• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those lost in the Houston floods

14 posts in this topic

Is there a thread about the lost comics collections in the flooding?  I'm not making light of the loss of property, but I'm sure there are some members that may have substantial collections that are now under water.  Some of those collections and special books might include very rare items (like pedigrees) that can't be replaced.  Some might have books or collections are are more valuable than their homes?  Do we have a list started of the great losses of this disaster?  What about Original Art?

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

Probably wayyyy too early to know.

I've dealt with flooding here at my house for years, but thankfully NEVER at anything even remotely close to the level which Harvey produced. 

At this point, I'm sure that finding long-term shelter, the restoration of basic services, and clearing away debris so victims can actually get back to their homes and assess the damage is much more important to people than inventorying a comic book collection...

Edited by jools&jim

well, I'm glad to see a thread on the topic for those people who will need a place to talk about it when the time comes.  I know this forum has come together in the past on members behalf, to help in numerous different ways, and I'm sure we are not finished being a help as the future unfolds

The money I donate is a pie, and I seriously doubt a lost comic collection will get even a sliver of a slice.

I don't recall us ever raising money for lost comics. It would be nice to have such a luxury, but life has a funny way of getting in the way.

On 9/3/2017 at 3:58 PM, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

Is there a thread about the lost comics collections in the flooding?  I'm not making light of the loss of property, but I'm sure there are some members that may have substantial collections that are now under water.  Some of those collections and special books might include very rare items (like pedigrees) that can't be replaced.  Some might have books or collections are are more valuable than their homes?  Do we have a list started of the great losses of this disaster?  What about Original Art?

I saw the title of this thread and my mind went to the obvious. Then I read it. Really??? This is serious. There was a major loss of LIFE here.  Who cares about comics at a time like this? You want to pester some one who might of lost everything for a list of comic books lost in a flood? Why would you even suggest such a thing much the less start a thread about it? Sorry for the rant, but low blow...

The few posts I've seen on this were on the Hurricane Harvey Comic Book Store Info page on Facebook.  I'm not sure if they've contacted every store impacted, but the image below is from Watchtower Comics who claim they lost about $70K in product. Like others have stated, I think it might be too early too tell, and perhaps a little too sensitive a situation to broach this subject. For me, seeing that image of the FEMA truck stuck in floodwaters speaks to the devestation this hurricane has caused.

hurricane.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

25 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I saw the title of this thread and my mind went to the obvious. Then I read it. Really??? This is serious. There was a major loss of LIFE here.  Who cares about comics at a time like this? You want to pester some one who might of lost everything for a list of comic books lost in a flood? Why would you even suggest such a thing much the less start a thread about it? Sorry for the rant, but low blow...

This is a comics chat board. It seems logical to have these types of questions. There are plenty of places to read about the suffering and to figure out how one is going to help.  I'm not a huge fan of this type of thread either, but it is in line with what this Board is all about.

Hoping people and their pets are safe.  Same to those of our brethren in Florida and down in the Caribbean.  

These situations always make me wonder if I'd keep a collection if I moved to an area that had this potential.  On the flip side, other disasters can happen nearly anywhere.

Patrick

1 hour ago, followtheleader said:

Hoping people and their pets are safe.  Same to those of our brethren in Florida and down in the Caribbean.  

These situations always make me wonder if I'd keep a collection if I moved to an area that had this potential.  On the flip side, other disasters can happen nearly anywhere.

Patrick

Anyone, no matter where they live, that has a sizable amount of their net worth tied up in a collection and doesn't have it insured is playing with fire.

29 minutes ago, shadroch said:
1 hour ago, followtheleader said:

Patrick

Anyone, no matter where they live, that has a sizable amount of their net worth tied up in a collection and doesn't have it insured is playing with fire.

definitely if you live in a historic flood plain or other such disaster magnet.