• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Three Stolen Books--Please read
6 6

313 posts in this topic

Just now, NoMan said:

For those posting here thinking the cops in Southern California care. They don't. At all. 

There's a LOT going on down there.  I agree, I don't think this is a high priority for them.  Not because it's not serious, but because there's enough solvable cases with better evidence where resources can be put to more efficient use with more efficient outcomes.  That being said, I think if they got an actionable tip they'd move quickly enough.  Your best hope is for the items to turn up online or at a comic or pawn shop and for those people to call the police.

As for fingerprints, yah they're probably not sending it to homeland security or fbi for full analysis on this type of crime.  Or the prints just didn't hit.  That certainly happens too.

1 hour ago, IntoAnother said:

I hear you, and I looked at the other side as well but quickly disregarded it.

I personally can't justify a transaction like this when it can most likely be avoided by just paying the 3% or 4% in PayPal fees and mailing the books out.

Even the OP has stated he's not really sweating the books because they were "left overs" or "extras" or whatever he referred to them as. If that was the case then he should have taken them to a local shop, tossed them on eBay in auction, sold them here, etc... and paid the fees. 

Now the OP is planning on more face to face interactions "strapped", yet a $30k loss in books isn't really a big deal to him? 

Then why carry a gun at all?

Someone may just catch a glimpse of it and take action thinking he's about to rob them. So many variables are added in when a gun is in the mix. Now we are talking about carrying a gun to save a few bucks on comic books after he has claimed to have just been robbed at gun point.  :facepalm:

And have you ever posted a book? You know how long it takes to take a front and back pic and post a book on eBay? On here? Keep invoices? Package and mail book? Clearly you don't know how much time that takes. 

You up know how much time it takes a guy to look through a box, pick out books, pay you cash and leave? I thought you're part of this community. eBay and PayPal fees have nothing to do with anything. I work a full time career as a solar rep hence the name. This is a hobby I have that I love and I make money on the side. I don't have all the time in the world. Think about that. Let it sink it lol. 

10 minutes ago, revat said:

There's a LOT going on down there.  I agree, I don't think this is a high priority for them.  Not because it's not serious, but because there's enough solvable cases with better evidence where resources can be put to more efficient use with more efficient outcomes.  That being said, I think if they got an actionable tip they'd move quickly enough.  Your best hope is for the items to turn up online or at a comic or pawn shop and for those people to call the police.

As for fingerprints, yah they're probably not sending it to homeland security or fbi for full analysis on this type of crime.  Or the prints just didn't hit.  That certainly happens too.

I glad the OP is safe and I hope an outcome happens to his liking. I have lived in Southern California for 30 years and have had numerous dealings with the LAPD over any number of things (including robbery and assault) as have many of my friends. I base my experience on the police here on those dealings. 

8 minutes ago, SOLAR BOY said:

And have you ever posted a book? You know how long it takes to take a front and back pic and post a book on eBay? On here? Keep invoices? Package and mail book? Clearly you don't know how much time that takes. 

You up know how much time it takes a guy to look through a box, pick out books, pay you cash and leave? I thought you're part of this community. eBay and PayPal fees have nothing to do with anything. I work a full time career as a solar rep hence the name. This is a hobby I have that I love and I make money on the side. I don't have all the time in the world. Think about that. Let it sink it lol. 

Takes less time to scan and post of ebay than it does, loading up the car, driving to where you need to go, wait for the guy to show up if he's late and have him flip through the box then load up the car again and drive back only to unload it all again.  

18 minutes ago, SOLAR BOY said:

Protect the community? That comical. What the hell would I be scamming exactly? I don't need sympathy or want any and I made that clear. And I sold books for my move and my friends on here know I moved to Sacramento from la. 

Just move along with your nonsense man. Defending the community. 

People with a lot more posts? My point is I do threads to help people fill collections. You were acting like I need to save money on By using CL lol.  You're funny. That's the reason I brought up my posts. A lot of the collections that I sell on here I make little profit to help others. Not sure were you are coming from but go post your nonsense elsewhere please. You're alone on this and no one needs your comments here. 

I haven't the slightest idea what your angle may or may not be. That's not my concern. All I care about in this thread is hoping that everything is on the up and up, just as several others are as well.

Several board members have been taken advantage of based off of lies. Perhaps you recall the Go Fund Me scam that was launched off these boards by another member. It's unfortunate that it happens just like robbery, but it also can be avoided at times just like a robbery. 

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

I think so. Hope so to as I just got a policy. 

I just paid my policy today. I recently added a safe and spoke to an underwriter to see if it qualified for a discount. It didn't as it isn't 350 pounds.  I asked her about this and she wasn't sure., especially as I have a collectors policy, not a dealers. 

Offered to connect me to an underwriter but I wasn't that interested.  The $328 a year I spend on it is a great investment, as far as I'm concerned.

56 minutes ago, SOLAR BOY said:

Yes I buy, sell, mail books, dig in boxes, create invoices, scan books, etc...just as many of us do.

