM, Robot Man said:

I’ve known these 3 guys for over 40 years. We talk our heads off on those rare times we all get together. The Picture Stories is the scarce hardback. Was going to buy it but handed it to John since he wanted it more than I did.

I don’t buy a lot of paperbacks anymore but have always loved digests. They were in kind of short supply today. I had no idea that one was so scarce. Just haven’t seen an LB Cole one in a long time. 

Digests are the next pulps imho. Here's the other incredibly rare one...

20220315_203539.thumb.jpg.77736a9915fdad3ee772b614231f803a.jpg

What a fun looking show! Wow a Grant, Johnny and John sighting! Haven’t seen em in a long while and hope to see all and more at W-con if it goes off. Great pics 🤖 and it seems that there weren’t too many attendees under 55 years of age. Lots of canes and walkers! My kind of joint. 

8F73E44A-8AC9-4052-87F9-13484E091204.jpeg

On 3/20/2022 at 8:32 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Digests are the next pulps imho. Here's the other incredibly rare one...

20220315_203539.thumb.jpg.77736a9915fdad3ee772b614231f803a.jpg

Never seen that one either. His digest work is so different than his comic book work. Either earlier or aiming at a different audience.

Probably should have bought more digests but these two were sitting face up just beconning me to open my wallet…

On 3/20/2022 at 11:47 PM, Cobbledclam said:

What a fun looking show! Wow a Grant, Johnny and John sighting! Haven’t seen em in a long while and hope to see all and more at W-con if it goes off. Great pics 🤖 and it seems that there weren’t too many attendees under 55 years of age. Lots of canes and walkers! My kind of joint. 

8F73E44A-8AC9-4052-87F9-13484E091204.jpeg

Was a fun show. Old school one day show. Suprisingly, a lot of the younger crowd looking for mostly comics which were in short supply. A lot of single women as well.

WonderCon is going to happen but sounds like a ghost of it’s former self. Still no dealers list. Grant and John will be there but not Kookie. 

Nice haul. Yeah, surprised we didn’t see each other. Was a pretty small room. I didn’t see Steve either.

I was hanging around Kookie’s booth a lot with Grant and John. 

Too bad that guy at the back wall with tons of killer pulps wasn’t there. I brought a lot more cash this time. 

On 3/21/2022 at 11:34 AM, Hap Hazard said:

Here's my pic of my haul from the show, I was their all morning don't know how I missed seeing you!

Those early 60's digest all looked brand new, never read!

IMG_E0528.JPG

Nice Two-Fisteds there! Those are getting tough to bring home lately. The competition for them online has gotten pretty fierce.

The great thing about this show is the huge amount of material available for very reasonable prices. Even comics sometimes; but that selection is mostly reader books but some interesting stuff. I found an interesting box of National Lampoons but they were a little too beat for my taste. And if paperbacks are your thing man it's like heaven!!

Yes, you never what can turn up here. Two boardies posted pictures in addition to me, of what they picked up. If I had seen some of these items first, I would have bought them myself. Good to see there was enough good scores for all of us.

Here is one other thing I picked up. Not only is it a cool 1920’s baseball team photo, but, it has that cool automobile advertising angle. 

CF15FBB1-568F-4273-9FB7-AA1C5646CBC4.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

On 3/21/2022 at 4:54 PM, Robot Man said:

Yes, you never what can turn up here. Two boardies posted pictures in addition to me, of what they picked up. If I had seen some of these items first, I would have bought them myself. Good to see there was enough good scores for all of us.

Here is one other thing I picked up. Not only is it a cool 1920’s baseball team photo, but, it has that cool automobile advertising angle. 

CF15FBB1-568F-4273-9FB7-AA1C5646CBC4.jpeg

That's a gr8 pic. Those dudes all look like they're 5' 2" 95 lbs dripping wet, but still psyched to play ball :grin:

On 3/22/2022 at 1:50 PM, Robot Man said:

Please excuse an old guy to reminisce...

A couple of days ago I mentioned getting some new old stock T-Shirts from my buddy John. He had bought out the entire Graphite warehouse of back stock. One in particular brought back a flood of nostalgia.

Back in August of 1988 when the SDCC was still family, not about big books and was the weekend all us West Coast guys looked forward to, there was a special event.

4 guys who were big comic fans decided that the music on the Sat night party sucked decided to one up everybody. So Bill Mumy, Miguel Ferrer, Steve Leiahola, and Max Allen Collins who were all musicians formed Seduction of the Innocent to play at the 1988 party.  And what a night it was. Everybody turned out to party with them. I believe that Trina Robbins was first on the dance floor. And since it was Jack Kirby's birthday, the boys even played a slow number so Jack and Roz could glide the dance floor. What an incredible night one just one of many that made this con so magical. 

Check out the article below. In the 3rd photo Bill is wearing one of these shirts!

So, 34 years later, I have a brand new shirt to wear and remember this night. Thanks Johnny!

http://www.beatbrothersrecords.com/web/cd/cd_seduction_background.html

tshirtseductionofinnocent.jpeg

Very cool story; thanks for sharing.

Is he taking orders for shirts? ;)

On 3/22/2022 at 12:23 PM, manetteska said:

Very cool story; thanks for sharing.

Is he taking orders for shirts? ;)

He flipped most of them to a single seller but pulled out a bunch. He mentioned he would probably be putting them on eBay. I will notify you people when I hear he does.

Here are the rest he gave me. All original, vintage old stock. I had the Weird Science one from when it originally came out but just wore it out.

09692947-4379-400A-941F-E5D33AF83899.jpeg

545F40EE-ED3C-41E3-A375-E04669AE23B2.jpeg

88481127-6B50-46EF-B602-DB72CD6E223D.jpeg

FDCBB7A5-CF8A-4607-B519-FDAD64ED3AE4.jpeg

Well I made it. After 2 years, WonderCon is back.

Smooth and easy to get in. Had to stop for a quick vaccine check. (Passed with flying colors). Masks required. I have zero problem with it. 

Zero line to get my badge. Crowd seems light but it is early. Selling badges on site. Been a long time since that has happened. Lots of smiling faces.

Got wait for opening a bit. Hopefully, some cool books in the dealers micro area…

349329C8-B8A5-4B89-9958-BC0CA4EA3D52.jpeg

01B29F8C-14C8-4286-88F9-0556108F92EF.jpeg

BAC0D12B-26EC-4707-86C7-073965B2FFD5.jpeg