• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Three Stolen Books--Please read
6 6

313 posts in this topic

Hey man Im Glad your safe ..Im in el monte all the time ...most shops by me were closed today so trying to sell them might of been hard. Make sure you go to frank and sons let those guys Know .

Edited by fatlab123

14 minutes ago, fatlab123 said:

Hey man Im Glad your safe ..Im in el monte all the time ...most shops by me were closed today so trying to sell them might of been hard. Make sure you go to frank and sons let those guys Know .

I actually know Frank and Sons personally.  Im friends with Bobby we use to play a lot of poker together  The cell phone number that I gave to the police is one of those throw away phones that you use and then throw away.  They tried to track it and it led to nowhere.  Im a hot head like a lot of you know and glad i didn't do anything.  It was a scary 5 min and I wanted to snap the one kids neck but I would have been shot.  I posted this mainly so you guys know what happening from CL.  Its no longer safe.  And to add to the story and I should have known better.  Earlier that morning I met a guy who wanted to look through my boxes.  he went through the short boxes and then picks out like 25-30 books and says let me go get some money.  He walks to parking lot and never comes back.  So after 5 min of standing there I call him, no answer so I say to myself thats odd and leave.  Long behold when I got robbed he was the one with the gun that got out of the Van.....clever to go through it all and know what you are robbing.  The short boxes were all the better Marvel and DC stuff.  Marvel had ASM, Avengers, xmen, FF, Dardevil, TTA, TOS.  The DC were mainly B&B, Showcase, Action, Detective and adventure.  Ill trade all the books for 5 minutes in a room with these three scumbags without any weapons.  

Thank you all for the kind words.  It makes me happy to be a member of this community.  Thank you for those who have called me I appreciate it.

27 minutes ago, fatlab123 said:

I obviously misunderstood another post....my fault.  The more dealers, locally and next-of-state that know....the better...

Edited by Mapleleafvann
Poorly jumping to a conclusion....

Just now, TheFifthHorseman said:

You should set up another comic related post on CL. See if these jokers are dumb enough to do it twice

This time they get a pool cue to the chin and a pair of handcuffs for their troubles

Or maybe don't do that...volence is never the answer *wink*

kr09y.jpg.42c802e65aeeeb823625779de6893cb3.jpg

Sorry this happened to you.  You made the right choices.  They probably ripped off a whole bunch of people like this so they might've been prepared for other reactions.  I wish I could rewrite your story to have a Steven Segal style ending.    

9 hours ago, JcomicJ said:

never use craigs list and if you do always call the local police before and sale they will tell you a place and a time to go to doit.

I use Craigslist to buy and sell stuff like used furniture or bicycles, worth a couple hundred bucks at the most. I figure thieves and scammers are going to aim higher.  The risks that someone is going to rob me of $200 I brought to their apartment to buy a table, or come to my place and steal a used kayak at gunpoint are pretty low. But, I would be leery of any transaction for items worth thousands. A buddy of mine got scammed by a craigslist thief who sold his room mate's car, unbeknownst to the room mate. Had all the paperwork and various non-photo ID, claiming his DL was confiscated for a DUI. It worked out, but required detective work and even a chase down of the suspect by my buddy.  

I'm not a fan of craigslist.  A few years ago we placed an ad for 3 cords of wood, that needed to be picked up at our house.  I met the guy at McDonalds.  He was going to pick it up the next day.  I was going to be at work so, I made it perfectly clear he was to pay my wife in full, before loading any wood.  He showed up.  My wife asked for the money.  He refused to pay until every stick was loaded.  My wife sat outside in the rain for 3 hours waiting for the money.  She got paid but still...

That is so brutal, it's sad to think that our hobby invites characters like that, although I guess when you're dealing with high-value collectibles... Not much you could do about it, and I echo everyone else saying that you did the right thing, that life's always more important than "things", no matter the value.

I guess the other take-away from this, as others have said, is not to use CL for higher-valued items. As much pain as Ebay is, for higher-valued items, I guess safety is one of its benefits!

After reading this I just deleted a craigslist posting I had going, very doubtful anyone is going to try and rob me of cheap comics but if I let them in my home and they case my place they could always come back...just not worth the b.s.

I was laughing when someone I had contacted suggested a meet up at a mall but now I kind of get it.

Glad to hear you're all good though! You never know what a desperate criminal might be willing to do!