It's just part of the hobby for some of us, so if that's your argument you're losing me. Kevin76 already pointed out the main reasons why so I won't repeat them. 

I dont know if you have already answered this but during the first altercation when the guy just looked at the comics and did not come back....was this at the same location or a different location? If it was at a different location it's possible there might have been cameras that got footage of the guy or his car. Have you tried looking up that possibility? @SOLAR BOY

1 minute ago, DarkPhantom13 said:

I dont know if you have already answered this but during the first altercation when the guy just looked at the comics and did not come back....was this at the same location or a different location? If it was at a different location it's possible there might have been cameras that got footage of the guy or his car. Have you tried looking up that possibility? @SOLAR BOY

Good question. As I read it, he met a guy and that guy left to go get money and after 5 minutes he wasn't answering. Some other guy ended up looking at books and the original guy was now a gunman. I was curious how the meet up after the first guy left happened. 

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

Takes less time to scan and post of ebay than it does, loading up the car, driving to where you need to go, wait for the guy to show up if he's late and have him flip through the box then load up the car again and drive back only to unload it all again.  

Absolute bs. But good effort. 

1 hour ago, IntoAnother said:

I haven't the slightest idea what your angle may or may not be. That's not my concern. All I care about in this thread is hoping that everything is on the up and up, just as several others are as well.

Several board members have been taken advantage of based off of lies. Perhaps you recall the Go Fund Me scam that was launched off these boards by another member. It's unfortunate that it happens just like robbery, but it also can be avoided at times just like a robbery. 

I don't know about that scam or whatever happened. Am I here asking for anything? Donations? Or  please by my books so I can make money back thread? No. I'm here to inform only. You've turned me trying to spread some info into an attack on me. Awesome thank you. 

1 hour ago, DarkPhantom13 said:

Best question yet. The first was  on the outside tables of s Starbucks like 15 miles away. Police went there and check cameras there and the cameras only show the front. We were nowhere near there unfortunately. 

59 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

Good question. As I read it, he met a guy and that guy left to go get money and after 5 minutes he wasn't answering. Some other guy ended up looking at books and the original guy was now a gunman. I was curious how the meet up after the first guy left happened. 

Let me re explain this. I got two hits on my add the day before. One I spoke to on the phone and other text me. It turned out being the same guy on two different phones. He was the first guy I met. Looked through the books and was acting like he had money in the car to buy the books and literally just vanished. 

After waiting 5 min I tried to call him it went to voicemail. I waited another like 5 min then said whatever wha a insufficiently_thoughtful_person and started to drive home. On the drive home I get a call from the other person who was texting me the night before. He said he could meet in El Monte and asked when I could get there. It was on my way home so I told him 20 min. 

When i I got there they were late. The rest I already explained. 

I thought it was two different people, two different hits to my post, two different buyers. I wanted to meet the second buyer since the first buyer did what he did to me. It turns out it was the same guy orchestrating both meets. 

9 minutes ago, SOLAR BOY said:

Let me re explain this. I got two hits on my add the day before. One I spoke to on the phone and other text me. It turned out being the same guy on two different phones. He was the first guy I met. Looked through the books and was acting like he had money in the car to buy the books and literally just vanished. 

After waiting 5 min I tried to call him it went to voicemail. I waited another like 5 min then said whatever wha a insufficiently_thoughtful_person and started to drive home. On the drive home I get a call from the other person who was texting me the night before. He said he could meet in El Monte and asked when I could get there. It was on my way home so I told him 20 min. 

When i I got there they were late. The rest I already explained. 

I thought it was two different people, two different hits to my post, two different buyers. I wanted to meet the second buyer since the first buyer did what he did to me. It turns out it was the same guy orchestrating both meets. 

Gotcha. 

26 minutes ago, SOLAR BOY said:

Absolute bs. But good effort. 

No it's not BS, You can make eBay templates with pre filled info. Just sit down and make scans and just drop in pictures, if a listing takes you more than 1 minute to put up, you're doing it wrong.  Better than being robbed at gun point doing it your way.  

16 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

No it's not BS, You can make eBay templates with pre filled info. Just sit down and make scans and just drop in pictures, if a listing takes you more than 1 minute to put up, you're doing it wrong.  Better than being robbed at gun point doing it your way.  

I agree about it being better than being robbed at gunpoint.  But my threads are 100-150 books or more per thread.  Its very very time consuming when I work full time.  Meeting someone in person is usually very easy and very fast.  Ive sold to hundreds from CL.

FWIW I shared this incident and post on my Facebook timeline because I saw the merits of spreading awareness on the risks of transacting with strangers.

There is no doubt in my mind that was your intention, and I'm really not sure why others have tried to steer the discussion in other directions.

What I will say is that your description has the earmarks of a criminal element that will sooner use what they stole to stage their next robbery before they would fence it.

I'm with @comix4fun on the seriousness of the crime, and it's your call, but if this happened to me, I'd be just as concerned for someone local getting robbed by using your comics as the bait.

Edited by comicwiz