• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

I knew Black Adam from the book Shazam! From the Forties to the Seventies, which reprinted his origin story from Marvel Family 1. I also had a Marvel Family 1 which I sold before It became such a big book. When I first heard that The Rock was doing the role, I thought it was excellent casting.

On 10/25/2022 at 10:13 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I'm not trying to start a debate or trying to trigger anyone but since when has Black Adam been popular?  I never heard of him before a year or two ago.  I knew Shazam but he was never really that popular in my generation so I'm confused why Black Adam was so anticipated...

Black Adam wasn't "popular" before this movie, but he will be now. The movie was highly-anticipated by some mainly because it's been in production for 15 years, and the JSA is in it.

On 10/26/2022 at 6:56 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Black Adam wasn't "popular" before this movie, but he will be now. The movie was highly-anticipated by some mainly because it's been in production for 15 years, and the JSA is in it.

Agree. 

Weird character history given that he only appeared once (in Marvel Family # 1) and then not again until 30+ years later in Shazam 28.

But - as mentioned above - he wasn't really a thing until the the early 2000s - with the aforementioned JSA run and then in Infinite Crisis, 52, etc.

Likewise with his inclusion in the Injustice video game (2013). Had that been released 10 years earlier, he wouldn't have made the cut.

On 10/26/2022 at 7:58 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Agree. 

Weird character history given that he only appeared once (in Marvel Family # 1) and then not again until 30+ years later in Shazam 28.

But - as mentioned above - he wasn't really a thing until the the early 2000s - with the aforementioned JSA run and then in Infinite Crisis, 52, etc.

Likewise with his inclusion in the Injustice video game (2013). Had that been released 10 years earlier, he wouldn't have made the cut.

We need to reflect back on his 1990's relaunch in The Power of Shazam with Black Adam as a key villain by Jerry Ordway that to this day is considered a huge hit.

4d2f91f47725f0326a70916284083803.jpeg.99abfd7c37366775fd4958e6f4894d5e.jpeg

On 10/26/2022 at 3:01 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

You're probably the biggest Shazam fan that I know of on these boards. It might make you happy to know that I ordered 6 Shazam (and Black Adam) TPBs after seeing Black Adam. :)

Grazie mille for the compliment, I try. Captain Marvel and Marvel Family stories and adventures are a fun entertaining read. As Bosco685 mentioned, Jerry Ordway's "The Power of Shazam!" series elegantly resurrected the original Fawcett mythos of these timeless characters.  Hope you find them refreshing and enjoyable as many other fans do as well.  :foryou:

706976642_shazamvsblackadam.png.a080605e02beb8e56d01f641e4e9ad96.png

On 10/26/2022 at 10:16 AM, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Grazie mille for the compliment, I try. Captain Marvel and Marvel Family stories and adventures are a fun entertaining read. As Bosco685 mentioned, Jerry Ordway's "The Power of Shazam!" series elegantly resurrected the original Fawcett mythos of these timeless characters.  Hope you find them refreshing and enjoyable as many other fans do as well.  :foryou:

I may have to find and order that one. The 4 Shazam books that were ordered are Origins (New 52, which I've read before), The Seven Magic Lands, Superman vs Shazam, and the Trials of Shazam. Ever since reading the New 52 JL stuff, I have been a fan, but it's been hard to find collected editions that look good to me.

Really enjoyed this one. I actually felt pleased for The Rock for getting to finally make this film! Then again I am a big fan of the guy.

It’s got it’s flaws, mostly around some the extras and how I wish they’d tighten up some of the dialogue. JSA were awesome to see though, Hawkman was excellent.

I like how they left things at the end and the credit tease was hopefully a sign of good things to come.

On 10/26/2022 at 10:16 AM, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

When they had Black Adam come back in The Power of Shazam #9 (1995) I really appreciated the artwork throughout.

POS9_13.thumb.jpg.ea5dcab87e6d4b71e25b8dede16fc999.jpg

Good times!

On 10/26/2022 at 4:13 PM, kimik said:

Going to catch it with some boardie friends on Friday. Looking forward to it.

Just set expectations that the first 15-20 minutes is a slow buildup. After that, back-to-back action.

On 10/26/2022 at 5:51 PM, media_junkie said:

If there is a third person in the theater will it be back-to-back-to-back action?  Or does it just stop at back-to-back?  :nyah:

They were issuing Black Adam sabers at my theater

swords.thumb.gif.3e338f20d8af807096f807509c8e3f79.gif

On 10/26/2022 at 8:39 AM, Bosco685 said:

We need to reflect back on his 1990's relaunch in The Power of Shazam with Black Adam as a key villain by Jerry Ordway that to this day is considered a huge hit.

4d2f91f47725f0326a70916284083803.jpeg.99abfd7c37366775fd4958e6f4894d5e.jpeg

I guess I’m old because I don’t count the 90’s as old but as modern!😂