• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

On 10/22/2022 at 1:35 PM, Bosco685 said:

Or, we have a professional perform the analysis instead of comparing oddball orange/apple mixes.

:roflmao:

That's a lot of caveats, yo.

Might as well say "Best opening for a DC superhero movie starring a racial minority that opened in January of a leap year."

Also - "core four?"

I've heard of the Trinity (Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman) but not that one -- how does it make sense to include Aquaman and not The Flash, Cyborg or even Green Lantern?

On 10/22/2022 at 10:35 AM, Bosco685 said:

Or, we have a professional perform the analysis instead of comparing oddball orange/apple mixes.

Anything can appear "successful" if you put a half dozen qualifiers on it.  

Taken as is , given Dwayne's alleged star power and all the raving fan reviews, relative to what it cost, this is a pretty terrible result.  

-J.

On 10/22/2022 at 2:13 PM, Gatsby77 said:

That's a lot of caveats, yo.

Might as well say "Best opening for a DC superhero movie starring a racial minority that opened in January of a leap year."

Also - "core four?"

I've heard of the Trinity (Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman) but not that one -- how does it make sense to include Aquaman and not The Flash, Cyborg or even Green Lantern?

On 10/22/2022 at 3:13 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Anything can appear "successful" if you put a half dozen qualifiers on it.  

Taken as is , given Dwayne's alleged star power and all the raving fan reviews, relative to what it cost, this is a pretty terrible result.  

-J.

You three are the funniest for the longest time. But keep going. This movie is too good for your like.

Just got out of it as well....it certainly is one of the superhero movies of all time.

I'm happy we finally are at a point where the filmmakers are confident in the audience to not get confused when a handful of brand new characters are introduced without elaborate origins or exposition. Pretty much every character feels authentic to their comic book counter parts (with the lone exception of Atom Smasher, which felt like it is now a rule if you have that mask you by default have to act like the token goof/deadpool). Effects for the most part looked okay, though there are some very poor scenes that looked outright laughable in quality (landscapes, faces pasted on different bodies poorly, and most shots involving Sabbac). The Rock was very good as Black Adam, and obviously Doctor Fate stole each scene he was in (its entirely possible I went into this movie too hyped up just because of how much I've been looking forward to seeing him). The origin 'twist' for Black Adam I felt was handled well, and was perhaps the best part of the story (though it would have been nice for the trailer to not spoil that entire reveal)

Structurally the film is messy though, and features some very cumbersome dialogue (which was very repetitive at times...I don't think they could resist going five minutes without saying the words hero, kill, good/evil...just in case you forgot the themes of the movie since the last scene). It being so heavy handed and on the nose with its messaging isn't necessarily a bad thing, but YMMV with it and how cringe you might find it. From a technical/film standpoint (plot, pacing, --script, editing etc) and the fact it didn't do anything that felt fresh, I can totally see why critics are justifiably hating on it. For comic fans however, especially starved DC fans, the characters being done right with fight scenes feeling straight out of a comic (though too much slow motion) is enough to feel the movie delivered and perhaps allow fans to be more forgiving with its many shortcomings.

Edited by Sauce Dog

There was stakes in this story with individuals and an entire city (if not the world depending on how things played out), there was some character buildup to ensure we were clear why things mattered, and there were emotions between characters that translated to the audience. It was pretty clear why the audience was engaged the way they were.

But I have to agree. If you came into this looking for some strongly structured story with steady buildup throughout, you will force yourself to declare elements or the whole movie disappointing. That's a personal thing though if that is how anyone wants to go into a comic book movie to ruin their experience.

It's a theater movie with plenty of big scenes to enjoy on the screen with an audience to charge up the experience even further due to their excitement and reactions.

On 10/22/2022 at 6:13 PM, Bosco685 said:

There was stakes in this story with individuals and an entire city (if not the world depending on how things played out), there was some character buildup to ensure we were clear why things mattered, and there were emotions between characters that translated to the audience. It was pretty clear why the audience was engaged the way they were.

But I have to agree. If you came into this looking for some strongly structured story with steady buildup throughout, you will force yourself to declare elements or the whole movie disappointing. That's a personal thing though if that is how anyone wants to go into a comic book movie to ruin their experience.

It's a theater movie with plenty of big scenes to enjoy on the screen with an audience to charge up the experience even further due to their excitement and reactions.

I didn't expect a strong story though, It's about expecting the same basic care for -script/plot/arc composition that I expect from all films by default - comic book movies do not get a pass just because some might dismiss them as 'theatre movies'. Consider that they could have ended this movie with Black Adams capture after the plane scene and it would have felt like a natural stopping point - as the build up to Sabbac, or the notion of the dangers he could unleash, wasn't at all a driving force in the narrative (or why he should not physically sit on the throne all of a sudden). A -script and movie overall can be very messy yet still be enjoyable, which is why I think most fans will find this movie is a perfectly serviceable single viewing experience.

Nostaligia for Doctor Fate and the JSA means seeing this film made it worth my money in the end, but it certainly doesn't feel like it would be worth it for the vast majority of people that are not invested in some way already.

On 10/22/2022 at 6:33 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I didn't expect a strong story though, It's about expecting the same basic care for --script/plot/arc composition that I expect from all films by default - comic book movies do not get a pass just because some might dismiss them as 'theatre movies'. Consider that they could have ended this movie with Black Adams capture after the plane scene and it would have felt like a natural stopping point - as the build up to Sabbac, or the notion of the dangers he could unleash, wasn't at all a driving force in the narrative (or why he should not physically sit on the throne all of a sudden). A --script and movie overall can be very messy yet still be enjoyable, which is why I think most fans will find this movie is a perfectly serviceable single viewing experience.

Nostaligia for Doctor Fate and the JSA means seeing this film made it worth my money in the end, but it certainly doesn't feel like it would be worth it for the vast majority of people that are not invested in some way already.

I guess we will find out over the weeks, won't we?

:popcorn:

On 10/22/2022 at 6:43 PM, Bosco685 said:

I guess we will find out over the weeks, won't we?

:popcorn:

Yup. I think the movie will do very well at the box office in the short term, as there are many things to draw a wide variety of people to it for at least a single viewing. I'm interested in seeing what, if any, legs it has and how word of mouth will be among non-comic book fans.

On 10/22/2022 at 7:35 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Yup. I think the movie will do very well at the box office in the short term, as there are many things to draw a wide variety of people to it for at least a single viewing. I'm interested in seeing what, if any, legs it has and how word of mouth will be among non-comic book fans.

It is incredible that the mid-credits scene was just filmed recently. As it was Hamada that was having Black Adam insert another headless scene.

Spoiler

That would have brought ridicule for sure after Shazam's scene.

This might be asking a bit much, but in the film is there any hint of Black Adam and Atom Smasher's friendship that existed in the fantastic Johns' JSA run? Anything that leads one to think it could potentially happen down the line? 

On 10/22/2022 at 6:42 PM, Cat said:

I highly recommend her Secret Six run. The original, not the New 52 reboot one. 

Great Wonder Woman run, Birds of Prey too. 

On 10/22/2022 at 9:33 PM, Cat said:

This might be asking a bit much, but in the film is there any hint of Black Adam and Atom Smasher's friendship that existed in the fantastic Johns' JSA run? Anything that leads one to think it could potentially happen down the line? 

They have a very brief moment at the very end, but it really just comes across like Black Adam trying to be nice towards the resident dummy :D

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 10/22/2022 at 8:54 PM, Sauce Dog said:
On 10/22/2022 at 8:33 PM, Cat said:

They have a very brief moment at the very end, but it really just comes across like Black Adam trying to be nice towards the resident dummy :D

If @Cat hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have seen nor known the connection. Lol

On 10/22/2022 at 12:05 PM, jsilverjanet said:

And I’ll blame Marvel for putting out mediocre movies the past year 

Mediocrity is insulted that you used it to describe the mess that was Thor Love & Thunder....................................

On 10/22/2022 at 8:42 AM, D84 said:

Critics clearly represent the general public. :roflmao:

Screenshot_20221022-093907_Chrome.thumb.jpg.49225faa4dd70add3eb3e5717b40db94.jpg

Screenshot_20221022-094141_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ea31ce8b4d9f0a221803d36fb967972f.jpg

How the hell can critics like She-Hulk? I tried watching episode 1 and stopped. Based on posts here and input from friends I trust, I will not bother trying to watch it since it is apparently that terrible.

Edited by kimik

On 10/22/2022 at 10:03 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If @Cat hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have seen nor known the connection. Lol

In this case this is THE first meeting between these characters. So of course we are not going to see any of that yet. Just like in the comic books where Black Adam existed since 1945. So many decades later he engaged with Atom Smasher, is involved with events that leads to gaining his respect and over time his friendship.

During their tenure on JSA, writers Geoff Johns and David S. Goyer redefined Adam's personality and background, focusing on the character's old-fashioned and militant ideals of justice, and his officious and strongly opinionated attitude. Despite this, he has stated on many occasions that he respects the Justice Society, particularly members such as Jay Garrick. Several other JSA members are shown to be skeptical of Adam's reformation; primary among them is the Atom Smasher, who later becomes Adam's close friend after Adam sympathizes with his decision to kill the near-immortal Extant to save his mother.

This was not that story just yet. Though in the movie, we see Atom Smasher trying to bond with Teth-Adam by saying it was good teaming up with him. But it is an early stage in their relationship.